main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends Voices ~ (Luke, Ben, some Mara) ~ Angst - One shot ~~ Authors Thanks!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by mavjade , Apr 18, 2010.

1. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Title: Voices
    Author: mavjade
    Characters: Ben, Luke, some Mara
    Genre: Angst, father and son relationships.
    Summary: Father and son share a story throughout their lives.

Notes: I wrote this for a HUGE prompt table I started over on LJ. The prompt was "Tell me a story. Do all the voices."

5/10/15 - Truncation fix
    ~*~*~*~
    Luke awoke to a sound he was becoming very familiar with. Screaming.

"Just let him cry, he'll stop in a few minutes," Mara said.

"Are you sure? Maybe I should just go get him," Luke responded as he started to get out of the bed.

"Luke," Mara said as she grabbed his arm, "I promise he will be okay. He's getting old enough to learn to sooth himself. Just let him cry for a little while."

Laying back down, Luke sighed, "Okay. How do you know so much about this anyway?"

"What, you think my upbringing didn't teach me child rearing?" Mara asked with an incredulous stare.

Luke laughed, "No, somehow I don't think it included such skills."

"It's called research, farmboy. Heard of it?"

Luke smiled at his wife but did not comment. He slid out of the bed and started walking toward his son's room. "But he still hasn't stopped. I think I'll just go check on him."

Mara laughed and sat up to look her husband in the eyes, "He'll have to learn some time."

"I know."

"And so will you," she said under her breath, and she flopped back into the bed.

Luke tiptoed into his son's room intending to just check on him, to see with his own eyes that his son was alright, but as soon as he looked into the crib Ben's blue eyes locked on to his own and the crying ceased.

"Were you just lonely, Ben? Or were you scared?" Luke wanted to pick up his son to comfort him but he knew if he did, the chances of him going back to bed were pretty slim. So instead he pulled up a chair and sat down beside the crib and began to speak.

"How about I tell you a story until you fall asleep?" Luke asked Ben who was content to hear his father's voice. "Once upon a time..."

~*~*~

Luke awoke to the sound of a scream. Reaching out in the Force as a reflex he could tell no one was in the apartment other than himself, Mara and Ben. He looked over to his wife who had an exasperated look on her face. She had clearly already determined on her own that there was no danger but was just too tired to deal with the drama tonight.

"I'll go," Luke said with a sigh. "I guess it's my turn anyway."

"Mm hm.." was his wife's sleepy reply.

Luke tried to keep calm. He had known frustration and sleepless nights were part of the deal when he and Mara became parents but it was starting to wear both of them down.

He entered the room and sat down on the bed beside Ben. "What's wrong, Ben?"

"Bad dweam," replied the child as he climbed into his father's lap.

Luke pulled his son close and simply healed him for a few minutes. After the boy had calmed down Luke asked what the dream had been about.

"Bad men takin' me away from you and momma. I don't wanna go, Daddy," Ben began to cry again.

The first few times Ben had this dream, Luke and Mara wondered if this was actually a dream or something more sinister. Ben had already shown remarkable talent and sensitivity in the Force and they worried that it could be a vision. After several months and several checks of their security system they both determined that it was just the typical dream of a young child.

"Ben, there are no bad men that are going to get you. Momma and I would never let that happen."

"But..."

"No but, son. How about we go check the doors and the security system so you can see that nothing can get in?"

"Okay," came the still frightened voice.

After successfully proving that the security system would keep the bad men out Luke took Ben back to his bed. "How about I tell you a story?"

Ben nodded his head and he cuddled his stuffed bantha closer to his chest.

"Once upon a time there was a young boy who wanted more than anything to live on a different planet..."

~*~*~

"Mom? Dad?" Ben asked as he woke from a deep sleep.

"Ben," Mara sighed, happy to see her son's baby blue eyes open and looking at her.

Ben looked around not quite sure where he was. He could not get his eyes to focus and his head felt as though it were splitting in two. "What happened?"

"You don't remember?" Luke asked trying to keep the panic out of his voice.

"Kral and I were playing in the woods, I saw a tugi fruit on a branch and wanted to get to it. I... climbed the tree?"

"Yes, you did Ben. What else do you remember?" Mara asked her voice shaking just the slightest bit.

"I was climbing and.... my head really hurts."

"I'll go get Cilgal," Mara said as she kissed Ben gently on the head.

Luke sat down in Mara's chair beside the bed, smiling at this son.

"Am I in trouble?" Ben asked sounding like the eight year old they sometimes forgot he was.

"No son, you aren't in trouble. Your mother is just worried and you know how she hates to worry."

"Yeah..."

"How about you try and get some sleep, that will help your head. I'll tell you a story."

"Daaad..." Ben protested. He felt like he was too old to be told a story while he was going to sleep.

"Humor your old father, son. It will make me feel better."

Ben sighed, "I guess."

"Once upon a time there was a young man who wanted more than anything to live on a different planet. He begged and begged to be allowed to leave but his uncle would not let him. One day the boy ran into a strange old man..."

"Hey Dad," Ben's sleepy voice interrupted the story.

