main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends "Voices" Post-Destiny's Way fanfic! Updated with shameless J/J mush-fest

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by jedishellyskywalker, May 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jedishellyskywalker

jedishellyskywalker Jedi Master star 4

Oct 3, 2002
    Greetings All! As many of you know, I'm a big fan of reading fanfics. Recently, I decided to begin one of my own! Please read, review, and be nice!

If you're only starting Voices now, and you feel a bit put-off by the idea of scrolling through 20+ pages looking for posts of this fic, then feel free to PM me with your e-mail address, and I'll be more than happy to send you Voices as a word file!

Enjoy...

VOICES
    by jedishellyskywalker

CHAPTER 1:

She pushed her way wearily through the dark, trailing vines. They felt clammy as they brushed against her skin, and were moist with the humidity of the jungle. Her bare feet made little noise as she traipsed over the tangled overgrowth that snaked across the ground.

She was sweating by now, and gasping for breath. She had no idea as to how long she had been going on like this. The only chrono she had to measure time by was the thudding of her own heart. All she knew was that she had to keep moving, had to keep going, had to follow the elusive voice that called out to her in this dream. Of course, it would have been all too easy to simply stop for a break, or to call on the powers of the Force to sustain herself, but then Tahiri Veila was not afraid of toil, or anxious to avoid pain. After all, she had already lost the most important part of her life.

Her overwhelming grief at the untimely death of Anakin Solo was Tahiri's constant companion these days, dogging her every waking hour. Now her anguish stalked her relentlessly through the world of her dreams too. Not that every dream was as lucid as this one though. Far from it. Tahiri wasn't sure if she'd want them to be this clear, this realistic. Normally, she would awaken in the morning to the same relentless sorrow and yearning that she had gone to sleep feeling the previous night. It was as if there was something tearing at her, eating her from the inside out. She often remembered disjointed fragments of the dreams she had experienced, and sometimes just the memory of a voice calling her name?

This night the dream consisted of Tahiri wandering through a misty landscape, like the jungle on Yavin 4, and yet unlike it. The Yavin 4 that Tahiri remembered was full of life, filled with the noises of the various animals, and riotous with the bright colours of the lush vegetation all around. Tahiri's dream landscape however, was completely drained of colour. Everything was instead in various shades of grey. Instead of the sounds of the woolamanders and the other native wildlife, all Tahiri could hear in her dream was a voice calling out to her. It was a voice more familiar to her than her own, and dearer to her than any other.

"Tahiri!" It beckoned to her again, and Tahiri was even more desperate to reach where the voice was coming from. She somehow knew that if she kept pressing on through this strange dream-world she would eventually arrive at the source of the voice. She didn't know how she knew this, but Tahiri was certain of it nonetheless. Years of Jedi training had long ago taught her to trust in her feelings. She kept going. She had to?

"Tahiri!"

The voice sounded more insistent this time. Tahiri knew that she had to be getting close now. She had to be! Suddenly, through the mist of her dream, Tahiri could see a clearing in the grayish Massassi trees up ahead. She knew instinctively that this clearing was where the owner of the voice would be waiting for her. This thought sparked a surge of adrenaline in her, and spurred Tahiri to quicken her pace. She hurried on as fast as she could, and was almost at the clearing when she stumbled on a vine on the ground and fell down, hitting her head. That voice called out to her again, and the sound of her own name was the last thing Tahiri heard as she descended into darkness?

Tahiri awoke with a jolt, and realised that she had fallen out of her narrow cot. She went to rub her eyes with the back of her hand, and found that her forehead was coated with a layer of cold sweat. St

2. Eowyn_Jade

Eowyn_Jade Jedi Master star 4

Jan 14, 2003
    Oh that was EXCELLENT Shelly! VEry nice beginning! I can't wait for more!

EJ

3. jedishellyskywalker

Oct 3, 2002
    Thank you SOOOOOO much E_J! Come to the top of the class and accept your Skittles! :D :D :D! I've never even tried writing a fanfic before, until I got the idea for this late last night! Thanks again! More soon, I promise!
    Shelly

4. jedishellyskywalker

Oct 3, 2002
  5. AERYN_SUN

AERYN_SUN Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 1, 2001
    looks really good, shelly :D hmm, who is that voice calling her? somehow i get this weird feeling this will become a jacen/tahiri fanfic.

