main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Wait a second, are you telling me there are people who LIKED "The Courtship of Princess Leia"?

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by Drew_Atreides, Jul 24, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    The scene near the end with him flying the Falcon was neat.

Favorite. Scene. Ever.

2. Kyp_side_of_TheForce

Kyp_side_of_TheForce Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 27, 2002
    I didn't mind Courtship of Princess Leia... it was weird, in a bad way, but not horrible. I liked the witches of Dathomir... and Han winning the planet :)

3. Niralle

Niralle Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 28, 2001
    It had its moments. There were a lot of things in it that just didn't feel like Star Wars, but I liked most of Han's involvement, (the conning, smuggler act was just funny), and Luke, (my favorite), actually kicked some butt. He was way too serious and even TOO powerful at times, but it was something different. Even the idea of a matriachy society was a LOT of fun. Believe me on that one. :)

My biggest complaint with the book was Leia. She was the title of the book, for Pete's sake! She was way too insensitve and even the idea that she would choose someone besides Han is a contradiction to the movies, IMO. But, rather than that, I like it okay.

4. jedi_master_ikrit

jedi_master_ikrit Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 2, 2002
    I remember reading it several years ago, and not liking some of the stuff others have said (characterization, etc). I wish someone had treated Han and Leia's marriage better. What I did like, though, were the Hapans and Dathomir, as well as Warlord Zsinj, although we only saw his fate. I liked the X-wing books about him better though. All in all, it wasn't that good a book, and should have been done better. It's better than some other books though (CotJ, Darksaber, PoT, TCS, etc).

5. Infiltrator

Infiltrator Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 4, 2002
    i liked it, i liked most SW books

it could have been much better, but i liked it

6. Drew_Atreides

Drew_Atreides Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 30, 2002
    ..hehe, always nice to see this thread come back around...

COPL really stank..

My opinion has not changed.

7. Apophis

Apophis Jedi Padawan star 4

May 26, 2002
    It liked it a lot!!!
    It's one of the only books where I laughed out loud! And not because it was bad. But it had some funny things in it, like the conversation between Han en Zinsj and then Han says : "Kiss my Wookiee!"
    LOL! :p

8. Leela

Leela Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 17, 2001
    The only good thing about COPL was the Drew Struzan cover. The rest of it was unparalleled garbage. Talk about a HUGE GaryStu! Isolder/Fabio/Wolverton. *sigh* And don't think I missed the Isolder/Isildur name similarity either! PFT!

And I am so glad someone else couldn't follow the story in CotJ! I still haven't figured that one out... :p

9. VuaRapuungRules

VuaRapuungRules Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 17, 2002
    Courtship was one of the biggest pains yet...

WAY too mushy for me, Leia ain't mushy! And Isolder....well...Han should've just clubbered him and be done with 'im, no matter the handsome prick can kickbox, he'll be too busy caring for his looks. Didn't like the idea of rancors being used for transport either...I mean, when you saw the damn thing in the movie, did you get the feeling that that killing machine could BE afraid, or reasoned with in any way for that matter? There were some weird things happening too, I mean, our heroes slipped right past Gethzerion, she didn't notice a thing. Whoa, what did I miss, someone as Force-sensitive as that old shabby missing the agitation Teneniel and co. were radiating...when did that become possible? The witches were nice though, much too powerful, but OK.

Overall....ah big 'naaaah' to COPL...

10. Sock_of_Darth_Vader

Sock_of_Darth_Vader Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 24, 2002
    I thought I would revive this to say:
    All these people liked the Book that Must Not Be Named!!
    *Cat faints, picks self off floor to say*

That was the most horrendous waste of paper and ink I ever have had the misfortune to come across. And to ask money for it...
    It made KJA look like a good writer. It was that bad.
    and why does everyone slag Hambly's books?
    Technically, she's an excellent writer, although Callista was a pain in the backside. Why oh why can't somebody write luke a decent woman...

11. A-WingsRule

A-WingsRule Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 9, 2002
    I've just read it, and it was average. I enjoyed it, but it isn't up to the standard of either it's (chronological) predeccesors (X-Wing) or it's followers (Thrawn Trilogy).