"Yes Ben?"

"Don't forget the voices this time, okay?"

Luke chuckled to himself, "I won't."

~*~*~

Luke was startled awake by one of the most dreadful sounds he had ever heard. It was the sound of a terrified Ben screaming in his sleep. Luke sprang out of bed and ran to his son's room hoping to be able to pull him out of the nightmare before it became worse.

"Ben," Luke called as he gently shook his son. "Ben, it's alright. It's over."

The young boy continued to thrash about in his sleep, whimpers and yells escaping from his mouth.

"Ben!" Luke called louder. "Ben, wake up for me! It's over, there is nothing to be scared of anymore."

With another scream, Ben sat straight up in the bed.

Luke stoked his son's back, "It's okay Ben, it's okay."

Tears began to roll down Ben's face but he said nothing. Luke knew better than to try and get his teenage son to talk. Luke knew what the dreams were about anyhow. After Ben and been tortured by his cousin and his mother killed, there had been too much to do, too much to accomplish for him to dwell on the things that had happened. But after Caedus' death and the galaxy had begun to mend, it was too much for a boy of 15 to handle.

He began having nightmares, flashbacks, and the occasional fits of rage soon after things had begun to calm down. He had originally wanted to stay in the dorms with the other Jedi Knights but he was so disruptive in his sleep that Luke thought it would be better for him to live with his father for a little while.

After sitting with his son for a while, rubbing his back and whispering words of encouragement Luke felt like Ben was calming down. "You alright now?"

Ben simply nodded his head.

"I'll let you try and go back to sleep. You know you can always come get me if you need me, right?"

Ben laid back down, nodding at his father's question.

Luke stood up and began walking back to his own room when a quiet voice stopped him.

"Will you tell me a story?" Ben asked, sounding younger than his years.

"Of course," Luke said walking back to sit on the edge of the bed.

"Voices?"

"Always. Once upon a time there was a young man who wanted more than anything to live on a different planet. He begged and begged to be allowed to leave but his uncle would not let him. One day the boy ran into a strange old man who told him of a different kind of life he could lead, a life of magic and princesses, swords made of light and travels to far off lands... "

~*~*~

Ben could feel it would not be long. His father's presence in the Force was growing weaker by the minute. He had lived a long life, and done more things than hundreds of men could claim they had done; he had saved lives, taken a few, taught hundreds, if not thousands of would be Jedi. Ben did not want his father to leave but he knew that was a selfish thought. It had been a long time since his mother had died and he knew that his father missed her everyday.

"Dad?" Ben whispered to see if his father was still with him enough to interact.

"Ben..." came his father's weak reply.

"I love you, dad. It's okay, we'll be okay. I'm sure mom is waiting."

"She is."

Tears began to fall from Ben's eyes and he held his father's hand and he watched as he could almost see the life, the Force leaving his father's body.

"Tell me a story," his father whispered almost inaudibly.

"Yeah, dad. Okay."

"Voices..."

Ben could not reply immediately because he knew if he did he would begin to sob. Taking a deep breath and clearing his throat he began.

"Once upon a time, a long time ago, there was a boy..."

~Fin

2. Irish_Jedi_Jade

Irish_Jedi_Jade Jedi Master star 4

Jul 19, 2007
    First!! :D

That was beautiful!!!! Lovely lovely lovely job...wonderful, I loved how you chose to weave something like a story through their lives. I loved every time period, and that was the perfect ending!

Huggles,
    [face_good_luck] Irish

3. dancing_star

dancing_star Jedi Master star 4

Feb 24, 2007
    :_|
    This was absolutely gorgeous!! =D= @};- I loved seeing Luke and Ben's relationship through the years, and I loved the way you linked it all together with that story. [face_love] The ending, although sad, was beautiful and a perfect way to end it. Amazing, amazing job! =D= I loved it! [:D]

4. Wifflesnip

Wifflesnip Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 22, 2008
    That was...that was...:_| very, very beautiful. I just loved the Luke/Ben relationship; I loved the NJO and DNT sections mostly because we have so little in canon, Luke never really seemed to spend time with Ben (which I know is a lie [face_not_talking] as your story proves, farmboy is a very attentive dad). I particularly love the LotF era section, Luke caring for his son after all the horrible things that had happened to them both :(. As the last scene...it's the way it should end =D=.

Well done, a fantastic piece.@};-

5. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Gorgeous and moving =D= So glad youf ound time to write mav! @};- The theme of a story and voices was unique and felt so right and true to the characters.

[:D]

[:D]

6. lost_lauries_grapes

lost_lauries_grapes Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 27, 2006
    That was beautiful. And oh so so sad.

"Voices..."

Ben could not reply immediately because he knew if he did he would begin to sob. Taking a deep breath and clearing his throat he began.

"Once upon a time, a long time ago, there was a boy..."

:_|

Peace,
    Bea

7. dm1

dm1 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 9, 2004
    Beautiful, touching, and so well done!

The recurrent theme of the story, Luke's story, was inspired. To have Ben tell it to Luke as he is passing on just completed the circle.

I loved it!

