main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Waiting for Destiny - an Obi-Wan, inter-trilogy fic (complete)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Neo-Paladin, Apr 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neo-Paladin

Neo-Paladin Jedi Master star 4

Dec 10, 2004
    Title: Waiting for Destiny
    Author(s): Neo-Paladin
    Timeframe: Inter-Trilogy
    Characters: Obi-Wan Kenobi, Owen Lars, OC?s
    Genre: touch of action, touch of angst?
    Keywords: Obi-Wan
    Summary: Even a Jedi hiding from the Empire has to do something to keep himself occupied while waiting for destiny.
    Notes: I hope you enjoy. Praise will be enjoyed, criticism cherished.

This work is unofficial and has no connection what so ever with any established copyright. Wow, you must have seen a bajilion of these if you've spent much time reading fanfic. And yet here you are reading another. Crazy. Oh, right. I did this for fun. I'm sharing it because I hope other people might enjoy it too. No relation with any established copyright is implied. No financial profit is derived from the following work.
    [hr]

?Well, it seems like they were right,? Owen Lars said, with distain.

Obi-Wan Kenobi smiled patiently in response.

?You can take the Jedi out of the temple, but you can?t take the temple out of the Jedi.?

?Thank you Owen.?

?It wasn?t a compliment,? Owen said flatly. ?What were you thinking??

?Owen, don?t worry about it, it won?t affect you in anyway.?

?Are you brainless?? Owen demanded.

Obi-wan let out a suffering sigh, and raised his hands to massage away the pressure building in his temples.

?This planet has been owned by the Hutts long before you set foot one foot on it. Blast, it?s been owned by the Hutts since before Beru?s father was born! What makes you think one Jedi can, or could, change anything??

?Owen, a Jedi is who I am, I must do what I feel is right.?

?Because that?s worked so well in the past?? Owen said with scorn.

?Owen,? Obi-Wan responded after a pause, and with strained control evident in his voice, ?I don?t expect you to understand.?

?I understand just fine.?

?No, you don?t. You couldn?t.?

?I don?t have to be a Jedi to understand it would be best for everyone if you stayed out of it, and didn?t get involved. One of these days you?re going to go off on one of your damn idealistic crusades and get your self killed, or worse.?

?I half expect you would rejoice at the event,? Obi-Wan said with partially veiled scorn.

?I just might,? Owen bit back. ?You know if you keep this up you could bring him back.?

?I know Owen,? Ben replied with his annoyance evident.

?Then act like it,? Owen replied in the same tone. ?It?s over, Obi-Wan Kenobi is dead. There are no more Jedi, they?re all gone. If you want to survive you have to start facing the reality of the situation. You won?t even stop wearing those damn robes.?

Obi-Wan shrugged, ?I?ve worn them all my life. I?m too set in my ways to change them now. I?m allowed that as an eccentric old man. Besides, they are comfortable.?

?We?ll see how comfortable it is when the Emperor has us all in one of his detention centers.?

?What I wear is immaterial, I am who I am, nothing can change that.?

?You?ve survived because you haven?t been a Jedi since you brought Luke to us, because Obi-Wan died the day Anikin died.?

Obi-Wan sighed, ?You wouldn?t understand Owen.?

?Try me.?

?It has nothing to do with being a Jedi, and everything to do with what is right.?

?Fine, tell yourself that. But at the end of the day I was right then, Anakin shouldn?t have taken off after you then, he should have stayed home where he belonged.? A chill passed through Obi-Wan, that attitude being passed on to Luke? Owen continued, ?and I?m right now, if you don?t stop this, we are all going to be sorry.?

Obi-Wan recognized that he had no chance to change Owen?s mind, so rather than defend his position he looked Owen in the eye, and said nothing. Seeing Obi-Wan?s lack of response, Owen stormed out of Kenobi?s hut, to his speeder, taking off into the night.

?How had it come to this?? Obi-Wan asked himself as he looked across the star filled desert night. ?Oh that?s right??

[i] Obi-Wan had walked his hobbled repulsor cart into Anchorhe

2. Bria921

Bria921 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 31, 2005
    Pretty interesting! Yeah, even Jedi have to find something to do. ;)

3. Neo-Paladin

Dec 10, 2004
    Hi Bria, I'm glad you think it's interesting. I'll conclude it in a day or two, so keep your eyes open!

4. CapNJaxWench

CapNJaxWench Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 4, 2004
    I hope you'll continue this one soon.

