main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Wach me get beat up by Me!

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by swmaster, Aug 7, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. swmaster

swmaster Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 16, 2001
    I decided to do an effects test for my version of jedi speed. Im going to have a Dark Jedi do this to someone in my film! I patterned my idea off of "The One".

Slow Mo

SWmaster

2. Night4554

Night4554 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 9, 2000
    hey that's pretty good, but realisticly, when you get kicked, you don't just fly off the screen :p

¤Night

3. Sciz

Sciz Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 7, 2002
    Heh, I like it ... did you just slow the footage of you falling, then composite it over they footage of you executing the beatdown? ;)

Was the falling filmed at 60fps? looks pretty good slowed down!

4. swmaster

Apr 16, 2001
    Yep Sciz thats about what I did. I actualy filmed the falling down part at 30fps. Then I made a matte around it by hand and slowed it down with sone plugins.

SWmaster

5. Sciz

Sciz Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 7, 2002
    I'd be interested to know what plugins you put to use ... that's a nice slowdown for not filming at a higher framerate!

6. ShADoW_252

ShADoW_252 Jedi Youngling

Aug 1, 2002
    I'm impressed, very nice work and btw kool room! :)

7. Shawn PTH

Shawn PTH Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 22, 2000
    Looked cool but I had to frame by frame through it. There is something horribly wrong with the compression =p

8. morpheous531

morpheous531 Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 1, 2002
    OMG that was awesome.

You are my savior. I am working on a film where I fight myself also but google doesn't show me much on the subject. Please post everything u did or atleast PM me.

That was as good as I have seen any fanfilm cloning.

P.S. hehe notice when u punch yourself your head goes foward instead of backwards.

9. Bastion

Bastion Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 2, 2001
    morpheous531, I reckon you should check out Ryan Weiber and Clay Kronke's stuff out too.

10. Lord_Rive

Lord_Rive TFN Fan Films Staff star 4 VIP

Jun 29, 2000
    Dem's some cool moves, SW. ;)

11. mpfjr

mpfjr Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 8, 2001
    P.S. hehe notice when u punch yourself your head goes foward instead of backwards.

Forward and to the right... forward and to the right.

This is what I call the "magic hand" theory whereby the fist strikes the subject in the head and pauses for 1.4 seconds before making a sharp down angle, then a u-turn, and then proceeds to strike the subjects right wrist.

12. Lord_Rive

Lord_Rive TFN Fan Films Staff star 4 VIP

Jun 29, 2000
    See, I think I saw a hand -- somebody else's hand -- come in from the hutch on the left.

13. morpheous531

Aug 1, 2002
    LOL the JFK punch

14. swmaster

Apr 16, 2001
    Well im glad you guys enjoyed it! I realize I need to do a little better planning of the shot when I use it in a film. I plan on using a finalized version of this effect in a film of mine. Brings a new spin to jedi verses anyone!

It took three hours to make this. 10 minutes to plan and film the shot, 1 hour to do all the editing and composing, and one hour trying to find sounds and get ae to render. I ended up making up my own sound effects beacause I couldn't find any matrix sounds.

Does anyone know where I can find the time slowdown sound effect?

If you like this effect than just wait for me to put it in a film!

Edit: morpheous531 I actualy cut myself out by hand with a moving mask. I had problems with my differece matte. Im hoping to make a bluescreen or greenscreen and take this effect to the next level.

SWmaster

15. Ryan_W

Ryan_W VIP star 4 VIP

Aug 15, 2001
    Yeah that clip plays extremely screwed up for me, but I did get to see it before it froze QuickTime. As was mentioned before, the direction of the head spin bugged me, but I thought the kick was great. Or rather, at ful speed in the context of a superhuman fight, would be great.

16. KaaShamau

KaaShamau Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 15, 2000
    Oooh :D Very cool!

17. vinman009

vinman009 Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 9, 2002
    i have a greenscreen and i tried al day wht you were doing but i couldnt make contact with myself.

thanks

vince

18. morpheous531

Aug 1, 2002
    I figure it's a matter of timing and having a certain predetermined area to strike. You should be counting in your head while you strike to a certain rythm.

Also in theory, its better to over extend a punch than to underextend it. Atleast you made contact, even though it went through the guys back! :p

19. swmaster

Apr 16, 2001
    LOL

So what your saying is that I should actualy Plan the shot in more than 5 minutes?

Well I guess since the effect mostly worked I will be sure to put it into a film!

Thanks to all who responded!

Edit: You guys would get a laugh out of the two outtakes I had while making this clip. :)
    Lets just say I had some trouble with the spin! [Im not Tumblemonster!}

SWmaster

20. _Vengeance_

_Vengeance_ Jedi Master star 4

Jul 1, 2002
    dude, that's pretty cool, but i think that the guy that got kicked (you) should go slower, and the guy that kicked (you) should go faster... anyways, could u PM me with like a tut on how u do that, cuz its like the coolest thing i've seen for fanfilms (or any other low budget film) yet.

21. Avene

Avene Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 28, 2000
    Quicktime wouldn't play this properly. It just froze and only displayed about 3 frames out of the whole clip. My machine is pretty fast aswell. After further investigation I realised it was the dreaded On2 codec that had been used. So no matter what DaftMaul says about it, I'd now like to officially join the "On2 haters Club". It might work at smaller sizes, but it doesn't seem to work properly at 480 wide or larger.

Anyway, I loaded it into Vegas and saved it out as a DV avi file so I could watch it. And it looks pretty impressive. Nice editing there. Only thing I could spot was the one getting kicked looked a bit too blurry around the edges.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.