main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Det, MI Voting Privileges Charter Amendment discussion - (vote at Feb 8 meeting)

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by lewiskev, Jan 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lewiskev

lewiskev Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 7, 2002
    This is one of several Charter Amendments approved by the R2-Detroit Jedi Council to be voted upon at the February 8th meeting.

At the January 11 meeting, it became apparent several details of the Voting Privileges amendment needed further discussion - these appear in the colored phrases below.

Rationale behind requesting amendment
    Members must be present at meetings to vote (Article VI, Sections A & B). This could prevent otherwise active members from voting due to staying home with a sick kid or having to work.

Current Charter wording in Article VI, Sections A (Charter Amendments) & B (Voting Guidelines):
    "... and all Official Members present will vote. ..."

Proposed change in wording:
    "... and posted to R2-Detroit's Fan Force boards' meeting agenda thread three days prior to the meeting. Official Members present at the meeting will vote. Non-attending Official Members present at any of the prior three months' R2-Detroit general group meetings may also vote if written / emailed preferences are received by the club Secretary 24 hours before the meeting. ..."

This amendment will be effective February 8, 2003.

===========================
    This thread is to discuss the details of the proposed amendment:

• Time period for web posting prior to meeting.
    • Number of prior meetings whose members may be allowed to vote. The original charter did not allow non-attending members to vote, possibly to encourage attendance. Attendees at the January meeting preferred a three month period.
    • Deadline for vote to be received by Secretary.
    ====================
    If you think the amendment's proposed change in wording suggested at the January meeting is acceptable, we'll use it at the February vote. If not, post your suggestions for changes to this thread.

Keven
    edited to correct meeting date references

2. MiraxTHorn

MiraxTHorn Jedi Master star 4

Aug 22, 2000
    How about this wording for clarity?

Any Official Members not in attendance may vote by absentee ballot as long as they have attended any of the prior three months' R2-Detroit general group meetings. The absentee ballot must be an email or letter received by the Secretary at least...

Regards,
    M.

3. Midnightguard

Midnightguard Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 3, 2002
    Just my two bits, but you may want to expand the absentee voting recieving to "anyone" on the council... since if the secretary is not present for the meeting (or there is not one at all like the current situation) then no absentee votes will be counted.

Just thought I'd point that out.

4. TheHuntressDiana

TheHuntressDiana Jedi Padawan star 4

May 4, 2001
    Bumping this up as the next meeting is just around the corner.

5. Capt_Piett

Capt_Piett Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 2002
    Midnightguard,
    We could always have it so that I receive absentee ballots and if I could not attend the meeting, I could e-mail the results to any other member of the Jedi Council (Most likely the City Rep.)

6. lewiskev

lewiskev Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 7, 2002
    I originally proposed one person be responsible for receiving votes so the secretary wouldn't need to scramble around and contact 11 other Jedi Council members to get the official vote count.

I think Kyle has a good workaround (that the recipient of the votes can forward any received), but after examining the R2-Detroit Charter, I'd like to propose absentee ballots be forwarded to the FanForce Chapter Representative (responsible for overseeing voting by group members); the results of the vote would be recorded by the Secretary as part of their keeping minutes responsibility.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.