main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Voices of the Past

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by Mekial, Feb 14, 1999.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ping

Ping Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 23, 1998
    You're back then, eh? Okay, Sarge suggests not having them know the trials have begun. What else? How would you have your masters tell for sure that their students are ready, and prove it to the students, too? What kind of things would they have to do in order to prove it? What if they fail?

2. Force User

Force User Jedi Youngling

Aug 21, 1999
    I believe you might not have read The Jedi Handbook yet. Here are a couple of links to sites that have the file(s): http://homepage.interaccess.com/~echmyr/TheJediHandbook.html http://homepage.interaccess.com/~echmyr/TheJediHandbook.html http://w3.uokhsc.edu/czacher/swrpg/jedihb/findex.html http://w3.uokhsc.edu/czacher/swrpg/jedihb/findex.html

Here is an excerpt from the Handbook:
    Once a Master is satisfied with his pupil's performance (at least 3D, or two pips higher than base . . . whatever is higher, in all required skills and has learned all required Powers) he has the authority, granted by the Academy, to promote the Apprentice to Adept. The Master then sends the Adept on whatever errands he wishes (reporting all the while to the Academy). After the Adept displays proper understanding of the Jedi Code and has a total of at least 13D in Force Skills, the Master may promote the Adept to the rank of Guardian. The Guardian is still in the servitude of his Master and after demonstrating superior resourcefulness, true understanding of the Light, and a total of 17D in all Force Skills, he goes before the ruling council of the local Praxeum and may, on an unanimous vote only, be promoted to the rank of Knight. At this point a Jedi is still bound to his Master but is usually given freedom to conduct his own business. When a Jedi gains a total of at least 27D in Force Skills he may, with the recommendation of his local Praxeum, travel to the Academy and undergo review of the Ruling Council for the rank of Master. As with the rank of Knight, the vote must be unanimous. The next, and highest, rank in the Jedi Knights is that of Grand Master. There may only be nine Grand Masters, the Ruling Council of the Academy, at any given time. They hold their office until death or retirement and may only be replaced by a Master with a rating of 15D in all Force Skills who has the support of 90% of the Jedi (ranks Adept through Master) and the support of all members of the Ruling Council. Once a Jedi obtains a seat on the Ruling Council he has achieved the greatest honor available to a Jedi. All members of the Ruling Council are equal regardless of seniority.

3. Geoff Morton

Geoff Morton Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 18, 1998
    That's cool... who produced the handbook?

4. Ping

Nov 23, 1998
    I've actually seen that handbook before. I was impressed that someone had gone to all that trouble, and it was interesting to think of having required powers before becoming whatever, but I must admit I have some problems with it. First, I like to stick with apprentice, knight, and master. (Small beef!) Secondly, I think the D levels are way to high. Unless you can keep the campaign going for years, or unless you give out loads of CPs, most players aren't going to attain that, and part of playing a Jedi is being a Jedi Knight. I do think that the stats in the Jedi sourcebook are too low, but 17D sounds WAY too much.

But now that I reread it, I think I may have misinterpreted. "A total of 17D" might mean the D in all 3 Force attribs add up to 17, like 6D, 5D+2, 5D+1, or something like that. Hmmm. That sounds about right to me, actually. Well, gotta run!

5. Jim

Jim Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 8, 1998
    My head is spinning. I just reread this entire thread to get a refresher on it. Waaahhhggg.

If you haven't done so, go out to the bookstore right now and buy all three books in the Jedi Apprentice series. They're inexpensive, and they are blazingly fas reads. Like, you'll read all three of them in a couple of hours. They do a wonderful job of showing a Master/Padawan relationship from the beginning. Some of the fight sequences are wonderfully written as well, giving an insight as to just how dangerous two well-trained Jedi can be.

Now, then, a good master will never tell his Padawan that he's being tested; rather, circumstances will arise, and if the Padawan succeeds, fine. If he fails, either he's dead (because, really, Jedi find lethal trouble so easily) or sufficiently humbled that the master has an opportunity to give him some pointers and they can move on.

