main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Waiting (Obi-Wan intertrilogy vignette)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Gabri_Jade , May 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gabri_Jade

Gabri_Jade Fanfic Archive Editor Emeritus star 5 VIP

Nov 9, 2002
    Title: Waiting

Summary: See above. ;)

A/N: Hugs to obaona, who inspired it, and LadyPadme, who insisted it be posted. :) It's very short, unbetaed, and my first attempt at writing Obi-Wan. You've been warned. :p

~*~*~

A cloud?

Obi-Wan paused to look again, holding up his hand to shield his eyes from the harsh light of Tatooine's second noon. The glaring light from the twin suns did more than dazzle the sight; it also bleached all color from the sky, so that raising one's eyes above the horizon to view the vast, pale expanse was nearly as blinding as looking directly at the suns themselves. Obi-Wan risked it anyway, scanning the brilliant sky for a glimpse of what had to be another mirage -

No, there it was again. Paler even than the sky, so wispy as to be translucent, small enough to have been imagined, but it was undeniably a cloud.

Obi-Wan sat down hard in his surprise, hard enough that the impact jarred his teeth. How long had it been since he'd seen a cloud? Years. Years and years, and even such a poor specimen as this brought back memories nearly vivid enough to make him weep.

He didn't give in to the impulse, of course. Those who are hunted never survive long without control. Control over one's actions, one's words, one's thoughts - but the memories were beyond his control. They spiraled and soared within his mind and heart, rendering him motionless in their thrall.

The deep red clouds of a Coruscant sunset, seen from the tallest spires of the Jedi temple. Golden-edged clouds in Naboo's aqua skies. The massive, grey, unbroken clouds of Kamino, the fiery clouds of Geonosis, all of it so long ago. Lifetimes ago. Was it really he who had lived that life? Obi-Wan wasn't always convinced of that. Nor did it ultimately matter. That life was dead and gone, the temple demolished, his companions and friends hunted to their deaths, the principles they'd protected buried hopelessly beneath hatred and oppression. Bant, Siri, Luminara, Barriss, Master Windu, all fallen. Dex - what had happened to Dex, he wondered? Was he still on Coruscant, or had he managed to escape before Palpatine's anti-alien laws were put into place? Did Padmé live still, or had she been found by Imperial spies?

With a painful wrench, Obi-Wan tore his thoughts away from the pointless, grief-stricken musings. It did no good to dwell on such things. He could not change the past. He could not help those who still suffered. He could only hope to influence the future.

It would be so much easier, he thought, if only the Force would give him something solid to work with once in a while. A schedule, a deadline, a vivid flash of insight rather than subtle nudges. Something. Leia was as safe as she was ever likely to be with Bail Organa, as Luke was with Owen and Beru Lars, but difficulties remained, and the Force had so far been silent as to how these difficulties might be resolved. After lengthy meditation, Yoda had felt it important that Obi-Wan remain near Luke, but Owen had insisted that the boy experience a childhood free from Jedi influence. How, then, could he ever be trained properly? And what of Leia, far from either Yoda or Obi-Wan? Would she ever be trained at all? Or had Yoda been wrong about the twins' importance? Each was strong in the Force, Obi-Wan agreed, but so had their father been. Would it be someone else, someone not yet found, who would eventually defeat Ana- Vader and Palpatine? Or (please, no) had everything been in vain from the beginning? Were the Sith destined to dominate the Force for a millennia, as the Jedi had before them?

Obi-Wan sighed. His duty encompassed none of these questions. He was merely a sentinel, watching and guarding, waiting for the day when the Force would finally tell him to act.

He glanced up toward the ghost of a cloud, already faded into near nothingness. Closing his eyes against the pervasive glare, Obi-Wan concentrated for a long moment, allowing his turmoil to likewise dissipate. As a resigned sense o

2. obaona

obaona Jedi Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    I really like this. ;) (Well, duh. [face_mischief] Gabri_Jade + fic = goodness.)

