main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation VULTURE: Zack Snyder Is Developing a Star Wars Film Outside the New Trilogy

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by rezpen, Jan 14, 2013.

1. Kyris Cavisek

Kyris Cavisek Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 12, 2012
    True, we could have entire Kenobi or Windu stories. A Yoda trilogy... We could have any number of things...

Dra--- likes this.
  2. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
  3. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    There is rumor of another animated one... no info on it though, here's hoping it is the "New Republic" show

Echo-07 likes this.
  4. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    Not only does the EU Live, it is EXPLODING!!!!

Apophis_ and Dra--- like this.
  5. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    TCW has at least three seasons left, as they're just now writing those episodes with the Battle of Coruscant. TCW will be around in 2015.

There's another animated series coming out as per reported by TFN that's already in the works, as well as the Live Action series.

6. Disciple-of-Tython

Disciple-of-Tython Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 12, 2006
    Nothing which Lucasfilm haven't previously done, they paid over 4 Billion, I think they have the right to do what they want. Plus more live action is exactly what Star Wars needs after years of cartoons and books and comics and games and.....well you get the point. I bet if they didn't make more films and carried on with what has been the status quo for the past 7 years, there'd be many disappointed fans. I say just give these new on screen endeavours a chance, you never know they may be amazingly amazing.

7. GGrievous

Nov 6, 2005
    It ticks me off that Disney might be doing this purely for the money (of course, why would they even consider buying off LFL?) The only way they could recover their 4 billion is by endlessly putting out crap and I think they will likely to succeed due to SW's popularity. I'm not too sure if Lucas still gets merchandising profits or if he gave all of that to Disney.

The "Marvel" approach just doesn't work for SW imo

8. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Seven Samurai in space. Sounds like what I thought Episode I was going to be like, back in the day.

9. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    Okay, thanks, guys! I missed that news. Would love a series that filled in the gaps after ROTJ and brought us up to Episode 7.

LOL I'm still in season 2. I have a lot of catching-up to do! :p

10. AaylaSecurOWNED

AaylaSecurOWNED Jedi Master star 6

May 19, 2005
    As opposed to why Lucas made the PT?

11. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    I will say that I don't want to get Episode 7, then an "in-between" film, then Episode 8, then another "in-between" film and then Episode 9 and so on. I don't want Star Wars to become Disney's next Marvel venture, where they committed to releasing at least two Marvel films every year. I think that will cheapen Star Wars somewhat. I would prefer them to concentrate entirely on the ST first, then they can release other films. It appears, though, that that won't be the case.

I am excited by this news, but I do find it a bit of a double-edged sword. I don’t want Star Wars to become so saturated and cheapened that it just becomes a joke. You know, I don’t want people’s reactions to the trailer for yet another upcoming “Star Wars” film to be “Oh, not another one”. I think there’s a real danger of that happening. Hopefully Disney and Lucasfilm have considered that. I’m sure they have.

12. Lord Optimus

Lord Optimus Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 30, 2011
    I was wondering this as well, could we be getting spin off movies in the years between the episodic trilogy?

2015 Star Wars: Episode VII
    2016 Star Wars: Seven Jedi
    2017 Star Wars: Insert Spin Off Title Here
    2018 Star Wars: Episode VIII
    2019 Star Wars: Insert Spin Off Title Here
    2020 Star Wars: Insert Spin Off Title Here
    2021 Star Wars: Episode IX

Cad Carnage and Echo-07 like this.
  13. GGrievous

Nov 6, 2005
    Regardless of PT's lesser quality (which really wasn't my point), the PT actually had a purpose, while Disney's trilogy really does not. If you go by his word, Lucas said they wouldn't be a ST, but once he sold his company, Disney automatically said "ST in 2015!!11" out of the blue.

14. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    This isn't exactly accurate. For years George waffled on whether it would be 9 or even 12 episosdes. After he got relentlessly bashed for the PT he decided NOT to do more. I didn't blame him. So he changed his mind years later and wrote detailed treatments for Eps 7-9 and then sold the whole shebang to Disney and now we're getting our ST and more movies.

