main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

W W R D ?

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by Genghis12, Dec 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    I would like to share with you all a new psychosis I seem to have discovered while playing my new game of choice, Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords.

And admittedly, it's likely not merely just playing this game which is the root cause. No, it's likely the back-to-back effect of having just finished yet another play through of the original Knights of the Old Republic in preparation of its sequel.

I seem to have taken on a new worldview in life. Everything seems to now be a matter of Dark Side Points and Light Side Points. Every routine daily task has become a matter of galactic proportions as the choice will reverberate throughout the world. Every choice a matter of whether I help them without compensation, thank them for compensation offered, demand an increase in compensation offered, or merely offer to kill them on the spot.

So, as we go into this hectic time of holiday shopping, it seems that this view and the choices are becoming clearer in the world around me.

So, as I play through Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords, I wonder.

I wonder am I the only one who now asks the question:
      What Would Revan Do?
    Allow me to illustrate.

Today, after work I had to run to the mall to do some Christmas shopping. It seems that the mall carries with it a number of pitfalls and problems waiting to be solved by the budding Jedi knight, or aggravated by the Sith Lord-in-training.

Before making it into the mall, I encountered a small girl who looked bewildered. I was heading straight to the entrance, certainly ready to ignore her. But, she blocked my way and asked me, "Do you know where my mommy is?"

Immediately, a set of choices flashed into my mind. Do I tell her:
    A: "No, but what does she look like? Maybe I can help."
    B: "Why does this concern me?"
    C: "How much do you have on you, little girl?"
    D: [Persuade] "Mommy doesn't love you anymore. She left you here."
    E: [Force Persuade] "Mommy is in the center lane of traffic over there in that busy street."

So, after deciding how Revan would handle the situation, I entered the mall.

[Awareness] I found the store I was looking for.

As I was approaching the aisle where the gift was at, I spotted a thieving maurauder who had gotten to the scene merely seconds before and already had it in their hands. There was only one on the shelf. Again, a set of choices was very clear to me:
    A: "You really look like you could use that gift. Please go ahead and take it. I have time to visit many more stores tonight, and I'm sure I'll come across another one."
    B: "Look, I'll pay you to leave the gift on the shelf."
    C: [Intimidate] "I'll gladly split it with you. Sorry, I meant I will gladly split your skull open."
    D: Drop it or die!

Again, there was clearly one choice which Revan definitely would have picked.

So, I was on my way out of the store when I overheard a frantic woman about my age asking people if they had seen her daughter. I knew I had to intervene. But, how to handle it?
    A: "Ma'am, I've seen your daughter out front at the east exit. She's waiting for you there."
    B: "Luckily, I'm a detective. My usual fee will apply, though."
    C: "[Persuasion] I think I saw her getting into a black sedan with this big, bald guy with tatoos all over his head."
    D: "I killed her. Don't worry. You'll be joining her soon."

So, after I solved all of the mall's problems, I figured I ought to get into my car, drive home and ask you all here?

What would Revan do?

Are there situations in your own life where you're looking for guidance that perhaps can be solved by several different choices? And how do you think Revan would take care of them?

2. Evil Incarnate

Evil Incarnate Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 18, 2003
    [face_laugh]

Awesome. :p

Evil.

3. Iron_Fist

Iron_Fist Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 30, 2003
    That is quite possibly the funniest thing I have read this last few months. [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

Light side Revan in real life would be a bum on the streets, made poor by his constant gifts to other people and charities, often giving away hard-earned money that could have been used to buy himself a new anorak for the coming winter. He would, though, assist at the local Salvation Army soup kitchen, and only once all those in line were served would he partake from the meal.

Dark side Revan would be a crime warlord, king of the underworld. Carrying out his own dirty work deep into enemy territory, he would fry anyone standing in his way, and hack apart those who defied him. He would always place himself first, never giving into the needs of others unless it suited his purposes.

[/stupid speculation :p]

I_F

4. C-3PX

C-3PX Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 2, 2002
    what would waru do

5. Imperial_Hammer

Imperial_Hammer Manager Emeritus: RPFs star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 25, 2004
    [face_laugh]

Extremely funny Genghis12.... as a KOTOR player myself, those are like exactly like the choices you would have...

