main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Sac, CA Volunteer to help decorate the LFL Rose Parade floats!

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by Miana Kenobi, Nov 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    I know it's a long drive for you guys, but just incase anyone feels like coming down...

I have some great news! We have the chance to be a bigger part of the Lucasfilm float building experience than we had originally anticipated. The float building company really needs our help and we will have a once-in-a-lifetime chance to be a part of something unique in Star Wars fandom!

To that end, see below for a handful of dates we are targeting for group decorating efforts. Also, please note the following guidelines:

1. All volunteers must be at least 11 years of age.
    2. Each volunteer should bring a pair of scissors. If you are volunteering on a dry decoration day, you should also bring a chair and wear weather-appropriate attire as you may be asked to work outside.
    3. Wear "grubby" clothing and close-toed shoes. Costumes are allowed, but wear them at your own risk.
    4. If you sign up for a shift, please be prepared to stay for the entire time. Each shift is given a 40 minute lunch break. You are encouraged to bring a sack lunch, although there are several fast food restaurants within a mile.
    5. You must be able to provide your own transportation to/from Azusa. We will arrange carpools to the best of our ability. Street parking is available around the facility.
    6. Cameras are allowed but the float decorating company is not responsible for loss or damage. No radios, CD players, MP3 players or headphones are allowed.

[hr]

[b][u]Dates & Shifts[/b][/u]

[u]Dry decorating[/u] (working with dry materials, cutting, prepping, blending, application of dried material to the floats). [b]Deadline to sign up is November 26th:[/b]
    Dec 9th 8:30 am - 4:30 pm
    Dec 10th 8:30am - 4:30 pm
    Dec 16th 8:30 am - 4:30 pm
    Dec 17th 8:30 am - 4:30 pm

[u]Decoration Week[/u] (all of the above, plus application of fresh material to the floats). [b]Deadline to sign up is December 3rd:[/b]
    Dec 29th Shift 1: 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
    Dec 29th Shift 2: 6:00 pm - 12:00 am
    Dec 30th Shift 1: 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
    Dec 30th Shift 2: 7:00 pm - 3:00 am
    Dec 31st Shift 3 3:00 am - 10:00 am**

**According to our contact at the float building company, this is a very important shift. Although it sounds challenging, there is one cool incentive for those working 3am - 10am: This is when the judging happens! You will get to see the float up close with the characters on board and with the animation going and music playing.

[hr]

Please [b][u]EMAIL ME at [color=blue]mianakenobi@yahoo.com[/color] [/u][/b] the following required information:
    Names of all participants in your party
    Email address
    Affiliated club
    Shift(s)

[hr]

And finally, our contact at the float building company has assured me that anyone signing up with our group will be able to work on preparation for, or decoration of, the LFL floats. She also indicated that we can take group photos (in or out of costume) before or after our shifts, but work on the float cannot stop while we do so.

[hr]

As a last thing, if anyone has a dying urge to help decorate but none of the dates/times work fo you, email Kim Knight at kknight08@gmail.com and she will try to work something out. :)

2. TionneHawk

TionneHawk Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    Just a side note: as someone who decorated a float once, I do NOT recommend wearing costumes to decorate. The glue is VERY messy and gets EVERYWHERE (and you thought the sand was bad).

But definitely go help out if you can, it's a once in a lifetime kind of experience!

3. Avalyn07

Avalyn07 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 1, 2005
    Woooh, I am going to the Rose Parade! @};- [face_dancing]

And this is what printed out on my invoice.

"We know you will enjoy the worlds most beautiful flower presentation with George Lucas as our Grand Marshal. Featuring two Star Wars Spectacular floats and of course various characters from his movies."

