main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Wait a second, are you telling me there are people who LIKED "The Courtship of Princess Leia"?

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by Drew_Atreides, Jul 24, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drew_Atreides

Drew_Atreides Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 30, 2002
    ...That is THE book that made me say "You know what? The EU stinks.. I quit!" (of course, "Darksaber", "Children of the Jedi" and anything Kevin J Anderson related had had me considering letting go of the Star Wars books for a while, but COPL was the icing on the cake)

Has there ever been an author who has mishandled key characters MORE then the hack (who, going Vong, is not worth mentioning, as he should be one of the Shamed Ones) then the guy who wrote COPL?

Leia: Is prepared to MARRY a hunky, sexy Prince.. And Han is still ALIVE! What?

Han: STUNS Leia and kidnaps her! WHAT???

What a joke.. I stopped purchasing Star Wars books for a good 3-4 years, after that..

Recently, i FINALLY caved in and picked up Vector Prime (i owed it to Chewie).. After that one, just for the heck of it, i picked up the Dark Tide-duology.. And kinda liked it.. So i picked up the "Agents of Chaos" duology, and REALLY liked that.. And so i picked up "Balance Point" (Despite the involvement of Kathy "Truce at Bakura really stank" Tyers), and was surprised as all get out when i enjoyed THAT..

I'm currently on the second book of "The Edge of Victory" duology, and have got "Star By Star" and "Dark Journey" on the burner...I'm hoping to make it thru those two, and then thru the two Allston books by the end of July, in time for "Traitor"..

It's safe to say that i'm back into reading Star Wars, hardcore..

As i was perusing the boards, i found a thread where people were listing their least favourite EU novels.. I barely even glimpsed a mention of COPL, and so i just had to make this post to confirm my fears...

How could ANYONE care for that book?

I'm kinda new here, so be kind to me if this is a topic that has been beaten to death...

Thank you :)

2. DVader316

DVader316 Jedi Knight star 7

Feb 18, 2000
    I remember it being pretty good, even if it has been in a while since Ive read it.

3. Fire_Light

Fire_Light Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 24, 2002
    Yeah, it wasn't too bad, had some nice action to balance the romance aspects.

4. Elori

Elori Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 18, 2002
    Yeah I liked that book, I thought it was cute. I also really liked Truce at Bakura :)

5. Dark_Jedi_Kam

Dark_Jedi_Kam Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 12, 2002
    CoPL was the fist book i read. it wasn't bad. CotJ and PoT are BAD. That woman (I won't mention her name) should never write SW again!
    I think Kathy Tyers redemed herself with Balance Point. I'm reading it right now and I love it. which surprised me because of TAB

6. Jedi15

Jedi15 Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 7, 1999
    COPL is one of my favorite EU novels (one of the few I actually enjoy).

7. Sith_Angel

Sith_Angel Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 4, 2002
    I really liked the COPL! it was one of the first star wars novels i read! :)

8. flying_fishi

flying_fishi Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 26, 2002
    I liked it [face_plain]

9. Jedi_Ben_Skywalker

Jedi_Ben_Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 19, 2002
    It was pretty good.....

10. ReaperFett

ReaperFett Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 9, 1999
    I like a lot

11. steelcat

steelcat Jedi Youngling

Jul 23, 2002
    It was the first one I read, I didn't mind it. But some parts of it weren't too great. ;)

12. MoronDude

MoronDude Jedi Knight star 6

Nov 1, 2000
    I loved it! In fact it is my favorite non-NJO, non-Movie Star Wars novel!!

I mean C3PO singing "Han Solo, What a man, Solo..." has gotta be the funniest thing I've ever read in my life!

13. TorynFarr

TorynFarr Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 27, 2000
    i thought it was horrible. completely out of character.

14. Guinastasia

Guinastasia Force Ghost star 6

Jun 9, 2002
    I liked it. The only problem I had was that Wolverton made a mistake and wrote "earthquake" instead of "groundquake".

But I really enjoyed it. Hmmm, maybe I'll reread that one next.

I loved finding out where rancors come from-and that you can train them and they're actually quite docile beasts.

15. jacesolo1138

jacesolo1138 Jedi Master star 3

Jan 27, 2002
    I loved it and 3PO singing was great.

16. The_Hooded_One

The_Hooded_One Jedi Padawan star 4

May 29, 2002
    Iliked it. It was funney but interesting.

17. ReaperFett

ReaperFett Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 9, 1999
    AH yes, the singing :)

18. Tara

Tara Jedi Youngling star 3

May 4, 2002
    It was horrible. Way out of character for both Han and Leia. *shudders* I still have nightmares even after trying to block it from my memory.

19. Rogue_Starbuck

Rogue_Starbuck Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 29, 2000
    Had a few funny parts, but overall I didn't like it that much. :)

R.

20. lexu

lexu Force Ghost star 6

May 28, 2002
    I liked how he did Threepio. When they're in the bar and Han's drunk... Awe, man, that was classic... The whole Force-witch thing was a good idea. I mean, you have to figure something like that would have happened a few times along the way.

All and all, it wasn't my favorite EU novel, but I was good.

21. jacensky315

jacensky315 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 29, 2002
    Oh cmon the book was awesome. Not teh best sw movie, but entertaining.

22. Dark_Jedi_Kam

Dark_Jedi_Kam Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 12, 2002
    The best part was when Luke met the old witch. "how's Yoda, that old flirt."

23. Inari_Icewalker

Inari_Icewalker Jedi Youngling star 2

May 23, 2001
    I also liked CoPL. My reason for reading it was to get more background about the Night Sisters (after seeing them in the Dark Horse comics, particularly the Darth Maul series).

Reading it led me to wonder of Gethzerion could have been a potential rival to Palpatine, since he worked very hard to make sure she could not leave the planet.

Thoughts on that, anyone?

24. crystal417

crystal417 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 20, 2000
    I conducted a poll on this topic a while back and posted the results on it.

Out of 104 votes
    Good- 64%(67 votes)
    Bad-25% (24 votes)
    Undcided-10% (11 votes)

It was the first Star Wars book I read and the first one I bought. It was okay. It was WAY out of character for Han and Leia but the point that it made made me happy.

~Crystal~

25. Drew_Atreides

Drew_Atreides Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 30, 2002
    ...wow.. Wild.. I guess it all just depends on what floats your boat in the Star Wars universe..

For me, i got upset with the EU when author upon author had key-characters doing/saying things that, not in a MILLION years, would the characters that *I* saw in the movies EVER do/say/do... (or in the case of "Children of the Jedi", writing a story which i STILL ain't sure exactly what the heck happened...)

I guess characterization and character consistency, for me, are the major requirements, if i'm going to enjoy a book/movie..So long as the authors stay true to the characters, then i'll most likely enjoy the book..

Maybe the reason i'm enjoying the NJO so much is because the focus has shifted to characters who were not entirely previously defined.. (The Solo kids.. Kyp.. People like Wurth Skidder (incidentally, does anyone know where Wurth was introduced? I really dug that guy...), Ganner Rhysode and Corran Horn)

I have to admit, it's surprising how many people recognized the bad characterization, yet still enjoyed the book due to the action.. See, for me, i can't even REMEMBER the action... The one thing thst sticks out in my mind is "ARGH! Han would NEVER do that!!" ;)

Thanks for the responses, all (and thanks for pointing out that poll!)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.