For instance, and this isn't a spoiler since it was cut, but the TPM screenplay has a scene where Obi-Wan gets his 'saber shorted out from water damage, and Qui Gon lightly berates him for it. Well, not much of an example, I guess...

Anyhow. So, what was the verdict on the Force teaching/learning stuff mentioned way back when?

6. Ping

Nov 23, 1998
    I don't know if we made any decisions. I liked those discussions, though. Very interesting.

I've wanted to get those books for a while now. Now I have an excuse--Jim told me.

I think I'm going to go bring those old threads up (if they're still there). Maybe some of our new posters can contribute. *stern glare* Contribute already!

7. Ping

Nov 23, 1998
    Well, that was all I could find.

8. Force User

Force User Jedi Youngling

Aug 21, 1999
    If anyone wants a copy of THE JEDI HANDBOOK Email me at SithMaster@Naboomail.com

What the excerpt from the first reply I mentioned said is that a Jedi must have at least 17D in Force Skills to become a Jedi Knight. It means that you must have a TOTAL Value of 17D from all of the Force skills.

Here is a Quick Reference: Total Dice
    Apprentice: 0D
    Adept: 9D
    Guardian: 13D
    Knight: 17D Unanimous Vote from Counsil
    Master: 27D Unanimous Vote from Counsil
    Grand Master: 15D 90% Vote from Counsil
    Only 9 seats available on Grand Counsil

The Jedi Handbook was edited and compiled by David Barnhart.

This is a must read Netbook for anyone who Role Plays SWRPG and knows a Jedi or two.

9. Innst Lo Bi

Innst Lo Bi Jedi Youngling

Jul 20, 1999
    Here's jsd's GM joining the fun

I dunno about levels for training. It all smacks of D&D to me which makes me feel faintly sick

I think being a Jedi is a state of mind. As long as you can look after yourself and you have proved yourself capable of steering yourself down the light path you should be a Jedi

You would only become a master after having many successful students who had themselves followed your example and trained others. -ie, you'd be the baddest damn Jedi teacher this side of Kuat!

10. Ping

Nov 23, 1998
    Our group's Jedi is basically a knight. Our Gm has lately been calling her a master, because she teaches others to use the Force. I thought that was an interesting way of looking at it.

11. Kith Aris

Kith Aris Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 17, 1999
    In response to the "Why Jedi Masters can train multiple apprentices in TALES OF THE JEDI while Jedi Masters in TPM can only have a single Padawan."

In my humble opinion, when a Jedi Master has an established place to teach his students, like most Jedi in TOTJ tend to have, then they can thus have more Jedi students with them, as they have the time to learn the lessons they can.

A Padawan, in my opinion, seems to be after the young Jedi has passed his tests to become a Jedi from his first Jedi Master. Remember that Obi-Wan was trained by Yoda at first, then later was accepted by Qui-Gon as a Padawan.

So, in my opinion, any Jedi that just passed his test can be selected by a Jedi Master as his Padawan, which to me means that this young Jedi basicaly learns by watching and doing of his Jedi Master. I would imagine that a young Jedi that shows exceptional prowess can be selected by a Jedi Master to be his Padawan, which is probably for all intents and purposes, similar to being an intern.

12. Innst Lo Bi

Innst Lo Bi Jedi Youngling

Jul 20, 1999
    Jedi Knights like Qui-gon have 1 Padawan; I think only when you have gained much experience as a night and trained many Padawans can you become a master. Like Yoda and Luke, I guess a master can have many students but they don't work as closely to you as a Padawan would.

13. Mekial

Mekial Jedi Master star 1

Dec 9, 1999
    This is a JA fan fic. It involves Obi-Wan, Qui-Gon, and some of my own characters. Hope you like! Please tell me what you think!

A man stood in the small alley. Though dressed in the clothing of kings, his appearance was ragged. Bruises and burns covered his pale skin. His blond hair was streaked with dirt and mud; Blood ran from his nose.