It would be so much easier, he thought, if only the Force would give him something solid to work with once in a while. A schedule, a deadline, a vivid flash of insight rather than subtle nudges. Something.

I think that's my favorite line. Just because - it made me think of Obi-Wan's situation in a different way. You took this simple concept, Obi-Wan waiting, and somehow gave it this great twist and took it from a different angle . . . I'm not explaining very well. ;) But it's GOOD. Don't you doubt it, or there will be thwacking going on, and I'm sure LP would help me. ;)

*huggies* :D

3. LadyPadme

LadyPadme Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 26, 2002

I know you thought this was short, Mei, but it's a lovely flash of insight into Obi-Wan's mind during what must have been the most difficult years of his life. The fact that he doubts and wonders and feels discouraged makes him so human, and the fact that he shrugs off his doubts and carries on shows the essential qualities of loyalty and steadfastness that make him Obi-Wan. It's really a lovely piece, and I enjoyed reading it.

And...thwacking? Did I hear something about thwacking going on? :eek: :p

4. Stormtrooper_Shrink

Stormtrooper_Shrink Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2004
    Lovely look into Obi-Wan's mind. :) Clouds...I guess you'd miss them after a while on a desert planet. ;)

5. Gina

Gina Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 3, 2003
    Beautifully written look into Obi-Wan's thoughts. I loved how you used a cloud, something that seems so ordinary (unless you live on a desert planet), to trigger all those memories and worries.

6. TheCrazyRodian

TheCrazyRodian Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2004
    Gabri_Jade + fic = goodness

Isn't that like the Fundamental Theorem of Fanfiction or something?

Great vignette, Gabri_Jade. I agree with what everyone has said so far. Now, I must flee before someone catches me somewhere other than the Beyond the Saga board...

::Runs away cackling and muttering in Rodian::

7. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    WOW! This was an amazing vignette. It was beautiful and lyrical, haunting and poignant. You did a wonderful job of writing Obi-Wan!

That life was dead and gone, the temple demolished, his companions and friends hunted to their deaths, the principles they'd protected buried hopelessly beneath hatred and oppression. Bant, Siri, Luminara, Barriss, Master Windu, all fallen. Dex - what had happened to Dex, he wondered? Was he still on Coruscant, or had he managed to escape before Palpatine's anti-alien laws were put into place? Did Padmé live still, or had she been found by Imperial spies?

This was especially touching. Great job! VaderLVR gives a bow and walks off to torment others.

8. Laine_Snowtrekker

Laine_Snowtrekker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 8, 2003
    Wow! This was so good, so poignant. It's funny how everyday objects can touch off so many memories, good and bad.

9. Kynstar

Kynstar Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    Great work! I love his reminiscing (sp) of the past and the fact that it started off with juz a little cloud that reminded him of clouds from differ worlds. Amazing how little things can make us think and remember. Even when the memories are heartfelt and painful sometimes.

10. Jedikma

Jedikma Jedi Master star 4

Feb 5, 2004
    This was lovely. A nice little glimse of Obi-Wan during his years on Tatooine without being angty. I really enjoyed it.

~ Jedikma :)

11. Darth_Lex

Darth_Lex Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2002
    Great job! :D

I love the symbolism of the cloud dissipating along with Obi-Wan's anxieties. So appropriate for the Jedi he is - he doesn't deny that he has fears, but he doesn't allow those fears to dominate his thoughts. He is afraid for the future; how could he not be? But he has a duty to perform, and nothing will stand in the way of that.

If that's not Obi-Wan in a nutshell, I don't know what is. ;)

Ana- Vader
    :_| :_|

12. EmilieDarklighter

EmilieDarklighter Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 19, 2002
    Lovely, m'dear! I knew you'd end up writing The Prequel Hotness sooner or later. You captured him perfectly. *HUGS*

13. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I hadn't even thought about clouds and how there wouldn't be one on a desert planet, really. I like how you used that as a methaphor for everything unknown Obi-Wan is waiting for during this time. Nice job :)

-sj loves kevin spacey

14. Gabri_Jade

Nov 9, 2002
    oba: Gabri_Jade + fic = goodness

[face_blush] Not sure I agree with that one, but thank you. :p

Just because - it made me think of Obi-Wan's situation in a different way.

