VOLTRON: Defender of the Universe

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by RolandofGilead, Sep 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Upping and unlocking thread upon request.
  2. Juliet316 Chosen One

star 7
  3. Darth_Hydra Force Ghost

star 4
    Great news! Now if they'd only take set the movie on Arus instead of Earth.
  4. DarthButt Manager Emeritus

star 5
    Yeah, I'd really hate to see a departure from the original story line.

But however, I <3 Voltron, one of my favorite cartoons ever. Glad to see it's getting recognition in the movie world!
  5. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    Oddly enough, unlike Transformers, Voltron really was more about the robots fighting than it was about character or setting, even though there was some fun stuff done in those areas too, so the change of location doesn't bother me much. I just hope they still have Prince Lotor as the villian- him and Sven were the only ones that ever had much of an interesting story arc.
  6. gonzoforce Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Well, Fox better not screw this up! They've already killed the Fantastic four, Daredevil and X-men films.

For some reason I preferred Voltron to Transformers when I was younger. Still remember my christmas present in 1984 when I was 6, got the complete lion set. Still watched them both, actually I think the lineup was Voltron, Transformers and then GI:Joe. That was a great time to be a kid.

One more thing, I hope they have music from the show in the film, at least when they form Voltron.
  7. Koohii Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I get the feeling some of you might want to try to find "Voltron: Hell Bent For Leather" by *****ureishimasu productions. THey took the 2-parter story from the Lions series and redubbed it to humorous effect.

"Sensors are picking up something entering the atmosphere."
    "It's a robeast."
    "How do you know?"
    "It's thursday. It's a robeast. There's always a robeast on Thursday."

"This is no ordinary robeast. THis one has a lower-division English professor at the controls!"

"Form Feet and Legs. Form arms and... Ah F___-it, you know the rest."

"Insert key. Interlocks connected. Dynotherms are go. Look at my crotch."

"Good old blazing sword. Works everytime."
    "Why didn't we use that in the first place?"
    "Because we're stupid, princess. It was like we were deliberately trying to pad the fight."

Lots of geek references to Elrik, Star Trek, Battlestar Galactica, and other sci-fi.

These people are also responsible for "The Jion Years" and "Robotech III: not necessarily the sentinels" which was dedicated to the still-born brain child of Carl Macek, "Robotech: The Sentinels" and all the fans who used to remember once liking the perversion of Macross, Southern Cross, and Mospeada.
  8. Kol_Skywalker Jedi Master

star 4
    I was going to say the same thing!
  9. Dark_Jedi_Kenobi Manager Emeritus

star 5
  10. Leto II Jedi Master

star 6
    According to the front page at the Official Voltron Site, Timur Bekmambetov (Nightwatch, Daywatch), whose latest film Wanted opens this weekend, is apparently in talks to helm the forthcoming live-action Voltron movie; other news sites are confirming this, as well.

Wonder how he's gonna fit this one around Twilightwatch? Guess this means we'll be seeing Morgan Freeman playing Coran, then?
  11. Darth_Hydra Force Ghost

star 4
    I wish progress on this was going faster. At this speed we're likely to see Transformers 3 before it comes out.
  12. rumsmuggler Chosen One

star 7
    I will. I wasn't aware that original version of the Power Rangers started in the 70's.
  13. Leto II Jedi Master

star 6
    Side-note-ish related, but the first Vehicle Voltron DVD collection is due out on 9/30 (S.R.P. $34.99, with the first 18 episodes, and two more collections to follow).

Collector's tin artwork also up ("Air Team"-themed):

[image=http://img396.imageshack.us/img396/2770/awdvd0829js2.jpg]

I have been awaiting this release for years. If you like Lion Voltron over Vehicle Voltron, you deserve unexpected midnight prison man-love. My third-grader self agrees with this.

...Alright, so maybe I kid. I totally dig me some Lion Voltron, too. But at long last, for the first time in decades, the Lion Force is about to find itself with distinguished competition on the store shelves from Jeff and the rest.
  14. DarthButt Manager Emeritus

star 5
    I hear you. I haven't seen this series since I was a kid on it's original run, and have been seriously jonesing to see it again. While Lion Voltron was great, some part of me remembers liking this one at least equally.. maybe even more.

Sweet news!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.