main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Wahey!!! I have got REBIRTH...and it's so dissapointing...

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Simone, Aug 26, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Simone

Simone Jedi Youngling star 4

Jun 17, 2001
    Well I guess that my wait for a Luke and Mara book will have to wait for another day.
    I like the scenes with wedge and some with Corran and love the scenes with Han,Leia and Jacen.
    But there is hardly any Luke and Mara scenes. Why even have them on the cover. It is so dissapointing to see how Del Rey or rather the New Jedi Order is treating Luke.

Well I am only at page 199. But when I sort of flick through trying my best not to read anything important, to see if there is any Luke or Mara, and the next time I get to read anout them is one page 259 or so.

2. ReaperFett

ReaperFett Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 9, 1999
    I thought too much happened in such a small book, and I disliked how Wedge was wrote. Otherwise, a very good book. Joint second best with Vector Prime for me, behind Jedi Eclipse

3. ganner_rhysode

ganner_rhysode Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 7, 2001
    Maybe it wasn't as good as it could have been but I really enjoyed it. Corran's one liner's were ace. What got me was how there was very little reaction to the "big event" and no mention of Leia and Han even being aware it had happened. Leia and Han's interaction was superb though and even Jacen didn't grate on me as much as usual.

4. Wedge 88

Wedge 88 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 1999
    I'm not a Luke/Mara fan. Nor a Wedge fan for that matter. I'm a Star Wars fan. And I think Rebirth was a pretty dern good Star Wars novel. I liked most of the plots and my favorite part was one of the last Luke/Mara scenes at the end.

5. Dev Sibwarra

Dev Sibwarra Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 4, 1999
    Well said, Wedge. There are just too many new characters these days for everyone's favorite to get much 'screen time'.

6. ganner_rhysode

ganner_rhysode Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 7, 2001
    Yeah, and what new characters they bring in that have some depth or interest to them leave as soon as they enter the fray, examples Ganner, Jagged Fel, Droma.

Now I know that these characters may not be popular with some/many people but I liked them and to me it's seems ludicrous to build them and then let them fade into obscurity.

7. Bror Jace

Bror Jace Jedi Master star 3

Oct 30, 1999
    I'm speed-reading the book in a bookstore because I refuse to buy these pieces of garbage anymore. I'm currently on page 230.

Rebirth reads like Cliff Notes ... with dialogue. They are obviously gearing these books at younger readers with short attention spans. That's why the page counts are so much lower ... oh, and shorter books can be made quicker and more cheaply.

Gone is the grand, epic sense of the earlier books. :(

8. Dev Sibwarra

Jun 4, 1999
    Reportedly, the word count stayed about the same, Bror. The page count is lower because Del Rey doesn't want to buy more paper. However, you can still accuse them of being cheap.

Maybe if authors just start killing characters off at a rate of three or four a book, they won't have to worry about including as many people. :)

9. Simone

Simone Jedi Youngling star 4

Jun 17, 2001
    Oh cool, I just finished and the ending was really REALLY GOOD!!, I loved the Borsk and Luke interaction. The birth of Ben and Anakin's reaction was so nice to read and it had me laughing out loud.

Dispite of what I said earlier I really do have to change my mind this was a kick-ass book. Why is it that always judge a book half-way through it.

10. DVader316

DVader316 Jedi Knight star 7

Feb 18, 2000
    I thought Rebirth was pretty good, anddefinetely one of the better novels so far in the NJO. Although I, too, felt that too much was squeezed into such a small space. Ultimately, though, VP is still the best book in the NJO so far, in my opinion.

11. GirlJedi

GirlJedi Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 10, 2000
    I liked Rebirth, but I think Conquest was a better book. why have Mara with a big gun on the cover, she doesn't pick up a gun at all... Wanted more details in the L&M stuff, such as Mara's pregnancy complications, well what specifically? But that's just my prefs. And I was happy about the baby name by the end.

12. Darth Pikachuwbacca

Darth Pikachuwbacca Jedi Master star 4

Jan 22, 2000
    I thought Rebirth was ok, but it is my second least favourite behind Balance Point. Conquest was my absolute favourite SW book I've read so far. Part of that was Tahiri. I don't know what they plan to do with her, as long as they do SOMETHING!

I don't want Tahiri to turn into a non-existant character like Droma, Ganner, Danni, Lando, and even Jagged Fel. (How many books ago were some of these characters even mentioned?!)

I give bonus points to Keyes for getting everyone (with the exception of those listed) into the story, even if only breifly. And heck, he got Lando in there too, which is ok in my book... (Or is it his book?)

13. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    I thought it was a good book; not great, but good. Corran had some good lines, as did Anakin.

My biggest beef with the book was that virtually none of the multiple storylines were connected to each other; Leia, Han and Jacen are off doing their thing; Luke and Mara are on the run from the New Republic; Jaina goes off to find Kyp; Corran, Anakin and Tahiri go exploring. The only time when the stories came together was at the very end, and that was brief.