The man seemed to be looking for something or someone. His dull brown eyes swept the filthy stone pavement. Terror was written all over his thin face. A blaster was held securely in his bony hand, and at the fluttering of a leaf he whirled around, prepared to shoot.

Another figure appeared at the other end of the alley. He was dressed in a black cloak so his face could not be seen. A knife was in one hand, a piece of paper in the other. The dark man moved closer and closer to it's victim. He raised his weapon high over the small man. He brought it down swiftly and with ease. The man fell, his blaster firing a single shot.

A young girl ran from her hiding place. Letting out a war cry, she threw herself at the dark man, causing him to lose his footing for an instant. The man recovered easily. He picked up the small child, and carried her into the distance, chuckling.

The piece of paper the dark man had held was now laying beside the dead man's body. It read:

You betrayed me, Adul
    Now I'll have my revenge at last.
    You should have listened to the whisperings
    of the Voices of the Past.

What do you think? Should I continue?

[This message has been edited by Mekial (edited 12-11-1999).]

[This message has been edited by Mekial (edited 12-11-1999).]

14. Andraia

Andraia Jedi Youngling

Oct 28, 1999
    i like it!! continue please!

15. Mekial

Dec 9, 1999
    Thanx, Andraia!

16. Jedi Obi-Wan Kenobi

Jedi Obi-Wan Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 14, 1999
    Another JA fan fic to read? Great I can't wait for the next post

17. Mekial

Dec 9, 1999
    Well, If anyone is reading this, more is coming in a day. Two days at the most.

18. Mekial

Dec 9, 1999
    K, here's a short one.

***Obi-Wan Kanobi woke in a cold sweat. He was shivering, almost uncontrolably. Why? What was . . . The dream. The dream. . . it was. . .terrible. . . horrible. . .nerve-wracking. It had scared him. What was it about? It was so mysterious. So vague. It had felt real. Too real.

He remembered now. The pale dead man. The young child. The man in dark clothes. The note that made no sense at all. Who was Adul? Was the girl his daughter? Why should he care?

It was a dream, he reminded himself. They aren't real. Are they? Some Masters saw things in dreams. But he was not a Master. He wasn't even a Knight. He was a Padawan. Did apprentices see things in dreams? He had never heard of it. Was it possible?

"All things are possible with the force."

Yoda's words rang in his ears. It could of been. Did that explain its real feeling? He had had dreams before. None had ever been this real. They had all been about other things. Nicer things. Never about things that were brutal and evil.

Qui-Gon would know what to do. Yes. He would tell Qui-Gon about it in the morning. If he could get to sleep at all.

He concentrated, bringing the force to bear. It swirled around him. It calmed his raging heart and his confused mind. Slowly, he eased himself into a deep sleep. He had no more nightmares that night.

Like?

19. Mekial

Dec 9, 1999
    JOWK??

ONE OF MY FAV'S?

SHE'S READING THIS!

*grips back of chair to keep from fainting*

THANX!!!!!!

Um, would you mind giving me a few tips? I know I'm not that good!

[This message has been edited by Mekial (edited 12-12-1999).]

20. Andraia

Andraia Jedi Youngling

Oct 28, 1999
    i like!! moremoremoremoremore!!

21. Jedi Chikara

Jedi Chikara Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 1, 1999
    This is really good Mekial. Very well written. Keep going!

22. The Jedi Princess

The Jedi Princess Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 30, 1999
    Keep going, keep going.

23. Kilih-Sie Kanobi

Kilih-Sie Kanobi Jedi Youngling

Oct 18, 1999
  24. Mekial

Dec 9, 1999
    K, here's a looooooooooong one. I was bored, so I decided to work on my fic. I worked on it for a loooooooooong time. Here it is.

"Interesting this is."

Master Yoda scratched his almost bald head. He appeared to be thinking very hard.

"It..." Yoda started, then shook his head. "No, this, it could not be."

