main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Volunteers needed for SW Class at Blind & Deaf School

Discussion in 'Archive: Salt Lake City, UT' started by RonoBailey, Apr 22, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RonoBailey

RonoBailey Jedi Youngling

Apr 22, 2002
    Hey! I work for the Utah School for the Deaf and Blind in Ogden. Though I don't usually frequent the boards, I've noticed that there's a fan force in SLC now. I need your help!

Every Tuesday, we have a special class for the kids who remain here at the school in dorms during the week. As the resident Star Wars fan of Dormitory staff, I was assigned to teach a celebratory class on Star Wars next month. I'm looking for some people who would be willing to come to the school and "show off" some of their costumes, collection, lightsaber fights, anything. I have both blind and deaf students, so even someone just talking about special experiences (standing in the line for tickets, or standing in the rain at the first celebration) would be great for the blind kids. Pretty much, if you like Star Wars and like making special kids' day, I'm looking for you! I'm looking especially for afternoon visits (4:00-5:30 PM) but could arrange something special for the night if you're available. Feel free to email me, ronb@usdb.org with any ideas, suggestions, or volunteers. Thank you a million!

2. RonoBailey

Apr 22, 2002
    Oh, I guess you can either email me, or post here. Thanks again.

3. allenj456

allenj456 Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 8, 2002
    I am in my second semester of ASL @ the Univ of Utah and would LOVE!!!! to help out with this!! Let me know what I need to do-- I'm still learning but haven't had any opportunity to use it out of the class- Im very excited for this.

4. RonoBailey

Apr 22, 2002
    Awesome! Thanks for volunteering. As of now, I'm still waiting to see what other people we can line up. But don't worry, I'll have a place for you. Thanks for volunteering. I'll keep watching here for a couple of days and we'll see who else can help out.

5. Marold

Marold Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 17, 2001
    I have classes on Tuesday nights but I would love to help if I can in anyway. I've worked at Hartvigsen with my sisters.

6. RonoBailey

Apr 22, 2002
    Ok. As I'm typing this, the blind and deaf kids in my class are watching (listening in the blind boys' case) A New Hope. We've talked about the class. They're excited. On Tuesday May 21, we will be having our visitor day here at the cottage. When I mentioned that people will be coming, they got very excited. I'll be bringing my memorabilia and I'm hoping some others can do the same. We'll be here from about 4:00 'til 5:30. I know it might be a drive, but it'll make these kids days. Thanks again, any questions post or email me.

7. ImDaBudge

ImDaBudge Jedi Youngling star 3

May 2, 2002
    I'd be willing to help, what is it that you guys are planning on doing?

8. allenj456

Mar 8, 2002
    I will for sure be going as I am learning ASL- I just directions and the such..

9. Marold

Marold Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 17, 2001
    I was talking with Navaren and she has the Radio dramas on CD and said we can copy them for the kids. they can keep the copies as well.

10. allenj456

Mar 8, 2002
    cool idea!

11. RonoBailey

Apr 22, 2002
    Sorry again about the delay. I'm get married next week and things have been a bit hectic. Ok, here are the directions.

From Salt Lake, head north on I-15. Exit at the Ogden 12th Street exit. Head up 12th street all the way up to Harrison Blvd. Turn left on Harrison and head up the hill. Head straight through the light on the top of the hill. On the left (west) side is Harrison High School. On the east is the School for the Deaf and Blind. Just turn right into the driveway. The cottage where our class will be is on the south-east corner of the grounds. You can park in any of the spots nearby. There's a big sign on the outside wall that says "Dogwood Cottage." I (my name's Ron Bailey, BTW) arrive at 3:30, you're all welcome any time after that. The class begins at about 4:00 and will end about 5:30. Any questions, I can be reached on my cell phone, (435)730-1965. Please come, we're all looking forward to it! One boy in the cottage has the radio dramas, but if someone made copies, we could leave them here at the school for everybody (he's graduating soon anyway.)

Thanks again!

--Ron

12. allenj456

Mar 8, 2002
    Im really sorry Ron- i just got your message this morning- i had to make a decission yesterday on my plans for this afternoon. Since we hadnt heard from you in a while i had to make a choice. sorry..

13. RonoBailey

Apr 22, 2002
    It's ok. The class went weell. The kids enjoyed my action figures for about half an hour all by themselves. Thanks anyway, sorry for the late notice.

14. allenj456

Mar 8, 2002
    Are tuesdays the only days visitors can come?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.