I used to wonder why Allston decided to tell us about the hunt for Zsinj, instead of creating a new bad-guy. And now I know.

Zsinj has two lines throughout the entire book.

I preffered it over TaB, but it's not my favourite.

12. jhc36

jhc36 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 19, 2003
    OK, wow. i'm really surprised by the amount of people who enjoyed 'courtship'. i (like the author of this post) was an avid EU reader. i started with zahn triology and never stopped reading 'em. until i got to 'courtship' that was probably one of the worst books i've ever read. i believe truce at bakura and courtship are the worst books out in the EU...( i also did not care for balance point) but this feb. i gave in to the NJO, and haven't been able to put them down, and as of right now i am waiting for FHII. so i owe it to the NJO to get me back into reading the EU.

13. Kirana

Kirana Jedi Master star 2

Nov 13, 1999
    Oh, ick. I really, really didn't like CoPL. I liked the concept, but the way Wolverton played it out frustrated me.

In theory, it sounds great: the threat of a political marriage causes Han to sweep Leia off her feet in an attempt to win her back. Hijinks ensue.

I liked the concept of the Nightsisters. I liked the idea of Han doing something true to his scoundrel roots. I tried to like the book really hard, honestly, I did. I sat there thinking," It's an H&L book! I should like it... right?"

Unfortunately, no. The idea of Leia contemplating a marriage for political reasons is plausible. Why Wolverton instead decided to throw in the idea that Leia actually *loved* Isolder in is beyond me.

It is, again, plausible that Han would do something like asking her to elope, or win a planet for her. Fine. It is, however, completely out of character for Han to *shoot* Leia and throw her in a smuggling compartment, and then try to win her back by serving her tongue. Jesus, Wolverton, why didn't you have him beat his chest and drag her back to his cave?

Isolder (aka Fabio, the Prince of Herpes) was far too one-dimensional for me to even take a sympathetic view of him. I really felt that the idea of Isolder being in love with Leia was bogus and the political aspect of the marriage was really enough. And then after reading about his "flowing blonde locks" and "strong barrel-like chest" I'm meant to believe and support this guy when he grows a spine in the last few chapters? I don't think so...

And then, of course, there is Luke Skywalker, Great Jedi Master?, getting beat up by rocks Force-thrown at him by Teneniel Djo. Character? Spine? Where are you?

Han Solo, the Heroic Whuffa Grabber was another cringe-worthy moment, as was the hideous "papa shark/baby shark" dialogue towards the end.

I'd agree that Threepio was pretty humorous. I really thought the latter half of the book was pretty good, though. The space battle against Zsinj and Luke using the Force to fly the Falcon were personal highlights. And I really did think that the whole section where Gethzerion uses the Force to project the executions to Han was very powerful and Han and Leia's goodbye was actually like something out of the movies.

But over-all I thought the book was very weak in terms of characterisation and sometimes in terms of the plot. This is especially illustrated in 'Solo Command', because Aaron Allston takes what is dictated by CoPL and takes it to another level. For example, Zsinj and Melvar aren't just the cardboard villains they are in CoPL but Allston makes a point of showing that the blustery side of Zsing and Melvar's twisted sides are really fronts to blindside enemies, which I thought was way more realistic than what Wolverton cooked up. And Allston really managed to make something out of the 'kiss my wookiee' line.

14. aelie

aelie Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 27, 2003
    CoPL totally got me out of EU for three whole years. But thankfully, I found Stackpole. ;)
    me

15. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    I have always loved the book, to me it is one of the better books in the series. I think Han's character was portrayed straight from the big screen, as is Chewie.

I was kinda annoyed at Leia throughout most of the book and Threepio was hilerious.

I remember feeling so depressed over Han's situation the first time I read the book back when I was a wee lad of 14. :p

16. mrslush50

mrslush50 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 22, 2003
    i liked it. i own it. i still read it every once in a while.

17. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I liked it when Han Solo was getting his teeth shattered. :D

Sorry, sorry... it's the Imperial in me.

Uh... I thought it was out of character when Chewie threatened to kill Han. You'd think that he would support him, or something.