14. GirlJedi

GirlJedi Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 10, 2000
    I loved the Lando scene, it was great that Keyes got him in there and caught up on things with Han.

yes I hope the same thing for Tahiri, and if rumors are true about a certain character in SBS, well...

And Droma lasted into BP.

15. Dewlanna Solo

Dewlanna Solo Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 31, 1999
    Dev said:Reportedly, the word count stayed about the same, Bror. The page count is lower because Del Rey doesn't want to buy more paper..

Someone is lying to you Dev. At least as far as the hard covers are concerned. When I read Cloak of Deception, I noticed the line spacing was wider than the non SW book I had just finished. I thought at first it was just my imagination (it wasn't) and then I thought that maybe all SW HC were like that (most of my SW reading has been paperbacks). So I hauled out my copy of VotF, and a ruler and checked things out.
    The type was the same size. The pages were the same size.
    But VotF had more lines per page. The lines in VotF were spaced closer together than the lines on the pages of CoD. Furthermore, the outside margins in CoD were wider than the outside margins in VotF further reducing the amount of words on each page.
    I looked at BP and found it to be similar to CoD.
    So fewer lines per page, shorter lines per page, has to mean fewer words per page. Add this to fewer pages per book, and what do you get?
    Fewer words per book.......unless the words in the NJO books are themselves shorter than the words in VotF.
    This could very well be the case. Several thousand one and two syllable words certainly would use less paper than the same number of three and four syllable words.

16. Anakin SkySolo

Anakin SkySolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 1999
    In publishing, a "word" is five or six characters (I can't recall which). Thus, a book with 100,000 words has 500,000 or 600,000 characters. So the average lengths of words used by the author is not particularly relevant.

17. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    Bror Jace...
    "Rebirth reads like Cliff Notes ... with dialogue. They are obviously gearing these books at younger readers with short attention spans."

An example of someone repeating a lie to himself so many times that he actually begins to believe it. :D

Dewlanna, one can't use HoT to gauge anything. It is a special case as Zahn was supposed to write a normal-length novel, yet ended up blathering on ad nauseum about his own vanity items. Essentially, HoT is a single novel which ballooned into a "pseudo-trilogy" and was crammed into a duology. It is not comparable to other SW novels.

Now, it seems we're reduced to counting words to determine the quality of stories!?! **ROLLS EYES**

18. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    Another problem I found with Rebirth is that no one important dies in it; in every NJO book that came out before it, someone in the book died that had appeared in a previous book:

Vector Prime: Chewbacca
    Onslaught: Bolpuhr
    Ruin: Elegos A'Kla, Krag Val, Shedao Shai
    Hero's Trial: Dr. Yintal
    Jedi Eclipse: Wurth Skidder
    Balance Point: Randa The Hutt
    Conquest: Ikrit

19. Wedge 88

Wedge 88 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 1999
    Simone- one thing:

Told ya so. ;)

20. Dev Sibwarra

Jun 4, 1999
    Dewlanna- J.G. Keyes said in a chat or interview that Conquest was 90,000 words, while Rebirth was 120,000. It's possible that a large percentage of the text was lost in editing, but I doubt it. 120k words would mean that it isn't as long as Zahn's books, but still longer than some of Bantam's stories. Rogue Squadron came in at about 90k. However, I will admit that Del Rey's books have generally been shorter. A 400+ page novel would be nice every once in a while.

21. wampa

wampa Jedi Master star 4

Jul 8, 1998
    Bib, actually these characters died:
    Keblis Nu (Jedi Knight)
    Rogue Squadron: 3, 4, 8, & 10
    Shok Choka (Vong warrior)
    Qua Lah (Vong warrior)

I can understand if you don't think they are that important though. They definitely didn't have the same impact that Elegos's or Ikrit's death did.

22. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    Yeah, but those characters were just introduced in this novel, with no ties to previous ones. That was the point of my earlier post.

23. Bror Jace

Bror Jace Jedi Master star 3

Oct 30, 1999
    Genghis:"An example of someone repeating a lie to himself so many times that he actually begins to believe it."

Only in your own twisted world ... far distant from this one, can an opinion (which is OBVIOUSLY what I stated above) be labeled a "lie".

I guess flaming comments like that show everyone else how truly desperate you are ... as if they needed additional examples.

I finished reading the book last night and it was so shallow, so fake, so completely two-dimensional in comparison to what came before, I was nauseated.

24. ReaperFett

ReaperFett Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 9, 1999
    hey Bror, do you know what a smiley after a comment means? May make you look less silly

25. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    :D Good to see some things never change Bror. Your morbid NJO "ambulance chasing" backfired since this thread's creator retracted her former negative comments. You must have been sooo disappointed to have to move on to other threads to find some new converts. But, then you're probably going to be looking for a long time. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.