main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:NSW w0rd up!

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Syrix_Kahl, Mar 31, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Syrix_Kahl

Syrix_Kahl Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 25, 2001
    big ups for da new banner scheme.

2. Keith_Katarn

Keith_Katarn Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 3, 2002
    Yeah, true dat. Phat props go out to the Homie Force Massive - the only posse truly representin' the East Coast. Big up.

3. TheOzhaggis

TheOzhaggis Jedi Master star 5

Nov 1, 2000

I think I speak on behalf of most when I say ...

?

4. Keith_Katarn

Jan 3, 2002
    Oh sorry, allow me to translate.

Syrix: I would like to announce that I feel it is well done on behalf of those chaps who have created the feature colour scheme.

KK: Why, yes I agree with you, my good man. I would like to add that the people with whom this establishment are linked are most exemplary citizens. Also, I think it's splendid that these people are truly letting others know about their heritage and roots and doing marvellous things for tourism in this state. I too would like to say "Well done."

5. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Daaaaaaamn.

Phat ass banner!

Props to my wiggas for da phat colors, yo.

Where my Tamworth boys, represent?

//puts on "Can I Kick It?" by TCQ, or Tribe Called Quest for those not in the know.

E_S

6. Shara_82

Shara_82 Administrator Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 10, 2001
    I'd like to mention that I didn't give my permission for my face to be used in this banner, and demand royalties for all posts it causes. :p

7. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    You want royalties from something that's free? :eek:

Hang on, are you registered with APRA or the like?

E_S

8. TheOzhaggis

Nov 1, 2000

I understood what it said, just don't understand why FFNSW has suddenly become HomieWonderland ...

As for Shara's mugshot - she actually has copyright on her own image, so using it without permission is in violation of copyright laws ...

9. slaveone_2

slaveone_2 Jedi Master star 5

Jul 1, 2001
    fo shizzle Mr. K

10. HawkNC

HawkNC Former RSA: Oceania star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    Big up to me homies in da NSW massive. I is bringin' a message of peace from me bois in da Vic posse. Dere's been too many bruthas slain in dese gang wars. We is respectin' you if you is respectin' us, aaaiiiiight?

11. JediMasterKieca

JediMasterKieca Jedi Master star 4

Nov 30, 2000
    Is there any particular reason why we have this new repulsive banner?

Edit: Yes, I realise it's April Fools, but it's still hip hop..therefore it's no excuse! :p

Hip Hop = Modern Day Bubonic Plague

12. TheOzhaggis

Nov 1, 2000

Have we finally been totally engulfed by America ?

13. The_Scream_Man

The_Scream_Man Jedi Knight star 5

May 1, 2000
    Actually, I dont mind the occasional bit of hip Hop. Its a bit harsh calling it bubonic plague or whatever Caz.

Word.

14. Syrix_Kahl

Mar 25, 2001
    sup yo, hawk. yeah, we is tight wit da vic crew. after all, we is both representin' fo da OZ colourz neways.

15. JediEnna

JediEnna Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 25, 2000
    Before Oz and Kieca get totally carried away, I'd like to point out that not all hip hop is bubonic, nor is it a bastion of American culture.

Some of the best hip hop is local. (not that you'll hear it in the top 40. Now most of that could accurately be discribed as "bubonic"). Australian hip hop is great. It's original and its one of the few mediums used for political protest these days. I'm thinking of the Herd and the Hilltop Hoods.

It's also a great form of expression for our youth. Just think of the work that "morganics" did with some young aboriginal kids - one group he worked with are now famous as the "Wilcannia Mob". (Download "Down River" from www.morganics.info - it's just so full of local character and exuberance, you have to love it.)

And yes, I studied classical music too, so you can't call me an illiterate pariah when I say I like hip hop. There are heaps of great local artists around producing relevant, very Australian content. Listen to some before you diss them.

16. Syrix_Kahl

Mar 25, 2001
    big ups to Enna, and the Hoods. Some of the best music I've listened to in a long time.