~aeryn

6. Jedi_Jaina_Durron

Jedi_Jaina_Durron Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 1, 2001
    YES! A jacen/tahiri fic!

If it's not, though, I won't be disappointed, cuz that was an amazing start! You really captured the dreams from the books well!

Is it too soon to ask for more?

7. jedishellyskywalker

Oct 3, 2002
    Thanks a million 4 all your encoragement!It means a lot!

A Jacen/Tahiri fanfic???
    You'll just have to wait and see...

No, I'm kidding ya! I should have a new post up in a few minutes...

:D

8. jedishellyskywalker

Oct 3, 2002
    And now, I present:

CHAPTER 2:

In the aftermath of the victory at Ebaq 9, many of the Jedi had been taking advantage of the temporary lull in the ongoing war against the Yuuzhan Vong, and had spent some time at the secret Jedi base in the Maw. Some Jedi, such as Jacen and Jaina Solo's friend Lowbacca were recovering there from injuries incurred during recent battles. Jacen and Jaina themselves had opted to remain on the provisional capital world of the new Galactic Federation of Free Alliances, Mon Calamari. Allegedly, Jacen was assisting a team of scientists in their research into Yuuzhan Vong technology, but Tahiri had her suspicions that the presence of a particular scientist by the name of Danni Quee on this team was an added incentive to Jacen. Jaina was involved in more of the squadron training exercises that seemed to be what she did most in recent times. Other Jedi, such as Luke and Mara Skywalker were there at the Maw for happier reasons. In the case of the Skywalkers, this reason was to see their little son, Ben.

Tahiri herself had not seen the boy for several months, and she was amazed at the difference in him. On the last occasion that she had seen him, Ben had still been no more than a baby, but now he was a real little person, toddling about on his chubby legs and talking away to anyone who would listen. The fact that not very many people could actually understand what he was saying didn't seem to deter Ben Skywalker in the least. He was easily able to convey what he meant, and often used his growing ability to use the Force to project images of what he wanted.

Little Ben had enchanted Tahiri, and he had been equally entranced by her. Tahiri had never really had much contact with children of Ben's age. When she was living on Tatooine, her home was hardly one that had attracted large numbers of toddlers, and later at the academy on Yavin 4, the children had always been older. Naturally, Tahiri took advantage of every opportunity to spend time with Ben.

As she watched Ben play contentedly with his blocks in his nursery the day after her weird dream, Tahiri couldn't help but wonder if she and Anakin would ever have gotten married. Would they have argued a lot? Probably. Would they have been happy together? Most definitely. Tahiri wondered whether she and Anakin would have had children together, and what they would have looked like. She was just imagining a little boy, about Ben's age, with Anakin's ice-blue eyes and her own blond hair, when a small hand reached up and tugged insistently at the sleeve of her robes.

"Up, Tahihi!" said Ben. Obviously he was bored with playing with his blocks. Tahiri sighed, mentally dispelling the images of the future she and Anakin might have had together, and picked Ben up. Sitting him on her lap, she began to hum softly. Ben snuggled up against her and placed his thumb firmly in his mouth. Ben's parents had been trying to break Ben of his thumb-sucking habit, but so far all their attempts had failed miserably. Tahiri was reluctant to correct the small boy at the moment, he was so relaxed-looking and cozy in her arms. "Besides," she thought somewhat bitterly, "Ben'll be forced to grow up soon enough anyway. I may as well let him have his childish tendencies while he still can."

As if he had picked up on her negative thought, Ben stirred slightly and looked up at Tahiri with his steel-blue eyes wide. Tahiri suddenly realised that she had stopped humming, and so began to sing softly to Ben instead.

Hush child, it's not time for weeping.
    Time now for sleeping,
    So shut your eyes, child.

Angels are watching you dreaming,
    While you are sleeping,
    So shut your eyes, child.

Hush child, hush child,
    Sleep child, dream child
    Angels are guarding you, child.

