main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

San Fran, CA Volunteer to help decorate the LFL Rose Parade floats!

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by Miana Kenobi, Nov 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    I know it's far, but just thought I should include you guys too!

I have some great news! We have the chance to be a bigger part of the Lucasfilm float building experience than we had originally anticipated. The float building company really needs our help and we will have a once-in-a-lifetime chance to be a part of something unique in Star Wars fandom!

To that end, see below for a handful of dates we are targeting for group decorating efforts. Also, please note the following guidelines:

1. All volunteers must be at least 11 years of age.
    2. Each volunteer should bring a pair of scissors. If you are volunteering on a dry decoration day, you should also bring a chair and wear weather-appropriate attire as you may be asked to work outside.
    3. Wear "grubby" clothing and close-toed shoes. Costumes are allowed, but wear them at your own risk.
    4. If you sign up for a shift, please be prepared to stay for the entire time. Each shift is given a 40 minute lunch break. You are encouraged to bring a sack lunch, although there are several fast food restaurants within a mile.
    5. You must be able to provide your own transportation to/from Azusa. We will arrange carpools to the best of our ability. Street parking is available around the facility.
    6. Cameras are allowed but the float decorating company is not responsible for loss or damage. No radios, CD players, MP3 players or headphones are allowed.

[hr]

[b][u]Dates & Shifts[/b][/u]

[u]Dry decorating[/u] (working with dry materials, cutting, prepping, blending, application of dried material to the floats). [b]Deadline to sign up is November 26th:[/b]
    Dec 9th 8:30 am - 4:30 pm
    Dec 10th 8:30am - 4:30 pm
    Dec 16th 8:30 am - 4:30 pm
    Dec 17th 8:30 am - 4:30 pm

[u]Decoration Week[/u] (all of the above, plus application of fresh material to the floats). [b]Deadline to sign up is December 3rd:[/b]
    Dec 29th Shift 1: 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
    Dec 29th Shift 2: 6:00 pm - 12:00 am
    Dec 30th Shift 1: 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
    Dec 30th Shift 2: 7:00 pm - 3:00 am
    Dec 31st Shift 3 3:00 am - 10:00 am**

**According to our contact at the float building company, this is a very important shift. Although it sounds challenging, there is one cool incentive for those working 3am - 10am: This is when the judging happens! You will get to see the float up close with the characters on board and with the animation going and music playing.

[hr]

Please [b][u]EMAIL ME at [color=blue]mianakenobi@yahoo.com[/color] [/u][/b] the following required information:
    Names of all participants in your party
    Email address
    Affiliated club
    Shift(s)

[hr]

And finally, our contact at the float building company has assured me that anyone signing up with our group will be able to work on preparation for, or decoration of, the LFL floats. She also indicated that we can take group photos (in or out of costume) before or after our shifts, but work on the float cannot stop while we do so.

[hr]

As a last thing, if anyone has a dying urge to help decorate but none of the dates/times work fo you, email Kim Knight at kknight08@gmail.com and she will try to work something out. :)

2. kay_dee

kay_dee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    Thanks for posting this! I talked to Chris last weekend and had forgotten to check the socal web site for the info.

I don't know that I can do New Years, as cool as that would be. Does anyone else here feel up to a day? I'd rather choose a day to go down when someone else plans to be there that I know.

- Kay dee

3. JedHead1

JedHead1 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 20, 1999
    Hmmm. If I end up going, I'll let you know Kathy.

4. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    I'm gonna be there most of the time. I even am going to pull the 3am-10am shift. [face_tired] [face_coffee]

5. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    Well, our Fan Force holiday party is around the 16th right? So that rules out that weekend. I'm not sure about going down New Years. I should spend that holiday with my husband, so taking a trip to LA would depend on if we got together with our friend in Pasadena. Something tells me she is not ready to think that far in advance!

So right now it is looking like the weekend of the 9th for me.
    - Kathy

6. Jedi_Tenken

Jedi_Tenken Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2000
    wow... go down there at our own expense to volunteer to build a float in a parade that we won't be directly participating in... sound tempting but I'll pass... :p

7. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    Well Ming, it is differnt for me. I have very close friends I visit when I'm in LA. Otherwise it wouldn't be worth the trip for me either. Also, ever since I was a kid I always thought it would be cool to put one of those floats together! We'd see the coverage on TV in LA. I see it as a once in a lifetime thing!

