main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Wahey! Has Mitty Been Impersonating a Grand Admiral this Whole Time!?!

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Genghis12, Feb 3, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Elite_Guard

Elite_Guard Jedi Master star 2

Oct 7, 2001
    the scene in TIE Fighter is proof of thrawns grand admiraldom

2. Kier_Nimmion

Kier_Nimmion Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 9, 2000

And in the distance the mighty Genghis goes "D'oh!".

3. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    Wedge...
    "Dude, why? Why does it matter if he was a Grand Admiral or not?"

That's what I'm wondering. Evidently, if you go by official sources and suggest what Zahn told us that he may not have been a Grand Admiral, it means that you're a dirty Zahn hater? ?!?

"Everyone who lived in the GFFA during TTT knows him by the title Grand Admiral."

Not true. Prior to the TTT that may have been correct. However, at the time of TTT, those in the Empire (the real Palpatine Empire) knew of Thrawn as a former star whom Palaptine was dissatisfied with. That is, they saw him as someone not even worthy of Palpatine's favor, much less a Grand Admiral of their forces. At the time of TTT, Thrawn was a Grand Admiral in name only, commander of expendable forces which Palaptine and the Empire barely cared about.

"iWe the readers know him by that title. Why would Zahn, or any other writter that makes use of him in any way, want Thrawn to appear to be a Grand Admiral to everyone but you, and people who are as clever as you, according to your theory?"

Don't know. One could also ask if Zahn wanted Thrawn to clearly be a Grand Admiral, why didn't he simply come out and state it instead of doing so in a rather round-about way which stated he was worthy of wearing the uniform? I have no idea, nor am I going to attempt to fathom the thought processes of Tim Zahn or others.

Basically, I think Maverick's point is the most correct...
    Thrawn was most likely granted Grand Admiral status as an honorary title for a time based on his brilliant successes. Then after Palpatine saw how he conducted himself in this honorary capacity, he promoted him to a true Grand Admiral as seen in TIE Fighter, only to have him fall out of favor sometime between ROTJ and Dark Empire as seen in the Dark Empire Sourcebook.

4. Jag_Fel

Jag_Fel Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 8, 2002
    God, who the heck cares? Isn't it enough that Thrawn was the ost proficient tactical genius ever? Who cares what his "official" title was. The fact is he deserved the title Grand Admiral and that is how I will remember him.

5. Genghis12

Nov 18, 1999
    MT...
    "The scene in TIE Fighter is pretty hard to ignore."

I know. I recognize that it took a much later work to ret-con in the fact that Thrawn was indeed a Grand Admiral. I don't dispute it, but TIE Fighter also supports the claim that Thrawn may have had some special-status higher than Admiral at the time due to the white Grand Admiral-looking uniform he was already wearing. TIE FIghter does not dispute he may have been "impersonating" a Grand Admiral prior to becoming one.

So, I think the answer to the question posed is that "He wasn't impersonating one the whole time."

6. chissdude10

chissdude10 Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 26, 2001
    Genghis, with all do respect He was granted a Grand Admiral. Just becuase you hate Zahn does not mean you should take it out on Thrawn.

7. Genghis12

Nov 18, 1999
    See page 1 Chissdude. [face_plain]

8. ReaperFett

ReaperFett Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 9, 1999
    I am promotingg you to Grand ADmiral

Chissdude promoted him? :)

j/k :)

Sorry, but it really is pathetic that if Genghis says ANYTHING against ANYTHING in the Zahn novels, you blame it on his dislike of Zahn. For those who that concerns, ARGUE PROPERLY!

9. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999
    But it's true. ;)

10. Genghis12

Nov 18, 1999
    MT...
    :p

For the record, I titled this thread "Wahey! Has Mitty Been Impersonating a Grand Admiral this Whole Time!?!" with proper exclamation for a reason.

I did not title the thread "Wahey! Mitty HAS Been Impersonating a Grand Admiral this Whole Time!?!" It is not a theory.

I was just as surprised as everyone that Zahn didn't state Thrawn was a Grand Admiral, but merely stated he won the right to wear the uniform

While it's all good and TIE FIghter aside, it doesn't change the fact that TTT - for whatever reason - doesn't have Thrawn necessarily being a Grand Admiral.

