main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Wacom Tablets?

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by Mithrawnurodo, May 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mithrawnurodo

Mithrawnurodo Jedi Master star 2

Sep 27, 2005
    I have been working on the post-production for my film and I am having to do a lot of rotosplining to compensate for my poor green screens and I have heard that a Wacom tablet makes this easier then using a mouse. Can someone please tell me if it is worth spending 50.00 on ebay for one? Will it speed up my rotosplining considerably?
    Thanks for any help. :) :)

2. primetime62

primetime62 Jedi Master star 3

Dec 20, 2005
    From everything I've heard it helps tremendously. As for what to look for, I have no clue, but it's probably something I should be looking into as well. I'd be sure to ask Nate if I were you.

3. Mithrawnurodo

Sep 27, 2005
    Nate who??

4. Vidina

Vidina Jedi Master star 4

Jan 11, 2006
    depends on the tablet really. If it's a wacom volito 2, then $50 is worth it.

5. primetime62

Dec 20, 2005
  6. Mithrawnurodo

Sep 27, 2005
    This is the one I am looking at http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-WACOM-Graphire3-4X5-4-X-5-Blue-Tablet-Full-Warranty_W0QQitemZ9730390676QQcategoryZ3680QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
    Is it any good?

7. DMPjedi

DMPjedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 26, 2003
    Yes yes, I am a Wacom nut. I was at the Wacom booth everyday while I was at NAB :p The 4x5 Graphire 3 is the exact same tablet that I started with, and it's fantastic for just getting started. The main decision making factore when buying a tablet is what size strokes you use. If you have smaller strokes, and don't like to move your whole arm around, at 4x5 or 6x8 is great. A 4x5 may look small, but you don't have to move your hand/arm around too much. Moving up to a 6x8 (or 6x11 in my case, as I use it on widescreen and dual screen displays mostly) gives you a little more room to breath, and is a little more precise.

Then there's the Graphire vs Intuos discussion. Intuos' are outright better, but they are more expensive. Mine is $380ish and I got it at a student discount (Campustech.com) for $310. It really depends on what type of work you'll be doing. If you're looking into doing a lot of painting or more Photoshop work, Intuos3 tablets are much more suited. Adding on tilt sensativity, as well as 512 more levels of pressure sensativity (Graphire-512, Intuos-1,024), and with the purchase of a 6D art pen and Photoshop CS2 or Painter IX, rotation sensativity :D But that's more into the artistic stuff.

For upping your productivity in rotoing, a Graphire3 4x5 is perfect for your first tablet. You can always upgrade later...and maybe even to one of these:

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v608/dmpjedi/NAB2006/nab_web_010.jpg][image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v608/dmpjedi/NAB2006/nab_web_016.jpg]

:p

8. Mithrawnurodo

Sep 27, 2005
    Okay thanks, I'll buy it right away. It will go well with my new 1.67 gig, 1.5 gig RAM, 15 inch G4 PowerBook. :) :)

9. Penitio

Penitio Jedi Master star 3

May 11, 2002
    That exact model is the one I have. It helps with everything. I rotoscope badly... it cut the time some and made it neater. Yes, I love my tablet.

I have no compliants about it. Very good starter as someone said.

It does help, though it may take a few days before you are use to using it.

10. DMPjedi

Mar 26, 2003
    Yeah it does take some getting used to. A week or two of intense work and you won't want to put it down. I don't know if it's a downside or not, but your skills with a mouse might actually be hindered as a result...but working with a pen is such a more natural way to work :D

11. odj_310388

odj_310388 Jedi Knight star 5

May 30, 2002
    Dont expect to get used to your tablet right away, I got one at the end of April (mostly for artwork) and it takes alot of getting used to.

12. DMPjedi

Mar 26, 2003
    Yeah, but seeing as we're all in filmmaking/graphics/VFX here, we all should be the type that are willing to learn, right? ;)

13. primetime62

Dec 20, 2005
    Hey Nate just looking at this, you think this I should think about getting for my roto work? Or would I need something a bit more expensive to really help me out.

14. DMPjedi

Mar 26, 2003
    If you really want to, I'd say go for it. You don't really need something more expensive. I upgraded mine more out of want than need, and I just felt I was ready to upgrade. I've thought about downsizing to a 6x8 a couple times actually. For roto work, any tablet works just fine, and any tablet will speed up your work compared to a mouse. Size really just controls how precise you'll be. Like, moving a quarter inch on a 4x5 will move your curser further than it will moving a quarter inch on say...this guy:

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v608/dmpjedi/NAB2006/nab_web_020.jpg] :p

But it's also your personal preference of how much you want to move your hand/arm around.

If you want to see the difference between the Garphire and Intuos tablets, here's some linkies...
    Wacom Graphire4 Tablets
    Wacom Intuos3 Tablets

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=9731829005&ssPageName=MERC_VIC_ReBay_Pr4_PcY_BIN_IT

There's a nice deal on a 6x8 Graphire3, compared to brand new Graphire4's. I think all they added between the 3 and 4 is a grip pen. But you can throw on a standard pencil grip if you want. That's what I did back before I got my Intuos.

15. primetime62

Dec 20, 2005
    I'm thinking I'm going to go for the smaller one. I don't have too much extra cash floating around right now. The fact that its $50 is exremely attractive. I was planning on getting one way down the road, but at this price I don't think I can turn it down. Thank's for the help Nate. Hopefully this'll speed up the process.

16. MKane

MKane Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 11, 2003
    I have the Wac om Graphire, best thing for photoshop. Being touch sesitive, and more nautural feel for freehand artists It does take some getting used to, but for 50.00, I say go for it. Take the week to get used to it, and its a good investment.

17. primetime62

Dec 20, 2005
    Well I just purchased a Graphire3 4x5. Can't wait for it to get here. Should help me a lot with my massive rotoscoping work.

18. Martin-S

Martin-S Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 9, 2005
    I'm using a Graphire 3 9x12 and so far it has served me well. In Photoshop it speeds up the work considerably and much more precise working is possible. You definetely have to get used to look at the monitor while using the pen on the tablet. In AE it isn't of much use for me as I'm faster at rotoscoping and navigating with a mouse.

19. Mithrawnurodo

Sep 27, 2005
    Ditto. :D What is your roto work? Poor green screens like mine or just sabers?

By the way, thanks a lot for the help DMP, I really appreciate it. :)

20. primetime62

Dec 20, 2005
    Well I'll probably use it for green screens too in the future. But for now I'm going to use it to roto around people for MS3. Can't say much though.

21. Kij421

Kij421 Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 18, 2005
    I have a Wacom *holds thumbs and forefingers at 90 deg angles, and connect thumbs, pointing fingers away from self.* When I told one of my professors I had a Wacom, she asked if I had a Wacom *does the same hand gesture* or a Wacom *moves hands apart about 4 inches*. I enjoyed that conversation.

Anyway, I have one, but my girlfriend stole it from me. I kinda want it back...

22. DMPjedi

Mar 26, 2003
    That kind of thing would give me motivation to kill. Women have to understand that computers and Wacom products come first[face_not_talking]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.