Volume lit Text

Discussion in 'Scifi 3D Forum' started by darthviper107, Jan 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darthviper107 Jedi Master

star 4
    I've seen where in movies and some FanFilms where people had text that look like it had light coming out of just the words and moving direction. I thought that you could do this by just making a plane in 3ds Max and having an opacity map apply where the text is transparent and having a light behind it with the volume light effect applied to it, but the light just goes through the plane and not just through the words, has anyone ever done this who could tell me how to do it, I know it was done in the Last Of The Mandalores FanFilm teaser from TFN, and I want to know how to do it.
  2. lureofthedarkside Jedi Youngling

star 1
    I'm not sure how its done in MAX, but what they probably used was a plugin for AE made by Trapcode called Shine. Its pretty pricey, but I don't know if that answers your question.
  3. Darksteps Jedi Youngling

star 3
    if I understand what you're asking, it's fairly simple...

create your text either in an image editor(Photoshop or whatever you use), save it and create a free spotlight... then go to PROJECTOR MAP under Advanced Settings and set that image as the Projection Map...

now open the enviroment menu and apply volume light... in the image I added Near Attenuation to minimize it's proximity to the camera...

if you use a dark plane to project it on, the text won't show as well as it will against a lighter or white plane...

Example

;)
    Darksteps...
  4. The-Matt-Man Jedi Padawan

star 4
    That, or you could boolean the letters out of a paper thin black mesh and have a volume light scrolling behind it.

-Matt
  5. Dr. Jones Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Why do you always want to use boolean? boolean sux. Avoid using them, because, the resulting object is a mix of both operands' vertexes, and it's a real mess. I mean sometime it can be usefull, but before saying boolean, try to find another way. Easy, to do exatly the same thing you sujested: craet a rectangular shape, creat your text in the middle of this rectangle. Convert the rectangle into editable spline, and attach the txte to this plan. Now convert it to edita ble mesh or use extrude modifier it with a value of 0, and you get the same reslut as with boolean, except that you save a lot of vertex, and won't have unexpected surprise (yeah, I know, when it's a surprise, most of the time, it's unexpected), becuase sometime boolean result is quiet strange. I stoped using them a long time ago, except for achitecture.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.