Dude, I like you, but I don't know why you're being so negative about this. This is good news! This is what George couldn't do because he didn't have the time and energy. Dissney bought LFL so we could have these awesome adventures and the possibilities with this spinoff are exciting. I bet it's gonna be like the Marvel movies in that it helps set up the ST while being outside of it. I encourage everyone to be optimistic.

15. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    Yeah but how do you know that without knowing any information on what the new films will be about.

16. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Zuckuss the Ruckuss Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2013
    I agree that the "Marvel" approach doesn't work with Star Wars. But you CAN keep on making Star Wars movies until the end of the time. But Disney has to be very weary of brand saturation. I think they are a pretty good company in that regard. I think they know when to "lay off."

If this is a project that is 4-6 years down the road, I don't see the problem with that.

Disney, btw, will recover most of that 4 billion in no time from the merchandizing of Star Wars alone. I don't think they are too worried about that, especially since that 4 billion was spent for ALL of Lucasfilm(including subsids)is a massive discount.

If Lucas REALLY wanted to make some money off of this, he could have started a bidding war over the summer among studios. Forcing a studio to be spending in the upwards of 10 billion dollars or more, which would have forced them to be a factory.

Lucas chose Disney for this exact reason, because they know how to deal with brands long term.

El_Machete12 and Krueger like this.
  17. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    One more reason that the EU won't be destroyed. The bottom line is $$$$$$. Book numbers are going to double. They are going to go all out...

Between Star Wars and Marvel, Disney will own Hollywood and all of Television by 2020

El_Machete12 and Apophis_ like this.
  18. GGrievous

Nov 6, 2005
    Well I never thought this would occur in this franchise. The special feeling of the OT pretty much has faded away over the many years and I know all of that would be gone once the new trilogy is out + all those spin offs. I bet future generation kids will be like "eww those old movies, I like the new ones!" :p :(

I'll tell you that there are certainly meh books in SW. :p Some are great, others are not so great. (that includes comics too).

I just hope Disney doesn't lose sight of what SW is.

19. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I never saw 300 but I'll probably try and watch it now. I never saw Suckerpunch either and I'm not even certain what it is but I thought Watchmen was pretty decent.

As for Seven Jedi I wonder if this is the project Kasdan and Kinberg are working on.

Echo-07 likes this.
  20. CGI-BOBAFENT

CGI-BOBAFENT Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2002
    Shame it implies after episode 6, would've loved to have seen Owen Lars begrudgingly calling for Kenobis help on Tatooine against marauding pirates/tusken

Darth Chiznuk and Krueger like this.
  21. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    Odds are this Seven Jedi movie is coming out after Episode IX

They said a new movie every 2-3 years.

2015: VII
    2018: VIII
    2021: IX
    2023: Seven Jedi movie.

22. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Zuckuss the Ruckuss Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2013
    I think EU narratives will be completely destroyed. But that certain concepts, characters, planets may survive. But they will be probably repurposed or reimagined.

23. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    This is the best news since they first announced Disney was buying out Lucasfilm IMO. I have said from day one that I would prefer spin off movies to more numbered episodes. It just always struck me as a more sensible route for disney to go down and would provide audiences with completely new and exciting stories. So I can't describe how excited I am about this news.

I'm not the biggest fan of Snyder though. I liked his Dawn of the Dead remake, and I think he's got a great sense of visual style which will be welcome within a franchise like Star Wars. But a lot of his movies just aren't that good to me, so like some others I will be waiting to see his work on Man of Steel before making a complete judgement on this news.

darthcaedus1138 and Dra--- like this.
  24. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    I just keep on remembering back to that first video with Lucas and Kennedy where he says they have story treatments for "7, 8 and 9 and a bunch of other movies". Really makes you wonder what else is on the horizon.

El_Machete12 and Echo-07 like this.
  25. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    I remember when Disney used to do movies like Lion King and Little Mermaid... Now we have Tron, Marvel Star Wars Muppets Pixar... Need I continue... Even the new Muppets was AMAZING!!!