Question for Rachel
    - One of my friends in LA is considering volunteering with me. She wants to know if we have to sign up for a whole day, or if we can do half days? She also wants to know if it will be in doors out of the sun.

- Kathy

8. skye_solo

skye_solo Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 6, 2004
    It's fun when fans propel the desire to help out...but when they are recruited to help promote a beleagured franchise...nah, no thanks!

Until Lucas releases the OOT in a format deserving of its greatness he'll get nothing but rotten vegetables from me.

edit: I know this is a friendly request to help out with something Star Wars related, and even better it's "official" -- I'm only stating my personal opinion. So, no ill will is directed toward anyone who wants to contribute. I only harbor ill will toward George Lucas for destroying Star Wars, the rat-fink!

9. elmoizme

elmoizme Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 27, 2005
    This is mainly for S Ca RL/FF/501st members, but you never know unless you submit pics to Mary. Note: I edited out Mary's email. Most of you should alreay know her email.

Call for Costumed Rebels and Rogues!

Good evening, members of the Rebel Legion, Southern California Fan Force, and Southern California Garrison. Please pass this email along to your fellow Fan Force and Legion members. I?m counting on this group to be the messengers, not necessarily to want to march in costume (although you might want to!). Thank you!

You might have heard that Lucasfilm would be looking for a few ?non-stormtrooper? costumed characters to walk in the ?Star Wars Spectacular? in the Tournament of Roses Parade, to happen January 1, 2007.

You heard correctly! We are! We are looking for a few very cool Star Wars movie characters to walk alongside our floats, wave to the audience, and add some additional Star Wars atmosphere and charm to an already exciting presentation.

Here?s a sample of the costumed characters we?re looking for:

· Boba Fett
    · Jango Fett
    · Zam Wesell
    · Tusken Raiders
    · Rebel Pilots
    · Rebel soldiers
    · Darth Maul
    · TIE Fighter Pilots
    · Red Imperial Guards
    · Chewbacca
    · Jedi
    · Other hero and villain characters
    · Not all these characters will necessarily be represented. Final selection will depend on quality of costumes.

· Darth Vader ? Darth Vader would not be in the parade, but could be in some other appearances during the Rose Parade time, and could possibly act as backup for the parade Vader.

To apply, email good quality photos of your costume, front, back, and side, plus a close-up head shot, to:

Mary Franklin

By Wednesday, November 15th, 2006, 6:00 PM.

Please send your contact information, including address, cell phone, and preferred email address with your email.

Preference will be given to Southern California characters who live within driving distance of Pasadena, but costumers from other locations will be considered.

If you and your costume are accepted to march in the parade, you will be provided hotel accommodations, meals during your rehearsal and performance period, as well as travel expenses appropriate to where you live. Travel expenses cover one person, and the hotel rooms will be for four marchers per room. Meals at the official hotel will be provided, but for troopers and official parade participants only. As we have maxed out the official hotel with participants alone, additional hotel rooms for families and friends will need to be booked separately, by the individuals themselves. If you choose not to stay at the hotel, you will be responsible for being there on time to take the shuttle to rehearsals and performances.

These character marcher positions are not paid positions.

What criteria are we looking for in Rose Parade character marchers?

· Quality of your costume ? does it evoke ?movie real??
    · Ability to march 5 ½ miles in costume for at least 3 ½ hours without removing your mask or getting out of character.

· Sturdy costumes that will stay together with marching and waving.
    · Availability to be in Pasadena from December 30, 2006 through January 1, 2007 for rehearsal and marching.
    · Will the Rose Parade audience be able to recognize your character? Not all characters or personal interpretations of characters will be immediately recognizable as part of the Star Wars universe by those watching the parade.

· ?Suspension of disbelief? provided by your costume. Will audience members see you in your costume and think you could have walked right out of one of the movies?

· Southern California characters will be given first priority due to our travel budget considerations.

Any questions, please drop me an email! I?m very much looking forward to seeing some of you in Pasadena!

Mary Franklin
    Events Manager
    Lucasfilm Ltd.

10. JedHead1

Feb 20, 1999
    Although I already knew of this, thanks for taking initiative and posting, Elton. The only reason why I didn't is because I know many people here can't (or won't) go :( , and if they were, they would've already responded on the RL or 501st boards.

11. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    Yeah, I wasn't sure if it was an open call outside of Rebel Legion and 501st. If I'd known earlier than a few days ago that the casting call for some of the non-face characters was still open I would have made more of an effort to put a marchable costume together. I was under a mistaken impression that all 501st members had already been selected and that they were looking for a particular group of Rebel Fleet troopers or something. Oh well!

uh... back to work on my commpad and jumpsuit pockets.

