main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Vong POV chapters.. greh!

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Xanakh, Mar 6, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Xanakh

Xanakh Jedi Grand Master star 1

Mar 1, 2002
    (Sorry for all the posts tonight, I'm all hyperactive on Dark Journey :p)

Is it just me or do the chapters from the POV of the Vong, especially Harrar, really bore you too? I find myself going into auto-mode when Vong chapters come up. Just basically read all the important words like "Solo" "Jeedai" etc :p
    It also annoys me (I dont know about the rest, gotta catch up, but especially in the DT duo) the Vong sections seem irrelevent as the Vong hierarchy discuss one thing then do another entirely, and you get some measly explanation after the battle is over as to why they changed their plan entirely.
    The Vong deserve good writing, they're human beings too :p

2. JediStryker

JediStryker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 5, 2000
    Man, usually I find the Vong chapters more interesting than the rest of the book, especially in SbS. The stuff in DJ wasn't as good because (IMO) it didn't have Tsavong Lah in it. He's the most interesting of the bunch, I think.

3. mirax_T

mirax_T Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 3, 1999
    if they develope Tsavong Lah or some other guy more thoroughly as 'the bad guy' and try to distinguish between differant vong more, their chapters could be incredibly interesting. however, as it stands they're generally only so-so. i would have to agree, though, and say that in SbS the vong parts were perticularly well done

4. BobaFetts_Clone

BobaFetts_Clone Jedi Youngling star 2

May 12, 2001
    I like the Vong chapters. WE know little about them so more info is always welcome. Its also interesting to see their own interanl struggles, it breaks their lokk of invincibility.

Tsavong Lah is the best Vong, nbut i think we'll see him moer in Traitor and the other books which are said to all happen at the same time. DJ, Traitor, and another book are happening at the same time i think so you can't have the same characters everywhere.

5. Gr-Adm-Thrawn

Gr-Adm-Thrawn Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 1, 2002
    I guess you're right Xanath - the 'vong are human after all.

extracts from Discovery.com

"This form of culture had its roots in the ancient Greek city-state of Sparta. Within Sparta, there existed three groups: slaves, known as Helots; Spartan females, who were taught to be fit, brave, and patriotic; and Spartan males, all of whom became warriors. Newborn males judged to be weak were left to die of exposure. At the age of seven, boys left home to live in barracks and receive military training from older boys. Boys went barefoot, wore minimal clothing (even in winter), practiced all forms of athletics, and received military instruction. They married at age 20 but continued to live in the barracks. The Helots provided the necessary food and labor for Spartan males and females."

6. Kast_Morben

Kast_Morben Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 18, 2001
    Too True Gr-Adm-Thrawn. It reminds me of the story where a spartan boy stole a fox and hid it under his tunic when captured by some soldiers. He stood talking to them for a couple of hours when he suddenly fell down dead. When the soldiers lifted his tunic they had found that the fox had eaten his way throught his stomach, yet the boy had never even flinched or cried out in pain.

I wonder what the Yuuzhan Vong would have thought of that!

7. Balance_Point

Balance_Point Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 10, 2001
    Xanakh, I can sympathize with you about finding most of the Vong chapters dull. The POVs aren't especially good in Stackpole's books, although I thought they were all right in DJ. But they're better in other books. Greg Keyes's Conquest and Rebirth in particular, I thought did an excellent job with the Vong. You might just find them to be a lot more interesting when you get around to those two books. :)

8. Han Soho

Han Soho Jedi Youngling

Oct 3, 1998
    The Vong POV in SBS was excellent. I particularly loved the dejarik game between Tsavong Lah and Vergere. Very symbolic, especially considering how it was that Borsk won Lah's respect at the end.

9. DVader316

DVader316 Jedi Knight star 7

Feb 18, 2000
    Great point about SbS, Bib. A perfect example of how good chapters from the Vong POV can be when written well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.