main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST VOTE: Which OT characters will die in Episode VII?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Ichthyocentaur, Apr 28, 2014.

?

Who's getting axed?

1. Luke Skywalker

27 vote(s)
    22.9%
  2. Leia Organa (Solo?)

16 vote(s)
    13.6%
  3. Han Solo

82 vote(s)
    69.5%
  4. Lando Calrissian

9 vote(s)
    7.6%
  5. C-3PO

2 vote(s)
    1.7%
  6. R2-D2

2 vote(s)
    1.7%
  7. Chewbacca

15 vote(s)
    12.7%
  8. Wedge Antilles

6 vote(s)
    5.1%
  9. Boba Fett (and he survived the Sarlacc!)

5 vote(s)
    4.2%
  10. Jar Jar Binks

20 vote(s)
    16.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Adi_Gallia_9

Adi_Gallia_9 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 16, 2001
    If all the new rumors are true about Jedi Hunters, I think it ups the chances of Luke dying at some point. They've been after him for 30 years and what marks the low-point of the ST is them finally catching up to him. His death then spurs on Boyega/Ridley/whatever other Jedi there are to a final victory.

2. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    If Luke does indeed die they need to save it for Episode 9.

Indy 11, TKT, CairnsTony and 2 others like this.
  3. CairnsTony

CairnsTony Force Ghost star 5

May 7, 2014
    I've an increasing hunch that Luke is the Chosen One, popping up at the right time to redeem his father and now perhaps making the ultimate sacrifice to save John and Daisy or whomever and thus enabling them to totally defeat the Sith/Jedi Hunters et al as a direct result. A selfless act that is necessary for the prophesy to be fulfilled. Maybe....;)

4. Kraven Head

Kraven Head Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 5, 2012
    Unfortunaly... its going to be Solo as Ford wanted him dead for the past 30 years.

5. Kraven Head

Kraven Head Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 5, 2012
    [/quote] I've an increasing hunch that Luke is the Chosen One;)[/quote]

My money is still on Anakin being the chosen one. As a Force Ghost, he'll lead/advise the Skywalker clan on how to rid the galaxy of the Sith.
    Also, prophecy didnt state *how* the chosen one would being balance. Don't forget Lucas did replace Sebastian Shaw w/ HC at the end of ROTJ.

Cheers, KH

6. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    You know, since the Fett's were in the last two trilogies, we shouldn't be surprised to see someone that's related, again. Perhaps a daughter this time? :)

ForgottennJedi1986 likes this.
  7. MovingPictures73

MovingPictures73 Jedi Padawan star 1

Jul 12, 2014
    To me, the satisfaction of the story will not be in who dies. This movie has an enormous task before it to recapture the hearts of the Star Wars fans. You will not accomplish that by killing off icons in the first chapter.

8. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014

Is that Episode VII or Clue? ;)

Dak Oolron likes this.
  9. yogacat

yogacat Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 6, 2014
    Didn't JJ say he wanted a more fun, happy feeling? Killing off one of the Big 3 probably wouldn't accomplish that. If were predicting, I say it'll he Han in Episode VIII. If anyone survives, I say it's Leia. Because she can serve as a key character if there is any kind of political subplot happening, as well as tapping into the force.

10. Darth_Corvus

Darth_Corvus Jedi Master star 4

Jun 17, 2010

I never read this part but it is possible. I'm sure we will see all the old ones die during the trilogy.

11. Myself656

Myself656 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 5, 2008
    Dramatically speaking, Luke is safe until he has truly passed on all that he has learned to at least one of the new heroes. Odds are that will be the end Ep8 or beginning of Ep9 (i.e. more like Yoda than Obi-Wan).

So many people expect Han to die that there's going to be little shock value to it if it happens. The one I think is most likely to be killed (if anyone is) is Leia, both because its unexpected and because I don't think there's going to be much, if any, political maneuvering going on (that was one of the things apparently most disliked about the PT) which greatly limits the role she could play, while at the same time her death would carry the most emotional weight to everyone else (Luke would have lost his sister, Han his wife, and one or more of the new leads their mother) and therefore be more effective dramatically than Han simply going out in a blaze of glory.

That said, there is also the possibility that they could kill BOTH Han and Leia, leaving a potential Solo child an orphan who then becomes Luke's apprentice. I actually find this more likely than just Han dying.

What I definitely do NOT see happening is Han destroying the Falcon in the process of going out in a blaze of glory. The Falcon is the closest thing to HOME for a lot of Star Wars fans and I don't think you lovingly rebuild the entire interior of the ship just to blow it bits in the first film of a trilogy. In terms of legacies and passing the torch it makes far more sense for Han to pass on the Falcon to a son/daughter who will have 'Uncle Chewie' still looking out for them and the Falcon then be the 'home base' for our new heroes throughout the rest of this trilogy (turning losing the radar dish whenever anyone but a Solo or Chewie flies her into a running gag would be more than acceptable however).

12. CaptainYossarian

CaptainYossarian Jedi Master star 3

Mar 30, 2003
    I don't think Luke will die because there's more value in keeping him around to be in overall control of the Jedi/Force aspect of the story - ie he's the 'old master'. There are going to be new characters in this trilogy so will Luke die so soon? I know Luke himself never knew Obi-Wan that long but now that has been done, and Luke went on to learn from Yoda. Now Luke is the sole old Jedi, he may well stick around to act in that capacity. He could start off the younger characters in Ep 7, then take a back seat in Ep 8 and come back strong in the finale.

With Leia I don't think it's likely she will die since she is an established female character so they need her to balance the characters of that generation. Also she theoretically has even more to do now since she could have a political role as well as having a family and learning about and using her Force abilities.

Similarly, I think that if Han did not die as a young man then there's even less reason for him to go now since he now has a real life for himself. I don't feel as though killing older Han would be right, at least not in this episode. It would be better for the audience to be refamiliarised with Han - and to get to know him as he is now - before he could die. It could still work though because instead of being a man with no future he'd be a man who's lived a worthwhile life - and I can't see Han dying peacefully so maybe it will be his last hurrah?

On the whole I think that in the ST it won't be a case of killing the OT characters, I think they may just remain important but more in the background as the new characters rise to prominence. I think retaining the older generation provides a link to both former trilogies and so to have those characters around in the ST gives the overall stroy more cohesion - ie there's always a solid basis for the new characters and action, rather than them being out there on their own. Although we probably don't want the new to become reliant on the old too much, or for the classic characters to be included just as a matter of course with nothing to do.

It might not necessarily be a downer if an OT character dies in Ep 7 since it would depend on how it happens. Obi-Wan died in ANH but it was a positive thing when Luke went on to succeed. There's going to be lots going on in this film though - old and new characters, old and new fans watching. Kids of today might not be that familiar with Luke/Leia/Han and so this film will reintroduce them in whatever their current roles are int he galaxy - and if any are going to die, that may be in the next episodes, especially the 'middle act' maybe.

13. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008
    Hopefully, most of them.

14. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Since Yoda, Anakin or Palpatine didn't die in Episode 4 I highly doubt a lot of them will die in 7.