Obi-Wan was confused. What could it not be?

"What do you think about the boy's dream, Yoda?" Qui-Gon asked.

"Interesting it is, nothing more," Yoda replied.

Obi-Wan's jaw dropped.

"But Master Yoda..." he said. But Qui-Gon cut him off with a look.

"Dreams other Padawans have had," Yoda said, blinking. "Nightmares. Come to me, they have. But, as in your case, more than dreams, they were not.

"But..." Obi-Wan started again.

Yoda held up a hand

"Leave now you must. Arranged for you to fight Padawan Muln in a match, I have," Yoda said. It was his way of dismissing them.

Obi-Wan groaned silently.

The two Jedi bowed and left the room.

"That went well," Obi-Wan muttered under his breath. "What do you think, Master?"

Qui-Gon sighed. "I agree with Yoda. It was a nightmare. Did you eat something bad before you went to bed?"

Obi-Wan sighed. It was something. He knew it. He had felt it.

Qui-Gon placed a hand on his arm. "We need to be getting to the arena."

Obi-Wan danced around the gray Temple floor, his lightsaber pulsing hot in his hand. Garen was a fierce fighter. This would be a close round. He only hoped he would win.

He was afraid that he would let Garen manuever him into a corner, or even worse, that his opponent would make a movement he was not prepared for, and thus would not be able to block.

He dodged a blow to his arm. Taking the offensive, he leaped high into the air and slashed down. He swung his body to the left, and jumped back to avoid a blow that would behead him.

"Keep focus, Padawan. If you allow fear to flow through you, the force will not."

Hearing his Master's soft but firm voice encouraged him. He took the offensive once again, and made his attack more frequent and furious.

He crouched and lept, forcing Garen to jump backwards. He then used the milli-second of lost focus to swing his lightsaber into Garen's middle. Garen was ready and rolled. He used the power of his roll try to direct his body into Obi-Wan's legs. Obi-Wan was already jumping.

//Ooooobi-Waaaaaaan//

Obi-Wan almost dropped his lightsaber. He landed on his rear and went sliding across the floor and straight into a wall. He sat there, stunned. Whatever had just "spoken" to him was evil. He was shocked by the power of whatever it was. It threatened to control him completely.

"GO AWAY!"

//You cannot ignore me//

"LEAVE ME ALONE!"

//Listen to me//

"NOOOOOOOO!"

He got up and ran for the door. Qui-Gon was already there and pinned him against his chest.

//You cannot escape me. I am always with you. I can always see you//

"NOOOOOOOOOOOOO"

//Not only will I kill you and your pathetic friends, but your Master too//

" YOU CAN'T!

//Watch me. And you will. You will. You will hear everyone you care about scream in pain. Their screams will join with yours. Yes//

He kicked and pulled, but his Master was too strong. He was kept pinned. He started shaking.

"Obi-Wan, STOP!" Qui-Gon commanded.

"Obi-Wan are you alright?" Garen asked, his brown eyes wide.

// I will triumph. You cannot stop me. No one can//

"NOOOOOOOOOOOO!"

With a sudden burst of stregnth he pulled away from Qui-Gon. He took off down the hall. He rounded a corner, and went for the door. He could hear Qui-Gon's soft footsteps behind him. He headed for the Temple gardens. He lost himself in the lush greenery, and he also lost Qui-Gon.

He collapsed beside a tree, his body shaking and sending him into shock. Convulsions shook his body. They threw him up and then violently slammed his body to the ground. Conscienceness left him.

Qui-Gon watched his Padawan land and slide into the wall. His face was stricken. He looked as if he had glimpsed evil itself. What was wrong?

Obi-Wan screamed. Followed by more. They were blood curdling screams. H

25. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus & Kessel Run Champion! star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Winner

Oct 30, 1999
    WOW!!!!

Gee that was good. Okay I want ot find out what happens...so.. .you'll havr to post the next bit soon!!!

Kithera

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.