I'm so glad! :D I still haven't figured out where this whole story came from, really. It just was. Thanks for the inspiration that got it started. :D

But it's GOOD. Don't you doubt it, or there will be thwacking going on, and I'm sure LP would help me.

Eeep! :eek: *huggles warily* :p

Jieh: I know you thought this was short, Mei, but it's a lovely flash of insight into Obi-Wan's mind during what must have been the most difficult years of his life.

Thank you! :D It must have been incredibly hard for him, mustn't it? I don't think I ever really took that into account before the PT. :( I'm so pleased you liked it, Jieh. :D

And...thwacking? Did I hear something about thwacking going on?

Eeep again! :eek: When did those tables turn? *backs slowly away from oba and LP* :eek:

Stormtrooper_Shrink: Thank you so much, dear! :)

Clouds...I guess you'd miss them after a while on a desert planet.

I kind of figured that with the vaporators pulling moisture out of the atmosphere, there wouldn't be enough left to condense into a cloud. I'll have to look that up for sure someday. :p

Gina: Thank you! :) It is really amazing how ordinary things can trigger the strongest memories, isn't it?

TheCrazyRodian: Isn't that like the Fundamental Theorem of Fanfiction or something?

[face_blush] Um, I'm pretty sure it's not, but that's awfully flattering. Thank you! :D [face_blush]

Now, I must flee before someone catches me somewhere other than the Beyond the Saga board...

::Runs away cackling and muttering in Rodian::

LOL! [face_laugh] Rodian? What Rodian? *does shifty eyes*

VaderLVR64: It was beautiful and lyrical, haunting and poignant.

:eek: [face_blush] Really? Thank you! I'm so glad you think so. :D

VaderLVR gives a bow and walks off to torment others.

LOL! Good luck with that tormenting stuff. It is fun, isn't it? [face_devil]

Laine_Snowtrekker: Poignant is always good. :) I'm glad you enjoyed it! :D

Kynstar: Amazing how little things can make us think and remember. Even when the memories are heartfelt and painful sometimes.

I couldn't agree more. :) Thank you! (And I love your icon. [face_love] )

Jedikma: Thank you so much! :D I know any padawan of oba's must have good taste, so I'm glad you liked it. :)

Lex: I love the symbolism of the cloud dissipating along with Obi-Wan's anxieties.

There's that symbolism talent of yours again. :p I'm glad it worked. :)

If that's not Obi-Wan in a nutshell, I don't know what is.

I am so relieved to hear it, let me tell you. It's hard to be sure you've gotten a character right the first time. And I really like your analysis, too. :D

Ana- Vader :_| :_|

I know. :(

Emmi: I knew you'd end up writing The Prequel Hotness sooner or later.

He is that, isn't he? [face_love] [face_love] [face_love] Thanks, darling! :) *hugs*

solojones: I hadn't thought about it either, until this vignette ambushed me. :p I am pleased that you think the metaphor works. Thank you! :D

Thank you so much for the lovely feedback, everyone! It's very appreciated. :)

~Gabri

15. leia_naberrie

leia_naberrie Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2002
    It?s a mark of deep insight that you used something as fundamental as clouds and the lack of them in Tatooine and crafted this tale around it. Brilliant vignette.

16. CrystalKenobi

CrystalKenobi Jedi Master star 4

Jul 31, 2003
    I enjoyed this very much.

He glanced up toward the ghost of a cloud, already faded into near nothingness. Closing his eyes against the pervasive glare, Obi-Wan concentrated for a long moment, allowing his turmoil to likewise dissipate. As a resigned sense of peace once more settled upon him like a shroud, Obi-Wan slapped his hands lightly on his knees and rose. He would do what must be done, the only thing that could be done. Until the Force chose to speak to him, he would continue his solitary existence.

