main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Wait a second, are you telling me there are people who LIKED "The Courtship of Princess Leia"?

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by Drew_Atreides, Jul 24, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sand_Dancer

Sand_Dancer Jedi Youngling

Apr 29, 2003
    Ok. I understand what the problem is. I am a huge fan of Leia and I was crushed when she even considered Isolder. BUT After reading Tatooine Ghost, I was ok. In that book Leia thinks back to the Isolder disaster as something she never seriously entertained. It just made her do kind of a mental double-take. From that point of view I could swallow it. I mean who hasn't thought about doing something that far out of character? In the little happy world in my head, Leia never really considered leaving Han. She just had a panic attack and a little identity crisis. It's good. It's past. ;)

2. Jedi_Satimber

Jedi_Satimber Jedi Knight star 8

Jul 3, 2002
    Sand, I kinda like that explaination.

3. JediMasterBigHungry

JediMasterBigHungry Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 24, 2001
    Ok I read it about 6 years ago. And I thought it was the biggest pile of bantha poodoo I have ever read. Even Moby Dick was a little better. And I friggin despise Moby Dick (Why it is considered a classic, I'll never know). And once I was done with it, I took it on my next camping trip for Boy Scouts and threw it in to the fire. Along with every book that has superweapons. Come on people the death stars were supposed to rare! And then every book has a superweapon. Man, I hate superweapons. Especially the "Sun Crusher" it is the biggest pile of chit since the thought that Leia wouldn't marry Han.

4. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    How was Leia out of character? I thought it was pretty well established in the movies, that she was willing to give up her happiness and her freedom for the good of the galaxy. Am I not correct? So then why is it so far out of Leia's character for her to ?leave' Han and marry Isolder? I will admit she never loved Isolder and her heart was with Han. However, Isolder could offer the galaxy much more than Han could offer the galaxy. She was under the impression that by only marrying the Prince of Hapes could she manage to forge an alliance with the powerful cluster. By marrying the Prince, she could then insure that the war against the Empire would be much quicker and bloodless than it could have been. She was going to base her decesion not in her heart, but what she felt was the best for the galaxy. It certainly did not help Han any when her political friends were urging her to marry Isolder.

In my opinion, Han, was also in character in the book. In the movies it is established that he is a rogue, that he risks everything on a whim or even a hunch. So why is Han out of character when he risks everything and I mean everything on Dathomir and Leia. He risked being executed by the Rebellion for being a traitor, he risked life long imprisonment for himself and he even risked the life of Leia in the attempt. He risked everything and he won everything he ever could have wanted.

5. Sand_Dancer

Sand_Dancer Jedi Youngling

Apr 29, 2003
    Good points E_V.
    Um...BigHungry, what? The Sun Crusher wasn't in Courtship or Tatooine Ghost. I'm sure your point is valid, I just am not sure what it is. Why did you hate COPL?

6. JediMasterBigHungry

JediMasterBigHungry Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 24, 2001
    Because I did.

7. Lord_Riven

Lord_Riven Jedi Master star 4

Nov 13, 2001
    COPL was really good.

8. _Xanatos_

_Xanatos_ Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 18, 2003
    It would be good if it were not supposed to be a Han/Leia love story.

9. Sock_of_Darth_Vader

Sock_of_Darth_Vader Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 24, 2002
    E_V, in RotJ Leia left the Rebellion (albeit temporarily) to rescue Han. She put her own happiness in front of the Alliance cause. Watch her in RotJ. She's so obviously in love with Han. Methink Wolverton was too preoccupied with the metal bikini when he was watching. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.