18. lightsaber_wielder

lightsaber_wielder Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 24, 2002
    While I admit that there were some pretty crappy moments, COPL was actually fairly good. It was a fun book, overall, with some cool Force powers and action along the way. Sure, maybe Leia fell for Isolder a little too quickly, and Han went a bit over the top in 'kidnapping' her, but it wasn't that bad. The marriage was handled well. Plus, without COPL we wouldn't have a resolution to the fight with Zsinj or (think about it) a storyline for the Wraith books! :eek: It's just like The Crystal Star: while it has really really bad points, it is a part of EU continuity and serves a purpose.

(Okay, so maybe TCS was a dumb analogy, but you get the picture...)

19. A-WingsRule

A-WingsRule Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 9, 2002
    You've gotta admit, CoPL has some of the funniest EU moments, especially the interaction between Han and 3P0. Highlights were:

3P0's love song
    3P0 recording citizens
    'The Virtues of King Han Solo'
    Aldereenian Consulate
    "Stop the wedding!"

All great stuff.

20. Kirana

Kirana Jedi Master star 2

Nov 13, 1999
    Sure, maybe Leia fell for Isolder a little too quickly, and Han went a bit over the top in 'kidnapping' her, but it wasn't that bad. The marriage was handled well.

lightsaber_wielder, tell me you're joking! Those three points make up quite a large part of the book, considering that theis is a book centred around H&L. And the Isolder romance and Han-kidnapping were both poorly handled which IMO made the first two-thirds of the book extremely weak.

Leia falling for Isolder "a little too quickly." It took her what, like, three years before she admitted her feelings for Han. I'd think you'd agree that many people thought it was more than a little out of character for her to throw her arms around Isolder's chest and declare " I'll go with your anywhere!" This was, of course, followed by the infamous " Leia felt any attachment to Han float away." This after knowing Han for 7 years and Isolder for all of six months. Like I've stated previously, it would be perfectly plausible for Leia to seriously consider the marriage just on political grounds.

I'm not too sure how the marriage could be "handled well" when all of two pages was spent to it, the majority of which concentrated on Chewbacca's newly shampooed fur...

21. DuneManic

DuneManic Jedi Youngling

Apr 29, 2003
    ok so maybe COPL wasnt the BEST of the novels, but i thought it was worth the read. ive actually read it multiple times. i think its virtue is in its humor.

i liked dathomir, and there were some interesting takes on the Force from the author. I'm not a fan of Hapes or its retard Prince with the "stolen" name.

i dunno, i liked it.

22. REBADAMS7

REBADAMS7 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 5, 2001
    Well, all books have their moments - mine is Han trying to woo Leia on the Falcon and she's being a pain - after he's given her a PLANET - and love & lust can be confused once in a while.....and I do not think Leia would have started the ceremony without Luke to walk her down the aisle!
    IMHO
    Reb

23. JediFreac

JediFreac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 7, 2002
    A lot of it was very chauvinistic and out of character, but whatever, it's a fart book, take three steps back and think "sleazy romance novel."

Anybody who criticizes Leia and Isolder...what about Anakin and Padme's wonderful romance.

i've been dying a little bit each day since you came back into my life!

i was dying a little each time one of them openned their mouths.

I never thought that Isolder was based after the name "Isildur" I thought it was an illusion to Tristan & Isolde. If it really is based on Isildur, tho, it ain't the first time an author has used LOTR. Gaeriel Capistan is based after Galaderiel

24. Sock_of_Darth_Vader

Sock_of_Darth_Vader Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 24, 2002
    Anakin and Padmé were nothing like Leia and Iso-loser!!
    Their relationship was awkward because neither of them knew anything about romance.
    Whereas Leia and Isolder were just stEUpid. Do you think Leia would ever consider leaving Han for some...grrr. Watch the carbon freeze scene again. Watch her in Jabba's. Then read CoPL. Then burn it. :p

25. Jedi_Satimber

Jedi_Satimber Jedi Knight star 8

Jul 3, 2002
    I enjoyed reading CoPL...and T@B, very much.

I enjoyed the entire background story and what Luke did.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.