Wacken Open Air 2007

Discussion in 'German Speaking FanForce' started by Cobranaconda, Feb 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cobranaconda Force Ghost

star 7
    Hello, German people :p

I'm going to Wacken this year, and just wondered if a) anyone else was going, and b) if there's anything worthwhile doing while I'm up near Hamburg :p

And yes, that means I'll be in Germany at the beginning of August, so, I might even get a chance to meet some of you 2 weeks after CE :p Maybe...

Anyway, any advice would be appreciated, as would locations of fun stuff, decent pubs, and general stuff to do with surviving at festivals :p
  2. Jaina_Mirax Ex CR North-Germany and GSFF RSA

star 6
    Hey,

theres always something to do in Hamburg. The question is what you like.

Since you seem to like heavy metal, I would suggest the headbangers ballroom (http://www.ballroom-hamburg.de/).
    It's located at the "Fischmarkt" next to the river Elbe. It's also close to the "Reeperbahn", the party-area and red-light district.

If you like sports, there will be something also. No football, probably because of the summer break, but maybe baseball, american football or other stuff.

Just let us know what exactly you are interested in.

-Janne
  3. Cobranaconda Force Ghost

star 7
    Um, surprisingly for a metalhead, I enjoy museums and natural parks and stuff. I should probably make it a priority to visit the Black Forest one day, actually :p

Other than natural stuff, and Metal stuff, and drinking, there probably isn't much... though knowing beforehand how much a pint costs would be cool :p
  4. morrison85 Force Ghost

star 5
    Even though it is quite close to me I wont go :p
  5. darth_frared Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    hamburg is well worth seeing... there is planten un blomen... which i liked enormously, the innenalster, a lake in the middle of the city is very nice for a walk, if you enjoy that sort of thing.

i have friend in hamburg, i could ask her for more, if you want. i haven't been there very ofte unfortunately. what you should keep in mind is that museums in germany aren't free, so you better check what you want to see first as you don't want to shell out so and so many euros for something that is only mildly exciting for you.

also, since planten un blomen is probably just one of the places that only offers its features in german: ask if you want anything translated :)
  6. morrison85 Force Ghost

star 5
    You want to go to Hamburg aswell . Thats cool.
  7. Jaina_Mirax Ex CR North-Germany and GSFF RSA

star 6
    well museums... i haven't been there, but they say the "miniatur wunderland" is great.
    http://www.miniatur-wunderland.de/data/cms/en/000/

8. morrison85 Force Ghost

star 5
  9. Cobranaconda Force Ghost

star 7
    The Planten un Blomen looks, pretty cool, and the Miniatur Wunderland looks hilarious :p Thanks for the tips, pretty cool stuff by the looks of it.

morrison, Dungeon? That sounds very cool :p
  10. DunedinJedi Jedi Master

star 3
  11. Jaina_Mirax Ex CR North-Germany and GSFF RSA

star 6
    there's also the Art Museum (Kunsthalle)... the Museum für Hamburger Geschichte (History of hamburg), the Zoll-Museum (Customs-Museum).THere they show stuff that has been smuggled and how crative some people are to smuggle stuff.

Other museums:
    Spice-Museum
    Erotic-Art Museum
    Helms-Museum (local archeology)
    Altonaer Museum (also local and regional history)
    Museum für Kunst und Gewerbe
    Museum der Arbeit
    Bucerius Kunst-Forum
    Panoptikum (Like Madame Tussaud's)
    Telekommunication-Museum
    and probably some more
  12. darth_frared Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    a friend just mentioned Landungsbruecken, which is around the port, i'll have to inquire more to properly tell you :)
  13. morrison85 Force Ghost

star 5
    Oh yea klandungsbrücken are very nice.. .D
  14. Chilla Force Ghost

star 4
    I'd love to meet you since my oldest brother lives in Hamburg, but I'm afriad I'll be in the USA in August. :(

Part of my family has been to the Miniatur Wunderland once and it seems to be pretty cool. :)

Hm...what else is cool about Hamburg? Oh yes, they play music over the speakers in the main train station. (Hauptbahnhof) :p
  15. DunedinJedi Jedi Master

star 3
    to keep the drug addicts in mood
  16. Jaina_Mirax Ex CR North-Germany and GSFF RSA

star 6
    jup, because they like classical music so much ;)
  17. RMcquarrie_Idolizer Jedi Padawan

Gutentag sir,

I am going to Wacken from California.

Will spend Monday through Wednesday in Hamburg - take train to festival Wednesday night.

Hamburg is quite a cool town. Excellent seafood and bar scene and not overrun with tourists.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.