Before long, Ben was fast asleep in the crook of Tahiri's arm, his head of reddish-gold hair resting gently on her shoulder. Tahiri, tired herself because of her troubled sleep, allowed her own eyes to close, and leaned back in her seat on the sofa. Before long, Tahir

9. AERYN_SUN

AERYN_SUN Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 1, 2001
    that was very sweet, shelly :D

~aeryn

10. Jedi_Jaina_Durron

Jedi_Jaina_Durron Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 1, 2001
    SO SWEET!

That was wonderful! Very, very nicely written!

Is it too soon to ask for more?

11. jedishellyskywalker

Oct 3, 2002
    AERYN-Thanks a million for the nice comment aeryn!

JJD-Ditto on the thanks! I've written the first paragraph or so of Chapter 3, so expect it up either tomorrow sometime, or early on Saturday. If I don't get the chapter finished tonight, I won't have a chance to work on it until the weekend cos I'm going to a Justin Timberlake concert!

12. jedishellyskywalker

Oct 3, 2002
    Just a quick thought...
    Would you, my readers (oooh, I like the sound of that, MY readers. It makes me sound important, like JK Rowling or someone). Anyhow, I digress. Would you like this story to focus mainly Tahiri as it has so far, or would you like to know what's being happening with other characters such as Jaina and Jacen too? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Shelly

13. aelie

aelie Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 27, 2003
    My net keeps crashing, so I'll just copy and paste this from notepad. ;)

WOW ! This is so good ! I'm surprised you don't have more readers ! :( You can plug all you want on my thread. Maybe that'll pull someone to either one. ;)

I love how you've written Tahiri. It seems so...real. Her fear and her desperation to find Anakin...::shudder::

Very good !!!

::UP dance for my Shelly !::

me

Edit: I'd like that very much. :D ;)

14. jedishellyskywalker

Oct 3, 2002
    YAY! AELIE'S HERE! I GOT AN UP DANCE! YAY!!!
    :D :D :D
    I'm almost finished Chapter 3, but I'm not happy with it, so it'll probably be Saturday before it gets posted. We shall see...
    *wanders off, singing happily:
    "I got an UP dance!
    I got an UP dance!"*

Shelly
    :)

15. jedishellyskywalker

Oct 3, 2002
    Shelly is officially signing off now to go and revise (and probably rewrite) that naughty Chapter 3! Don't you hate it when your characters don't do what you want them to do!!!
    *cue exasperated sigh*
    Well, talk to you soon!

PS: Remember to SPREAD THE WORD!!! Tell people to come and read this fanfic! SUPPORT ME!!!!!!

16. jedishellyskywalker

Oct 3, 2002
    A pitiful self-up!

17. Eowyn_Jade

Eowyn_Jade Jedi Master star 4

Jan 14, 2003
    Oh no worries Shelly! Eveyone starts off to a rough start...yo're doing pretty well! Sorry I haven't been around as much!

::BIG up dance to compensate::

::holds up a bag::

Starbursts anyone?

8-}

EJ

18. jedishellyskywalker

Oct 3, 2002
    YES!!! Another up dance, AND starbursts all in the 1 day? I am a lucky girl! Thanks EJ, don't mind if I do!

Shelly

19. jacen200015

jacen200015 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2002
    No Jacen and Tahiri. it must be Anakin and Tahiri. :) besides sometimes i drift away from J/T fics after i have been reading awhile soo. depending I may be a constant reader. :) of course if you are going to make it J/T then go ahead, you never know, i may like it.

20. JediMasterJaina

JediMasterJaina Jedi Padawan star 4

May 19, 2003
    I'm really liking you fic jedishellyskywalker! Keep up the good work! (And I don't mind the shameless self-plug on my fic! It got me to read yours!) It's so nice to see Tahiri fics. There aren't enough of them! And seeing Tahiri with Ben was so adorable! It makes me sad to think what she would've been like with her and Anakin's children....::profound sigh::

Keep it up! Another post soon? Please? :)

~Jedi Master Jaina

21. HeLLo_mY_NamE_iS_WeS

HeLLo_mY_NamE_iS_WeS Jedi Youngling

Jan 21, 2003
    This is great JediShelly!!

More Please!!!

22. jedishellyskywalker

Oct 3, 2002
    jacen200015: Thanks! I hope you enjoy reading this fic as much as I am writing it!

