main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Waiting for Yavin (Leia's thoughts before the Battle of Yavin)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by HandmaidenEirtae, Jun 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HandmaidenEirtae

HandmaidenEirtae Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 23, 2001
    Hey, all! This viggie is about Leia. She's incredibly strong in ANH after they land on Yavin, but what were her thoughts? Losing Alderaan and all her family and friends at her age must have been devestating. We never see her cry once, but doubtless she mourned...

Disclaimer: Star Wars belongs to George Lucas.

I live on feedback.

Night on Yavin IV, with all the ghosts and demons with it. It may be my last night, I realize as I look over the treetops at the twin silver moons hanging low on the horizon. Reflected in the moons are faces of people dead, people I knew and loved. If I listen hard enough, the whispering of the wind becomes their voices. This threat of death does not scare me anymore, though; its blade is dulled. I think because I have lived the last few days in such peril, I've come to disregard it. Or maybe I welcome it.

Perhaps I'm still too numb about?

I close my eyes against the ghosts on the moons, but I can still see them. The Alliance has been based on Yavin IV for some time. I've visited here once or twice, spending a few days to catch up with the doings of the Alliance. It's an exciting, exotic place to be, but I was always glad to return home. Now I have no home.

The night will end with the rising of Yavin and the coming of the Death Star. We found the homing device on the Falcon a few hours ago. Captain Solo was shocked, General Donovan was grim, and I was resigned. I knew they were coming; we all knew. They're coming just like they came for Alderaan. And I'm not frightened. Luke's joined the X-wing squadron. I wish I could help somehow, for while I care little for my own life right now, there are hundreds of other's hanging in the balance, including Luke's, but I have no business in a fighter. So I must wait on the surface. Wait for death?

When I open my eyes, the ghosts are still there. What I would give to join them, to be with my family and friends again, my adopted parents, Bail and Lydiré, and my real mother. I ache to see them all again, to be held in their arms, and only death can fulfill that wish. But I can see Father shaking his head at me as I think those thoughts. That would be the coward's way.

Father hated cowards. He always told me to be strong, keep my head high, and do what's right no matter what the cost. Be smart and be brave, he told me. What's right is the Alliance and our fight against the Empire. The cost is my life, given not in death, but in service.

My mother gave her life in service. From what little I could get from Father, she was one of the greatest politicians ever elected. I know she had incredible adventures too, ones to rival mine, but Father had forbidden Lydiré to tell them to me. Still, there is no one I emulate more than my mother. Living was painful for her, too, like it is for me. I could see it in her eyes. She had lost much, suffered much, but she never wavered. She was strong. She lived. I long to see her again, but I will be strong like her.

Yavin is rising and tinting the forest below red. The night fades, and the ghosts of my friends and family fade with it. Lydiré smiles at me, Father winks at me, and I know they want me to continue. It'll be so hard without them, but as they vanish I vow I will not fall. My mother is last to go. I can see her smiling, too. For once her eyes are not sad. They are bright and encouraging. She did not only serve, she lived. And I must follow her example.

Death is the coward's way, and I, Leia Organa, like my mother, am no coward. Smoothing my dress, I turn away from the window and walk away from death.

Tae

2. TenelKaJedi

TenelKaJedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 9, 2003
    TAE: All I can say is.....

WOW!!!!!

You are good!

TKJ

3. Tych_sel

Tych_sel Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 29, 2001
    Great viggie, Tae. I loved the bit about Leia seeing Padme smiling at her. The idea of seeing the faces and hearing the voices reminds me of a moment in the X-Wing books when Wedge is pondering something similar - all the pilots that he's seen die serving the Rebellion.

Force be with you,

Tych_sel

4. LadyPadme

LadyPadme Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 26, 2002

Lovely viggie, Tae...I loved her thoughts of her father, mother and Lydire.

Very poignant and lyrical.

5. RogueSticks

RogueSticks Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 15, 2003
    ::speechless:: wow. i mean wow....there are no words...

6. Sara_Kenobi

Sara_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 21, 2000
    That was just wonderful. You really captured Leia there. Fantastic writing! :)

7. Puggy

Puggy Jedi Master star 3

Oct 1, 2002
    Beautiful vignette! You captured Leia so well, her feelings about Alderaan and her family, especially. And end paragraph of the story was perfect. Wonderful work!

8. Sock_of_Darth_Vader

Sock_of_Darth_Vader Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 24, 2002
    Wow, Taé! This was excellent, and so sad! *loves Leia*

9. HandmaidenEirtae

Jun 23, 2001
    TenelKaJedi: - [face_blush] Thank you very much.

I'm glad you liked that part, Tych_sel. I didn't orginally write it in that Leia "saw" all her family and friends, but it worked it's way in when I was typing it up, and I like it this way.

Thanks, LP. See what I'm doing when I should be working on Arden Lyn? :D

Roguesticks - Thanks, that means a lot to me. :)

Thanks, Sara Kenobi. I don't often write Leia, so I'm glad you liked my characterization of her.

Puggy - Thanks! I have a hard time with endings, but I'm glad you thought it was fitting.

Thank you, Sock of DV/Cat. I'm glad I did Leia justice for you. :)

Tae

10. darla101

darla101 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 11, 2003
    This is very beautiful and it seems, underated.

Its a great concept.

11. HandmaidenEirtae

Jun 23, 2001
    [face_blush] Thank you, Darla. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Tae

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.