Ps. Not a mention of anyone else teehee[face_laugh]

4. TionneHawk

Apr 28, 2002
    Cuz...duh..it's ALL about us. :D

5. Tev_Torbek

Tev_Torbek Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 19, 2004
    WHOOHOO!!! And I'm coming back to Calif around this time frame!!!! I guess I'm coming earlier than expected. My friends there, keep in touch so I can make travel arrangements and what not. Unless I can swing it, I'll either be flying into San Fran or the train once again, :rolleyes: if it'll arrive this centurty. Tionne and Avie, I was 6 hrs late into denver going home.

6. Leia1138

Leia1138 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 3, 2006
    Well, pretty soon some of our lucky rogues will be helping out with the Rose Parade. I'm looking forward to watching on TV.

Here are some photos of what's already been done.

http://www.southerncaliforniagarrison.com/cgi-bin/album.pl?album=Rose_Parade;photo_height=480

7. Lord_Darth_Vader

Lord_Darth_Vader Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 13, 2001
    Looks good so far. Good luck to who are all going and please drive careful! You may be going to the parade, but you all are more important to the SVRF!!!

8. Avalyn07

Jun 1, 2005
    We will LDV and all of the Rogues will be there with us through the Force.[face_love]

9. Master--Kenobi

Master--Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 8, 2003
    I'll be there decorating, so I'll keep em in line for ya, LDV! ;)

10. TionneHawk

Apr 28, 2002
    If you're staying to watch the parade, I'll be looking for you.
    Master, I am expecting to see a neon sign somewhere in the stands from you. ;)
    [:D]

11. Avalyn07

Jun 1, 2005
    Heck ya Hawkie. You have my cell I'll be in Pasadena 12-28 to 1-2-07. Me and Mum will be working the float on Saturday 9AM to 5PM.

12. Lord_Darth_Vader

Lord_Darth_Vader Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 13, 2001
    Thanks M--K! I'm counting on you!! ;) I want to see all kinds of banners and signs made by fans, coming from the Parade route. The typical one "May the Force Be with You!" and maybe a hitchhiker sign "Alderaan or Bust" or "Coruscant or bust" "I was the inspiration for Darth Maul!" or "I was the inspiration for Jar Jar Binks, don't be hate'n" ;) But most importantly, have fun and be safe!!

13. Nasus_Sivad

Nasus_Sivad Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 19, 2006
    We will be working on the parade th 30th on the last shift so hope to get good pictures with our banner before going off to get some rest before New Year's Eve. We will be in the stands right next to Avolyn so look for us. We will have the SVRF banner with us. :)

14. Master--Kenobi

Dec 8, 2003
    Will see what we can do about the banners. :D Getting closer now and can hardly wait!!!

15. TionneHawk

Apr 28, 2002
    I just want to see one that says "Only 5.2 miles to go, troopers!" Or something like that. But put it halfway down the route. hee hee hee...I'm so evil. [face_devil]

16. Master--Kenobi

Dec 8, 2003
    Grabs Padawn by the back of her robes and drags her back to the Light Side!!!

(Apprentices..what can ya do?);)

17. Bith_Lord

Bith_Lord Jedi Padawan star 4

May 5, 2005
    You better not deal with her the way Obi Wan dealt with HIS apprentice.[face_shame_on_you] We like our Tionne! [:D]

18. Marric_Korde

Marric_Korde Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 16, 2006
    what with the advancements in artificial limbs nowadays it might not be that bad. Plus who wouldn't want a cool JEJ voice.

19. Master--Kenobi

Dec 8, 2003
    ROFLMBJAO!!! Ok Ok You guys know I love her!!!!

*But is STILL dragging her hiney back to the Light Side!!!*

20. Bith_Lord

Bith_Lord Jedi Padawan star 4

May 5, 2005
    Whoa there you might get banned for that Hawk Hiny talk :)

21. TionneHawk

Apr 28, 2002
    *pouts with arms folded as she is dragged back to the good side*
    Awww, Master! :p

Thanks Bithy. It's good to know I'm loved.

22. Master--Kenobi

Dec 8, 2003
    LOL

That you are, Padawan, and by a good many people! ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.