main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

'Vote No on Order 66'- a political commercial parody

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by Cara_Undercover_Jedi, Oct 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cara_Undercover_Jedi

Cara_Undercover_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 3, 2006
    Whoa...has it really been THAT LONG!?!? :eek:

Well, at last things are looking up. I've got one of my friends as a co-rotoscoper, as I'm going one of the scenes myself. I found out I can do it frame by frame in Photoshop and then play it back in the editing program I have with no hiccups. The first scene is more than half done already.

It's going to b a LOOOONG time before any of you can see the finsihed product; mainly because my family can't afford DSL anymore, so there's no way to upload videos. :_| But don't worry...I will release it eventually.

2. Sojourn

Sojourn Jedi Master star 2

Dec 31, 2005
    Just in case you didn't see it, I PM'd you a few weeks ago about rotoscoping stuff.

Take care,
    Sojourn

3. Cara_Undercover_Jedi

Nov 3, 2006
    Yeah, I know.

I'm sorry Sojourn, but without DSL I can't upload anything. Sorry I din't reply sooner. :(

4. Sojourn

Sojourn Jedi Master star 2

Dec 31, 2005
    That makes sense; I'm sorry that's the case right now! I'm sure you've thought of this already, but going to places with free Wi-Fi (libraries, coffee shops, etc.) might be useful. And if you have a desktop, you could try putting the files on a flash drive and uploading it a) on a friend's computer, or b) on a public (e.g. library) computer.

Good luck with everything, and let me know if I can still help at some point.

Take care,
    Sojourn

5. Cara_Undercover_Jedi

Nov 3, 2006
    No, we didn't bite the dust. We're still holding on. [face_worried]

I have finally finished rotoscoping the first scene and have done about...I don't know...maybe a third of the next? Is 80 a third or a fourth of 315? Anyway, it's taking os long becuase I'm doing it frame by frame in Photoshop, still haven't figured out blaster bolts, and have been interrupted by that job search of mine. (if I had a decent camera I'd be a photographer)

Why so much work for a dinky 2-minute commercial? I'm picky. I like to have a great big peice of paper to work with beofre I start cutting. ;)

I'm not even going to bother putting up any kind of release date for this monster. Once this is done I'll probably upload it via free WiFi and not look at it again for a year.

6. oreotragus

oreotragus Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 1, 2009
    I'm looking forward to this! Best of luck to you.

7. Cara_Undercover_Jedi

Nov 3, 2006
    Thank you! Nice to know I'm not just blowing smoke in the air.

I've gotten 136 out of 215 frames done! Woot![face_dancing] Plus one of my pals has offered to split the workload. He's going to do the blaster bolts and flashes, while I'm going to stick with the sabers. I can pactically gaurentee this guy won't bail; he's my assistant producer who's on three months leave from work and has been bored out of his skull looking for something to do. Plus he's a regular Photoshop wizard. He made the posters. :)

MAYBE we can finish this thing by Fall...*knock on wood*

8. Cara_Undercover_Jedi

Nov 3, 2006
    Wow! I've already gotten the first rotoscoped scene back from my assistant and it looks AWESOME! [face_dancing] Two more scenes to go. I'm hoping today I can get my sisters' nephew back into his Youngling costume (if it still fits, LOL) and do a little tiny shot with him. I've gotten the first 50 frames or so roto'ed of the last scene with a saber and then I'll be sending it off to my assistant for the blaster bolts and contact flashes.

WHEE! :D

9. Cara_Undercover_Jedi

Nov 3, 2006
    WHEE! Two scenes down, one -well, actually two, since I got another couple shots the day before yesterday- to go. There's still two scenes I'd LOVE to get for it, but one of them is darned near impossible without certain costumed actors who have refused to help out. :mad: Another one I could do if I just had a greenscreen and enough lights.

Technically, Production is over, so I'm calling these tidbits 'pickups and re-shoots'. They give me something to do while waiting fo finished shots from my pal- who's my only help at this point.