8. Tarsier

Tarsier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 31, 2005
    That was great! Beautiful. I feel so sorry for 15-year-old Ben, but at least he has his father. And the end is so sad, but the perfect finish. A really interesting idea and very well-executed.

9. SithGirl132

SithGirl132 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 6, 2005
    :_| So sad by the end. And so well-done! I shall have to check out some of these LJ fanfic-prompts...

10. Jedi_Jinx

Jedi_Jinx Jedi Youngling

Apr 16, 2010
    Oh, that was just wonderful! A bit sad at the end but I really loved how Luke would go and comfort this son, no matter how tired he was. What a great father he was.

=D= =D=

11. juneau

juneau Jedi Youngling

Oct 11, 2009
    Such sadness, but written so beautifully. :) I loved how you handled each snippet of time, the development of Ben's nightmares and Luke's story. Just lovely!

-jun.

12. kataja

kataja Jedi Master star 4

May 4, 2007
    Amazing little story; so beautifully simple in idea, so wonderfully brought out and so well balanced! I loved every piece of this!

13. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Irish: Thank you so much! The idea of telling the story throughout their lives jumped out at me as soon as I read the prompt. It felt like something that would have to be passed on down the line!
    Thanks for reading, girl! [:D]

dancing_star: Thank you, star! I'm a sucker for Ben and Luke stories and this felt like something that they could have just the two of them. Sorry about the sadness, my muse seems to not like happy endings! :(
    Thank you for reading! [:D]

Wifflesnip: I"m sorry it was sad, my muse likes the angst! I agree that it seemed like Luke didn't spend a lot of time with Ben in the books and it broke my heart! (Which they did rectify somewhat in LotF!)
    Thank you for reading, I'm glad you enjoyed it!!

Jade_eyes: Thanks so much, girl! I hoping to find more time to write this summer since they cut back with our work schedule but with planning my wedding and trying to buy a house, it might not be as much as I would like. :(
    I'm glad the story felt true to the characters!
    Thanks for reading!! [:D]

lost_lauries_grapes: Thank you! That part was hard to write, I was tearing up as I wrote it.
    Thanks so much for reading!

dm1: Thanks!! As soon as I read the prompt it felt like a story that had to be passed on from Luke to Ben!
    Thank you for reading! I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Tarsier: Thank you! I felt so sorry for Ben when Mara died, it would be awful to lose a parent at any age but to be a teenager I think would be the worst. :(
    Thank you for reading and your kind comments! I'm glad you enjoyed it!

SithGirl132: Thanks SithGirl! I'm sorry it was sad, mu muse is just like that! You should check out some LJ prompt communities. This one came from Fanfic Smorgasbord and if you like one word promts Fanfic 100 is pretty good too!
    Thanks for reading!! [:D]

Jedi_Jinx: Thank you! I've always thought that Luke is a great father even though we don't get to see it very much in the books!
    Thank you for taking the time to read and review!

juneau: Thank you! It took a while for me to figure out how to get a tween Ben to have a story told to him so having him get hurt seemed like the logical progression.
    Thank you for leaving kind comments!

kataja: Thank you so much! Sometimes the simple things tend to make the most impact! I'm glad you enjoyed it!
    Thanks for reading!

14. Jade_Pilot

Jade_Pilot Jedi Master star 5

Dec 10, 2005
    Lovely! Simply lovely. *sigh* I love everything about this viggie.

Bravo! =D=

15. madman007

madman007 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 22, 2007
    OMG! I am so sorry, mavjade.

I remember reading this and was going to reply but I got sidetracked and never came back. This was back when my stroke-ridden mom wasn't doing well. She doing great now though (it'll be a year to the month in OCT since the stroke).

Anyway, this was such a sweet and bittersweet tale. Loved the repetition in the "voices" yet each time was from a different pov.

16. kayladie97

kayladie97 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 6, 2003
    This was so sad! :_| But so GOOD! I love the way we got a little bit more of Luke's story each time. I know Mara is technically right in the first one, that babies need to learn to soothe themselves, but gosh, it is really hard to just let them cry! It breaks your heart! :(

The ending was bittersweet; I hate to think of Luke dying, but at least he will get to be with Mara again.

I also love the way you told it, with just a little snippet of their lives at certain points. Wonderfully done! =D= :D

17. Jaded_Girl

Jaded_Girl Jedi Master star 4

Aug 9, 2001
    Oh, this is simply beautiful! Excellent work! I loved the "voices" running gag, and the sweet turn-around at the end.

Fantastic! =D=

18. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    ooh, that's a gut shot... in the most beautiful way possible. [:D]=D= So sad, there. Loved the end, too. Great story to tell as well. :D

19. Katana_Sundancer

Katana_Sundancer Jedi Master star 4

Aug 13, 2009
    Oh... wow...

Beautiful, so beautiful. You almost had me crying at work!

I'd quote a favourite part... but that'd be the whole thing!

That last section with Luke dying, and Ben saying that "Mum is waiting"... and then Luke's story... Perfect.

Thanks so much for writing such a lovely piece

Katana@};-