Lols....

6. LordJoda-181

LordJoda-181 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 8, 2004
    Thats great Genghis

7. Vongchild

Vongchild Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 2, 2004
    Hilliarious!!

You see a board titled WWRD?
    a] click it

b] ignore it

c] spam it!

d] BLOW UP THE COMPUTER!!!

8. alpha_red

alpha_red Jedi Youngling star 5

Aug 24, 2003
    *splits side open laughing*

(A menu of choices appears.)

1. Transport alpha to the hospital.
    2. Attempt to restrain him.
    3. Ask for money before rendering assistance.
    4. Yell for a doctor.
    5. Stand there.
    6. Take his wallet and laugh at him.
    7. Begin kicking him.

9. JediHobbit

JediHobbit Jedi Master star 5

Mar 2, 2002
    I heart you Genghis. [face_love]

10. Darth_Vaders_cousin

Darth_Vaders_cousin Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 12, 2004
    Thank god revan isn't real, I'm mean holy crap, we'd either have world piece or world destruction, niether a bright prospect.

and thatn god Gengis doesn't have revans heart, other wise their would be a mall full of dead people.

11. Iron_Fist

Jan 30, 2003
    and thatn god Gengis doesn't have revans heart, other wise their would be a mall full of dead people.

How do you know there isn't? [face_mischief] ;)

I_F

12. NaboosPrincess

NaboosPrincess Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 14, 2001
    Come on, Iron_Fist, something like that would have made the news by now. I hope. :p

13. Genghis12

Nov 18, 1999
    So, my choices continue. And today, I believe the larger picture is becoming clearer. Earlier in the day, I was in the process of completing a project. All that remained was to get the cover letter completed. However, one of our three front office secretaries is out on vacation for the holidays. So, the workload on the remaining ones has increased and some incidental jobs have dropped in priority.

So, I came to the secretary with the draft of my letter which I needed to be put into "standard form." I figured to myself, how would Revan get this task completed best?
    A. "I am aware that the other secretary is out until the 20th, so I won't trouble you with any more work. I'll complete this letter for you."
    B. [Force Persuade] "This is the letter you are looking to complete right now."
    C. [Persuade] "This letter is more important than that job the CEO asked you to do, could you get mine done first?"
    D. [Persuade/Intimidate] "Look schutta, I've got pictures from the Christmas party. If this letter's not in my hands by 9:30 this morning, they get posted on the lunch room bulletin board."
    E. "Die!"

Well, finished letter in hand, something dawned on me. I needed a paper clip. Well, as I said before, incidental secretarial work had been reprioritized. Evidently stocking up the office was one of them. I went to the other secretary to see if she could get me a paper clip, and this is when my revelation hit. For some time now, our competitors had been acting below our radar. Not really going after the big jobs that would force a confrontation between us - they weren't ready for that yet. Just the smaller jobs that while lucrative, were not so lucrative according to my superiors to justify the costs of competing in the bid process over them. So, we were letting them fall. But, that justification was wrong. They were wrong. It wasn't a cost/benefit issue. The right man could easily fend off our competitors and keep these jobs in our hands. It was weakness! My superiors were terrified to act against our competitors themselves. So, they just sat in their front offices and meditated on what to do, all the while the numbers of small jobs we were losing grew. The time for inaction was over. War was already to us, and they had turned their backs.
    Something had to be done, and I would not sit idly by while we lose job after job to the barbarians. If war was to be waged, I would not be afraid to take back the jobs that were rightfully ours.

So, like I was saying, I needed a paper clip. I went to the other secretary to try and solve this problem. She said that the supply closet was out of paper clips because no one had been able to go to the 3rd floor storage room to transfer some new boxes up yet. And she was too busy to get some now A new problem had presented itself. No, not a problem. Not for Revan. For Revan, this would be a new "opportunity."
    A. [Force Persuade] "Get my paper clip."
    B. "That's fine. I'm sure I'll come across a paper clip in the course of the day to use. It might mean that my letter does not get mailed today, but the longer path lacking any knowledge of tangible benefits is more fulfilling than the quick, easy path, anyway."
    C. [Wisdom] "If you'll give me the directions to the storage room, I can track down a paper clip for myself."
    D. [Awareness] "You're lying. You're not out of paper clips. You have one right there in that stack holding those papers together. You can let me use it."
    D. "I don't know if you're holding any paper clips back or not, but I'll pay you $2.00 for one right now."
    E. "Looks like this is your unlucky day. If my papers don't get a clip, then you don't get to live. Oh, no paper clips? Pepare to die!"