JMJ: Thanks 2 u 2! I love my readers!

H_m_N_i_W: Thanks for the encouragement! I'm really glad you're enjoying this fanfic!

EVERYONE: I really appreciate you posting on my very own fanfic! In honour of all your sheer greatness, I should have up an extra-long post within a few minutes!

Shelly
    :)

23. jedishellyskywalker

Oct 3, 2002
    As promised, I give you:

CHAPTER 3:

Several hours later, when Luke and Mara Skywalker returned from conducting a training exercise with the young Jedi trainees, they went into their son's nursery to see how he had been during their absence. They were greeted by the pleasant sight of their son sitting on the sofa with Tahiri. Ben had his thumb in his mouth, and Tahiri had her arm wrapped protectively around the small boy. Both she and Ben were fast asleep.

"Let's not wake them," Luke said softly, "Just look at how relaxed Tahiri is!"

He was right. Tahiri's face was perfectly calm and serene, and her forehead was unmarred by the worry lines she had carried since Anakin's death.
    Mara just nodded gently at Luke in silent agreement. Although Tahiri wasn't one to complain, Mara knew as well as her husband did how troubled Tahiri's sleep had been of late. No wonder really, considering the harrowing experiences the girl, no, young woman, Mara mentally corrected herself, had gone through in the course of her life to date. Luke pointed soundlessly towards the door to the adjoining room, then went through it, followed closely by Mara.

Once Mara had come in to their bedroom, Luke shut the door, careful to make as little noise as possible, then sat down on the edge of the bed. His wife joined him with a sigh.

"Poor Tahiri," said Mara sadly, "She's lost so much! First her parents, then her foster father, and then Master Ikrit. Losing Anakin has to have been terrible for her! He was her best friend, Luke, and I often wonder if, in the years to come, they might have been something more than just friends. Who knows? Anakin and Tahiri never even had a chance to find out, and that's what really gets to me, y'know? What could have been?"

A look of sorrow and pain passed briefly over Luke's face, and Mara was abruptly reminded that if anyone would understand about Tahiri's feelings of loss, it would be Luke Skywalker.

Her husband had never known his mother, and had grown up as an orphan, living in the harsh environment of a Tatooine moisture farm. As a young man, Luke had lost his Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru, the closest he had to parents. As an adult, Luke had finally discovered that the father he has longed for all his life was alive after all, but was a slave to the dark side of the Force. He was the emperor's most-feared servant; Darth Vader.

Luke had risked his own life in a heroic attempt to redeem his father, to bring him back from the darkness that had taken young Anakin Skywalker years before. Against all the odds, Luke had managed to succeed. Anakin Skywalker had thrown off the shackles of the dark side, Darth Vader no longer. Anakin defeated Palpatine, thus saving the life of his son, but at great cost to himself. Luke Skywalker had found his father only to lose him once more.

Certainly Luke Skywalker was no stranger to loss, Mara reflected. With Anakin Solo's death, Jacen Solo's disappearance, and Jaina Solo's subsequent slide to the dark side, Luke had lost not only his two nephews, but also a good deal of his hope the future. Although Jaina's recovery and Jacen's miraculous return from Yuuzhan Vong captivity had managed to restore much of Luke's optimism, Mara knew that her husband had been changed irrevocably by the experience. Mara thought that Luke was wiser for it, and she knew that Luke now viewed each day that found his family and friends safe as a blessing, as something to be valued.

Tahiri's condition was a worry to both Luke and Mara, and also to Han and Leia Solo. They had all done their best to look after the girl, and to help her rebuild the shattered pieces of her life in the aftermath of Anakin's death. Mara had come to feel for Tahiri in much the same way as she did for her niece and former-apprentice, Jaina. Mara cared about Tahiri, a lot. Tahiri's recent promotion to full Jedi Knight status had made Mara truly proud. Mara had accepted Tahiri's achievement as proof that Tahiri was past the initial phase of her mourning and was well-started

24. jedishellyskywalker

Oct 3, 2002
    Hey all!
    I just noticed that the word: updated
    begins with the word: UP!!!

25. jacen200015

jacen200015 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2002
    That is a very good post. :) more soon I hope. :) ;) :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.