I suppose it is exactly the same situation of Shira Brie. She was an Emperor's Hand in everything but name only. It too took a much, much later source to make the implied truth a hard reality. Same with Thrawn - he was suggested as having only the right to wear the uniform not necessarily a rank. It took the later TIE Fighter to make the rank true as well.

All rather interesting, IMO.

11. Matthew Trias

Sep 8, 1999
    Aye,Imperator!Let's bash those Thrawners upside their pointy eared blue heads!

;) :p

12. Wedge 88

Wedge 88 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 1999
    All rather stupid, IMO. :D

13. Genghis12

Nov 18, 1999
    I actually think what this whole exercise has proven is the relevence of the EU things people normally consider to be "fringe" or marginal" like the games.

After all, it seems that without TIE Fighter, no one could prove that Thrawn - probably one of the most beloved EU characters around - actually was a Grand Admiral.

I think it shows just how important things like Dark Forces, Jedi Knight, Rogue Squadron, etc. are in the scheme of things in the EU.

The devil is in the details, and a lot of times the "marginal" things carry the required details to make everything else work.

14. Matthew Trias

Sep 8, 1999
    "All rather stupid, IMO. "

There's a Thrawner! Quickly Genghis take my pitchfork! You poke him to death while I fry the brigand with my torch!

15. chissdude10

Jul 26, 2001
    Ohhhh...Sorry Genghis, should have read page 1, guess that usually helps...

16. Genghis12

Nov 18, 1999
    Wedge 88...
    Agreed Wedge. It seems that you actually can't discuss things anymore without having people attribute all sorts of crazy motives to the post and posters. ?[face_plain] Hey, Genghis showed Zahn stating that Thrawn only has the right to wear a Grand Admiral uniform - that must mean Genghis hates Zahn. [face_plain] At least be logical!

And I get accused of talking about Zahn too much? Heck I don't talk about Zahn and they drag me into it!?!

Sheesh people, not everything's about Zahn.

17. chissdude10

Jul 26, 2001
    Yeah, I agree, Zahns an idiot anyway, everyone knows MARVEL came up with Thrawn.

18. Genghis12

Nov 18, 1999
    MT...
    LOL!

Chissdude...
    There may be hope for you yet, 'dude. :D

19. chissdude10

Jul 26, 2001
    Oh by the way Genghis, is'nt that little VIP stint over yet?

20. Genghis12

Nov 18, 1999
  21. chissdude10

Jul 26, 2001
    Has it not been one week?

22. Matthew Trias

Sep 8, 1999
    Interesting enough,the merriam webster dictionary says that Sunday is the first day of the week. :p

But I would guess chissdude,that they're going to take his colors by Monday. :p

23. Genghis12

Nov 18, 1999
    Technically the time hasn't elapsed.

A week has not yet expired. They barely made going into effect Saturday night. The notification was Sunday morning. It has not yet been a full seven calendar days - saturday is not over.

That's assuming Epic or anyone for that matter is on time. I'm with Matt - it could be anywhere from tonight to monday before they're gone. Or, I suppose I can change them back myself too. :D

24. JadedofMara

JadedofMara Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 16, 2001
    Just to drive the final nail in the coffin...

(J/K! :D )

After helping dispose of the traitorous Grand Admiral Zaarin, Thrawn ascended to that rank himself.

Thats from the official site. Gotta love that new Villans of the Eu thing!

Although, now we could just argue that Thrawn was impersonating a Grand Admiral so well, he even fooled the people at LFL!! :D

That is really interesting, tho, Ghengis. Good careful reading, I've probably read the book 50 times and I've never actually picked up on that...

25. GUARDSMAN

GUARDSMAN Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 16, 2001
    Well I think that both sides of the argument you guys have been having is, in a way, right. Thrawn did before his promotion to Grand Admiral wear a Grand Admirals uniform and had been given the title of warlord. But the fact is that Thrawn was a Grand Admiral after the promotion scene in Tie Fighter. Before that promotion he was merely given the right to where the uniform and had the title of warlord.

So basically Genghis you were not completely wrong just semi-wrong, which I think even you can admit to.

There is also 1 other source you guys forgot about and that source is the Essential Chronology which was mostly done by Kevin J. Anderson. That source also lists other Grand Admirals for those of you that would like to know about them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.