Well, something strange came over me. A feeling. A sense of something greater. I asked her for directions. Something in her words... No, not her words. Something in the storage room itself was compelling me to go there.

[Intelligence] I could understand the directions.

My path was now clear. I would be taking a trip far bey

14. Iron_Fist

Jan 30, 2003
    [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

Come on, Iron_Fist, something like that would have made the news by now. I hope.

Well, if Genghis was the fully gung-ho darkside Revan that I played KOTOR as, he would have taken out and/or intimidated the news people into shutting the hell up. He then would have brazenly sliced through all law enforcement officers who had raced to the mall to stop the crazed one-man killing machine, and then taken the necessary actions to ensure that no one outside his home town would know about the massacre, and that those who did know were too scared to do anything. :p

I_G

15. Darth_Vaders_cousin

Darth_Vaders_cousin Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 12, 2004
    Ummm...Has anyone watched the news lately, because this is starting to worry me, and Genghis' options are far beond the reach of KotOR...has the true revan revealed himself at last??

16. Mortimer_Nerdly

Mortimer_Nerdly Jedi Master star 5

Sep 19, 2002
    **Collapses on the floor laughing**

[face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

[]=====#[]<---------------- M_N! ----------------

17. Jedi_Sha

Jedi_Sha Jedi Master star 5

Oct 13, 2002
    genghis, i love you. i think i laughed off about 10 lbs reading that.
    and it's so true. those are the exact options you would have. i just don't understand you dark side people though. i can't even play dark side in a game or my conscience goes haywire.

18. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Sha, I know how you feel... normally, it's okay. KOTOR's evil, though, makes me feel positively dreadful for doing those sort of things.

And KOTORII has evil down even better. I played Dark my first time, since that's what I did on the original, but I found myself tempted to be nice--repeatedly--because I couldn't stomach the evil responses.

But, Genghis, you have given me inspiration.

'W W R D' is now my motto in life.

19. Vesper2112

Vesper2112 FF President & CR, Chattanooga, TN star 4

Nov 14, 2003
    HA! I love it! I'm playing through KOTOR I right now and doing it the "dark" way to boot. You are so right with the way these options seem to make everything so clear now. JediSha... I didn't think I could play it as dark side, but I swear... you seem to... get used to it. Being evil becomes... easier. Real easy, actually. It's as if you're on a slide and you pick up steam the longer you stay on. Thing is, slides always go DOWN. Uh-oh.

20. Genghis12

Nov 18, 1999
    Jello...
    "'W W R D' is now my motto in life."

:D We can start our own movement. We can at least count on all of those Australians who got "Jedi" recognized as an official religion to support it.

Vesper...
    Remember, for every dark side point gained, there's just another light side point around the corner to wash it away...

...that is, unless you're near the end of your game. Then you're kind of screwed. [face_evil]

21. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Now I finally know how to handle my Spanish final...

[Force Persuade/Intimidate]Give me an A, or I will fail you. Permanently.

Now all I need to do is build my own HK-47 assassin droid...

22. Imperial_Hammer

Imperial_Hammer Manager Emeritus: RPFs star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 25, 2004
    Oh man,

Kudos Genghis...

So funny.... [face_laugh]

WWRD: Its all you ever need to know...

23. NaboosPrincess

NaboosPrincess Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 14, 2001
    I feel like I'm missing out by not playing this game...but from what I can gather, WWRD sounds like a great motto. ;)

24. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Dude.

You're missing out on life by not playing... honestly. :p

25. Evil Incarnate

Evil Incarnate Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 18, 2003
    [face_laugh]

Genghis, you're my Hero! :p

Evil.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.