5. Neo-Paladin

Dec 10, 2004
    I'll get the exciting conclusion up tomorrow, sound good?

6. Neo-Paladin

Dec 10, 2004
    Obi-Wan sat in the shadows of Anchorhead. His robes were held tight around him holding in warmth, slowing its radiation into the night sky, his hood shrouded his face in shadows. The streets were quiet. Obi-Wan rarely spent the evenings in Anchorhead, so he had no way of knowing if it was any more or less quiet than usual. Desert animals screeched at each other in the distance, the night permitting commotion the twin suns would never allow. Obi-Wan listened as feral Dewbacks fought with a pack of Anooba.

Obi-Wan saw two speeder bikes race across the sands from Mos Eisley; they left a trail of kicked up sand in their wake. They slowed as they approached the edge of the city. The whine of their repulsors dropped in pitch and volume as they passed through the dark streets. Obi-Wan saw there were two of them, one human and one a short stocky Saurin. Their arrogance was evident as they dismounted from their bikes.

The human kept his hair short as was common on Tatoone. As adaptable as humans were, they took a lot of conditioning to take the heat of Tatoone naturally. The Saurin looked around the street as they walked towards Ron-Ka?s store. His large dark eyes took in much more light than human eyes could, and in response Obi-Wan allowed himself to still completely. If he did not move the Saurin would look right past him in the shadows. The Saurin allowed a clawed hand to idly scratch at a spike on the ridge that ran down the center of his scalp. He said something that Obi-Wan couldn?t understand.

?How should I know?? the human responded. The Saurin grunted something else. ?It doesn?t matter. We douse the place, we set the heater, and we take off. Where ever he is, he and the others ?ll get the point.? The Saurin nodded, and grunted something out before letting lose a short barking laugh under his breath. The Human laughed nastily, before saying, ?Yeah, he could call the authorities on us. Then what would we do??

They continued to talk amongst them self as Obi-Wan took a deep breath in, filling his lungs, and letting it escape silently. He reached into the Force and let himself see the Force in these youths. He looked past their auras, which held no surprises, to observe the pathways in their bodies. The human?s held no surprises, but Obi-Wan wanted a little more information on the Saurin before he proceeded.

When he was satisfied that he knew enough of his foes, he let himself separate from the shadow. He moved silently, and fluidly. He approached the two from behind, masking his presence as well as he was able. The two were talking amongst themselves as he entered arms length. Seeing the nerves in their bodies pulse and flow as they walked, Obi-Wan sized up and struck sharply at a nerve bundle at the base of the Human?s skull. The Human fell to the ground unconscious. The Saurin looked suddenly startled at Obi-Wan. Just as quickly Obi-Wan struck the Saurin in the place where his fore ridge stopped and his nose began. The Saurin twitched as his nerves tried to make sense of what suddenly happened to them, before the Saurin fell unconscious next to his fellow gang member.

Obi-Wan again sighed, and picked up the two bodies. Obi-Wan carried them to the bikes, and piled them onto one. He pushed the bike to the edge of Anchorhead, ripped a piece of cloth from the human?s wrappings, tied the accelerator down, and powered up the speeder bike. It raced off into the dessert. They would probably fall off the bike in a few kilometers. It would take them the better part of a day to reach any civilization if they were smart. The desert wouldn?t be kind to them in the meanwhile.

Obi-Wan returned to the other speeder bike, powered it up, and rode it home. He would be able to remove all the gang markings, and sell it for a few extra credits. The desert had made him nothing if not opportunistic.

So now Obi-Wan had a modified speeder bike stowed away in a canyon near by, and Owen breathing down his neck. It was not what he would consider a fair trade, but Obi-Wan gav

7. Bria921

Mar 31, 2005
    ?What in the nine Corellian hells was that?? the leader barked.

?It sounded like blaster fire,? one answered.

?Really! How observant of you! Go find out why,? the leader commanded.

Awesome conclusion! :D :D

Neat how Obi-wan knows that Owen and Beru have to die for Luke to fufill his destiny. The closest Ben had to a friend...

8. Neo-Paladin

Dec 10, 2004
    I'm glad you liked it Bria. We couldn't let the Jedi Master get board, now could we? o_O

I thought that conclusion would bring some poignancy to Obi-Wan's relation to the Lars family. The sacrifices everyone had to make.

9. Bria921

Mar 31, 2005
    It has. And explains more.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.