12. Harlock415

Harlock415 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 21, 2003
    Hmm...I think I'll be taking a free break from all the free LFL labor and promotion for a while.

13. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    Kathy, I'm not sure to either question. :( Email Kim (email is in first post) and she'll have more answers than I.

14. Jedi_Tenken

Jedi_Tenken Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2000
    All good Kat, I can afford to stay away from LA for a bit. Have fun down there!

15. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    Well, I have not volunteered yet! I passed along some info to my friend in Pasadena and we will see if we can coordinate when she gets back in town.

As for the Rose Parade, I was VERY close to submitting my purple senate costume. But then I chickened out. It's not because I don't think they are looking for that kind of costume (however, I half suspect Padme is already represented on the Naboo float). But I wouldn't want to stress about the fabric getting dirty or ratty marching in the streets. However, I did get a hold of some tie pilot armor and a bucket this weekend! Yay! So, I submitted a photo as a Tie Pilot instead.

[image=http://kay-dee.net/costumes/tie_pilot/front.jpg]

We literally took photos of it when my husband got home at 5:15 (deadline was 6:00 tonight)! Sadly, all the work I put into the accurate sleeve pockets doesn't show up at all. Oh the agony!!! We didn't have time to retake the pics. My commpad (scratch built by me from styrene) shows up though. (costume side view)I spent 2 full days making that silly thing (I drafted my own layout based on all the photos I had). The paint still needs touching up since it was really rushed and I don't like the color of one of my buttons.

[image=http://kay-dee.net/costumes/tie_pilot/commpad-1.jpg]

At the very least I'm off to a good start on this costume. There are more modifications I will make to the jumpsuit. I know a lot of people just use their jumpsuits as is. But since I can sew and I'm anal about these things, I know I can replace the collar, add cuffs, add a yoke, more pockets - etc.

16. JedHead1

Feb 20, 1999
    Looks great so far, "TIE Fly Girl"! :D For a scratch-made comm pad, it came out really nice. What paints did you use? If you want, I have spare paint and primer that you could use. Let me know, and I can bring it to the meeting on Saturday.

Your Padme Deleted Scene costume came out great (as usual) too!

17. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    Thanks for the offer Matt, but the commpad is alrady painted. Seriously, It is primed, then painted with 'grimy black' spray paint. The buttons are painted with acrylic paints. Some colors custom mixed by me. I have to redo the green though. I want it to be a darker muddy green that it appears to be in the MOM photo references. Otherwise I just want to smooth out a few edges is all. I didn't see the need to copy what others had done at Omega wing. Everyone has a slightly diffent interpretation based on the MOM photos.

Ah, you saw my Padme costume huh? My light blue costume has been on my web site for a few months now actually (that's where maggie got the photos from). Maggie just got around to adding it and all my LJ notes to Padawan's guide until now.

18. elmoizme

Oct 27, 2005
    Looking good trooper. You probably never thought you would get called that huh? Welcome to the dark side ;)

19. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    Thanks Elmo! Somehow I still feel like Padme or Leia in disguise. ;) When I was working on this costume I had a flashback to an old Kenner action figure add. "Surprise Surprise, it's Leia in disguise!" (well, Lando - nevermind).

20. JedHead1

Feb 20, 1999
    Well, it looks like you can now be in both group pics at WonderCon! Have you applied to the GGG/501st yet, Kathy? We've got a few big events coming up in the next couple of weeks.

21. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    Hum, I thought I should hold off on applying to GGG until I have time to perfect the jumpsuit and some other things. I was under a time crunch to get some kind of photos to Mary. Unless you think I'll miss out on something critical, I was going to wait until it was perfected!

22. elmoizme

Oct 27, 2005
    :oops: PM sent

23. TionneHawk

TionneHawk Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    Hey! Another TIE Pilot. Looking good! Makes mine look downright basic. I really should do those modifications. :(
    Now you just have to join Omega Wing, the best Squad of pilots in the galaxy, right Matt? :D

24. JedHead1

Feb 20, 1999
  25. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    No, your costume is cool! Part of the reason I wanted to do a Tie pilot is because I see so many gals can pull it off well. Hum, maybe we can get the girls to outnumber the guys! Haha!

I'm already signed up on the Omega Wing boards. I will join their list of pilots when the time is right ;)

- kay dee

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.