main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph W/ Bob and David

Discussion in 'Community' started by Mortimer Snerd, Nov 18, 2015.

1. Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd Force Ghost star 4

Dec 27, 2012
    So I couldn't sleep the other night and I completely by accident discovered W/Bob and David on Netflix. I knew it was coming but I didn't know it was here!

So I watched them all. As a huge fan of Mr. Show I was delighted to see this sort of intelligent sketch comedy come back. W/Bob and David is just as hilarious and just as brilliant as Mr. Show was and I can't wait for more.

The only downside is that there are only four episodes.

Hogarth Wrightson likes this.
  2. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    For a long time I disliked Bob Odenkirk and David Cross. I did not like Mr. Show, and thought they were just awful. Then they started popping up in things that I like, and I though probably I was wrong about them. Probably Mr. Show wasn't bad, and I just didn't get it, or caught it at the wrong time in my life. But now this comes to Netflix, and I see that my initial feelings were correct. The jokes are tired, childish, drawn out, and lazy.

The first sketch (after the real-time travel) sketch is five minutes of the same joke over and over, and the payoff is that he stuffs a whole slice of pizza into his mouth immediately. I stopped watching after that, but it reminded me of why I don't like them. Every sketch is like cooking oatmeal in a crockpot. There's no need to cook it for that long, and the payoff is bland and monotonous.

Plus it's not terribly well-acted.

I don't know. Maybe I'm just not high enough.

darthcaedus1138 likes this.
  3. Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd Force Ghost star 4

Dec 27, 2012
    I'm sorry you were abused as a child and grew up to become a fan of reality television and Nickleback.

4. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    Nickelback is scientifically engineered to be pleasant! You're in denial if you say you don't like it!

Boba_Fett_2001 likes this.
  5. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    As much as I liked Mr. Show, I'm still not gonna shell out the dough for just this one show.

6. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Perhaps Netflix can have more than one show. I'll ask them to look into it.

7. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    I never watched Mr. Show, but I got sucked into this series when Paul F. Tompkins who voices Mr. Peanutbutter (BoJack Horseman) was in the first sketch of the first episode. I've watched 3 so far, and with any sketch comedy, not all bits are winners but there are some funny jems in the bunch that I've seen.

If you don't have Netflix, I wouldn't sign up just for this show, but I think there are other shows on Netflix. I'll wait to hear back from Diggy 's research.

Diggy likes this.
  8. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Just the one show, apparently. But they do have a free trial.

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  9. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    I really don't care much for it. Every joke seems drawn out, obvious and just not all that funny.

10. Hogarth Wrightson

Hogarth Wrightson Jedi Knight star 4

Jul 2, 2015
    It's great to see these guys working together again after 17 years. At an artists' flop house I used to live in in the early 2000s, we had tapes of Mr. Show running in constant rotation, along with MST3K. Those were the days of bachelor poverty and high comedy.

The only bit I didn't like in all 4 of the new episodes is the sketch with the three brothers going "Digital!", but the rest of the series is A+ absurdist/socially biting sketch comedy in the vain of Python or Kids in the Hall, only American. Hooray for Bob and David, welcome back guys.