17. JediMasterKieca

Nov 30, 2000
    Actually, I wasn't meaning the music itself, which I'll take your word as being good. :)

I meant more of the hip hop culture that has evolved surrounding the music, mostly in the US - it (thankfully) has had relatively barely any growth in Aus.
    I'm just a bit annoyed with it at the moment, as I've recently been doing research into it and its impacts in teenage culture in America, not to mention its close tie ins with a lot of corporations etc.
    Watching little 12 and 13 years olds who have been influenced by it was really depressing.
    I don't suppose anyone has seen the doco "Merchants of Cool?"

Though, technically, I suppose it's the same with lots of these new sweeping cultures.
    Ms. Spears and the creation of the new female adolescent dream (ie "The Midriff) is also another thing I have a few words to say about...

But I won't. :)

18. TheOzhaggis

Nov 1, 2000
    I wasn't going to get carried away. Much.

But I have to agree with Kieca on this one. Surely we could create an Australian youth culture instead of recycling America's sloppy seconds ?

Oh well.

Such is life.

19. Corellian_Outrider

Corellian_Outrider Former FanForce Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 9, 2002
  20. foxy_kenobi

foxy_kenobi Jedi Master star 4

Dec 11, 2000
    shizzle mmm shizzle i love you bro shizzle.

21. Keith_Katarn

Jan 3, 2002
    ha ha ha. How cool.

I think that hip hop must have a larger influence than anyone here realises. It seems that even when a sarcastic parody of the genre is used it still causes people to discuss it. I guess that's the cool thing about hip hop.

Big props to all Australian hip hop. It's a shame that people are only mentioning recent stars even though people like Sleek de Elite and the Resin Dogs have been around for ages. Our hip hop culture, although having it's roots based in American culture, still has a very distinct Australian flavour to it. In fact, I can't believe I heard a hip hop song that talked about watching footy at the local RSL.

Also, remember that when hip hop orignally burst onto the scene (usually credited in popularity to Grand Master Flash) in the early to mid eighties, it was more of a social commentary than a movement. You have to remember that the people who started it were the scourge of American culture. Minority groups hanging around in ghettos and having nonviolent rap battles went against everything that was good and right to the average American citizen.

Although not hugely into the scene I can appreciate the viewpoint of some seeing rap artists as modern day street philosophers trying to rise up against their opressors in means that are available to them. On the other hand I love to make fun of the mindless zombie followers that have used this medium to express their lack of capitalistic individuality.

Finally, the Black Americans use this genre to express their dissent against the fact that their ancestors were taken from their homes and delivered to a new country where they were treated as slaves and only in very recent times (only 40 or 50 years ago) have been given equal citizen status. I belive that indigenous Australias has even more of a right to voice this anger due to the fact that they were here first. This is also a sentiment that Chuck D (front man of Public Enemy and prominent black activitist) reflects on publicly every time he tours here.

[/end social discussion on cultural diversity effecting Australians]

22. Teknobabel

Teknobabel Jedi Master star 5

Jun 4, 2000
    Yo, check out this, Ask Snoop.com

Be sure to check out tfn on that!

Word Life!

23. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    I don't suppose anyone has seen the doco "Merchants of Cool?"

Has anyone seen Style Wars or Scratch?

E_S

24. Ki-Bara-Mundi

Ki-Bara-Mundi Jedi Master star 6

Nov 27, 2000
    Yo, wassup kids, April Fools, foo. Props to m'man Keith for buildin the shiznit banner. ;)

As for the turn the thread took, well I like hip hop (Australian and US), rap, R&B, dance, house, and a bunch of other stuff that would probably make me one of them bubonic infected people. But I can pretty much enjoy any genre of music from movie scores to rock to 80s funk... anything really. I guess my point is that you can't judge a person based on the music they listen to. :)

25. JediMasterKieca

Nov 30, 2000
    Nah, liking the music isn't being infected. :)

It's like the difference between Star Wars fandom, and Star Wars obsession.
    One is liking it, the other is living it and only it.
    Kinda of like comparing yourself to Noddy.. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.