Waiting.

The above was my favorite part. I could visualize this scene in my mind.

17. Bri_Windstar

Bri_Windstar Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 27, 2002
    GABRI! :eek:

Im, well, im not too surprised, given your fondness for the PT character that is Obi-Wan Kenobi, but still, if it has your name and NO L/M mention in the tagline, i must do a small double-take ;) 8-}

I heart it so [face_love] . I dont read much Obi-Wan, so this was a treat, to be sure. I can see him, in my mind, exactly as you've written him, and i think you've pinned the thoughts and musings and apprehensions he'd have quite well. :)

Props to you 8-}

*bursts out laughing at the thwacking scene before her*

::Windstar Out::

18. LadyPadme

LadyPadme Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 26, 2002

See, I told you that posting a non-LM by Gabri_Jade would be a pleasant surprise for the readers on the boards.

Isn't it worth it to post just for the shock value of keeping the young'uns on their toes? :p

19. Bri_Windstar

Bri_Windstar Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 27, 2002
    Oh, hardy har har 8-}

It's just... a testament to the talents of the author :D [face_love]

*gives Gabri perfectly normal, innocent, harmless Dr. Pepper in congrats* ;) 8-}

::Windstar Out::

20. Jedi-2B

Jedi-2B Jedi Master star 4

Nov 2, 2000
    You have to warn me when you post a new gem. I scanned the Saga board the last two days, I really did. How I overlooked this, I'll never know.

Beautiful little viggie, tho, Gabri. So telling of Obi-Wan's strength of character, even when he feels discouraged.

21. Gabri_Jade

Nov 9, 2002
    leia_naberrie: [face_blush] Wow. Thank you so much! I really appreciate it. [face_blush] :D

CrystalKenobi: I could visualize this scene in my mind.

Thank you! :D I'm so pleased that it's vivid enough to see. :D

Bri-chan: GABRI! :eek:

LOL! You crack me up, dear. :p

if it has your name and NO L/M mention in the tagline, i must do a small double-take

That's exactly what LP said would happen, too. :p Isn't she wise? [face_love]

I heart it so . I dont read much Obi-Wan, so this was a treat, to be sure. I can see him, in my mind, exactly as you've written him, and i think you've pinned the thoughts and musings and apprehensions he'd have quite well.

Thank you, darling whippersnapper! [face_love]

*bursts out laughing at the thwacking scene before her*

:eek: Traitorous young one! :eek:

Jieh: See, I told you that posting a non-LM by Gabri_Jade would be a pleasant surprise for the readers on the boards.

*grins* What do you know, she can write more than Mara and romance . . . :p

Isn't it worth it to post just for the shock value of keeping the young'uns on their toes?

Totally. :D

Bri: It's just... a testament to the talents of the author

[face_love]

*gives Gabri perfectly normal, innocent, harmless Dr. Pepper in congrats*

:eek: :eek: [face_shocked]

Michele: You have to warn me when you post a new gem. I scanned the Saga board the last two days, I really did. How I overlooked this, I'll never know.

[face_guilty] Sorry about that. [face_blush] And you overlooked it because it was me and yet didn't say L/M. :p

Beautiful little viggie, tho, Gabri. So telling of Obi-Wan's strength of character, even when he feels discouraged.

Thank you! Isn't Obi-Wan a great character that way? :D I'm glad you liked it. :)

~Gabri

22. EmilieDarklighter

EmilieDarklighter Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 19, 2002
    Oh, doubts do beget thwackage, m'dear. So have confidence in yourself! Think The Sound of Music...

I have con-FEE-dence in ME!

;)

23. Gabri_Jade

Nov 9, 2002
    And here I thought it was only uppity whippersnappers that begat thwackage. Silly me. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.