My assistant producer continues to amaze me. Now he's talking about messing around with ANIMATION,in addition to the rotoscoping and compositing he's already done! :eek: I'm wishing sooo bad I could put up a trailer with a little effects shot so you could see what I mean, but it takes so darn long to upload anything...I'd go to the library but I'm deathly afraid the heat would fry the circuits in my laptop before I got there.

I'm still shooting for a fall release date at this point. By then I should be all done (with the shots that are possible, anyway) and can put this monster to bed. Ugh. What a nightmare. [face_hypnotized]

10. Cara_Undercover_Jedi

Nov 3, 2006
    WHEW! The final visual effects shot is back and looks fantastic! Now there's just three pickup shots left (maybe a couple seconds each) and this thing is done.

Better yet, we're back up with DSL so I can upload stuff! HURRAY!

I uploaded another trailer to YouTube this morning. If they want to take it down, that's their problem. With the final movie I'll be posting that to Vimeo.

11. DaMaher

DaMaher Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 6, 2008
    Look good.

12. Cara_Undercover_Jedi

Nov 3, 2006
    My rotoscoper has decided to 'fix' another scene for me that doesn't look too good right now. He'll be putting my nephew in a new location, too.

Due to a family move and another unwanted dose of DRL, I'm guessing it's not going to be out until winter. It's not that the last of the work will take that long (each mini-scene will probably take like 1 minute to film), it's the fact I can't seem to get the right people yet. There's a parade coming up that the right people will be in, and I can probably get the scene then, but that's not until the first week of December. [face_frustrated]

13. Cara_Undercover_Jedi

Nov 3, 2006
    Don't hold your breath. I have no free time right now. Now I've run into some legal issues. It's looking doubtful now that Order 66 will ever see the light of day. It is now, officially another statistic of unfinished projects.

Mods, please delete this thread.

14. kuatengineer

kuatengineer Jedi Master star 2

Apr 3, 2008
    Before this gets deleted - what happened that would totally kill the film?

15. Cara_Undercover_Jedi

Nov 3, 2006
    Several things-

1.) There's no way I can get three critial scenes shot without the cooperation of certain armored individuals- which I can't get for anything :mad: - and a decent Yoda puppet.

2.) Despite successfully procuring much better sound equipment, finding a quiet enough place to do final voiceovers is next to impossible.

3.) Speaking of voiceovers, my two options for Yoda's voice are out of the picture. I know Yoda voices are a dime a dosen, but theirs...let's just say you'd think Frank Oz was standing behind you.

4.) I'm just plain tired of it. I've wasted two years of my life on this stupid thing, trying to get people to volunteer and having them do so, only to have them bail out at the last minute. The one person who has stayed with it is my assistant producer/special effects supervisor, who is still slowly but surely rotoscoping the last lightsaber blade. I want to bury this whole mess in the ground and move on.

IF Order 66 ever sees the light of day, it will not be any time within the foreseeable future, and I have grave doubts as to whether it will ever be completed. :(

16. Cara_Undercover_Jedi

Nov 3, 2006
    **dusts off thread, coughing and hacking violently...gets a cough drop** [face_skull]

In the interest of not giving up yet still keeping my sanity and getting my life back, a much-abbreviated version of 'Vote No on Order 66' will be released on June 8. For certain scenes I will be using nothing more than still pictures. Technically it won't be finished (at least not to my liking), but maybe someday when I make REAL movies and sit at my ranch out in the middle of nowhere, I can look back at my first 'film' and actually have the rescources to make it like I want it, pull a Lucas and do a Special Edition (but I promise, no richochets from smugglers or digital creatures, LOL!)

If anyone remembers I posted 'way back in November that I was ready to throw Order 66 in the recycle bin because of delays and frustrations. But, the final effects shot finally came back, and I was able to talk my brother into doing his Yoda voice (which I just recorded last night).

So, if anyone is interested, Order 66 will finally be released to the general public in June. I-) Look for it on YouTube or Vimeo (depends in which lets me keep the music in there).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.