main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Wake Up! The Gatherer is Spamming the JCC...

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Fluke_Groundwalker, Mar 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ariana Lang

Ariana Lang Jedi Youngling star 5

Oct 10, 1999
    The Enema thread was just scary. :eek:

2. DarthDarkDart

DarthDarkDart Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 23, 2000
    Right. Now that's what we should be discussing here. One, what is the definition of spam, two, is it different for VIPs than it is for the rest of us plebes, and three, what do we do about it.

3. Darth_Dagsy

Darth_Dagsy Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 2000
    PiaS, when I went into that thread, there were people posting pictures that were simply about being negative to the thread, being destructive. That is why I went in and told people to behave.

You went in and posted stuff that, while not as destructive, was majorly offtopic. When you do that soon after a mod has just told people to behave, then you should take into account the possible response.

Ninja, your second thread was basically redundant, and was done to cause problems.

4. Dark_Lord_Erik

Dark_Lord_Erik Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 19, 2001
    If you don't like a thread, and you don't post in it, the thread sinks down past the threads that you like.

If you have a problem with a thread, don't take it into your own hands, by telling the poster how dumb the thread is, or by taking the thread off-topic. It's not needed.

5. Ninja_Jedi

Ninja_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 23, 2002
    No no, it was done so that people could talk about their dinner, the orginal was about lunch, it seemed to be succesful so I thought "HEY! People like dinner too!" so I made another thread. Am I allowed to make an "I'm sorry thread?" or have I hit my thread limits yet? I'm confused because 2 were locked, so do they still count?

6. Fluke_Groundwalker

Fluke_Groundwalker Jedi Youngling star 5

Aug 11, 2001
    Ninja's second thread wasn't redundant! People have to eat supper, you know!

Lunch and supper are not the same, therefore, not redundant!

7. royalguard96

royalguard96 Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 13, 2001
    Right. Now that's what we should be discussing here. One, what is the definition of spam, two, is it different for VIPs than it is for the rest of us plebes, and three, what do we do about it.

The ModSquad update from Dec. 10-16 (I think) provides the reasons behind TG's demotion. I'd link, but it's late and I'm lazy 8-}

I think this sort of random, non-sensical thread starting was *a* reason, but not *the* reason he was demoted in the first place.

I believe also, a decision was reached that mods/VIPs were to be held to equal, if not higher, standards than regular JCers. I'd like to think this standard would apply here.

8. Dark_Lord_Erik

Jan 19, 2001
    And I don't see any threads that the Gatherer has posted in the JCC as being threads that I would have locked if anyone else had posted them.

9. Fluke_Groundwalker

Fluke_Groundwalker Jedi Youngling star 5

Aug 11, 2001
    Unforunately, Brad, that's not true here. Gatherer obviously isn't subject to the same rules that you and I must follow.

10. Ninja_Jedi

Jun 23, 2002
    So I am allowed to post an "Im sowwy" thread?

11. Dark_Lord_Erik

Jan 19, 2001
    Are you truly sorry for something, because if not, don't bother.

12. Ninja_Jedi

Jun 23, 2002
    I'm sorry I ever came to the JC. Well, more like I'm sorry that we are held to such hypocritical standards, and sorry that I didn't get to make a breakfast thread.

13. Porkins in a Speedo

Porkins in a Speedo Jedi Knight star 5

May 6, 1999
    Posting: "I just farted" in a thread is just having fun? It wasn't meant to belittle the thread, or the thread's creator? I find that hard to believe.

what i find hard to believe is that statements like that, which are completely unfounded and judgemental, don't make your biases obvious. i can't think of any other reason why you'd think a completely benign post like "i just farted" is meant to 'belittle' the thread or thread creator. unless you just don't have any sense of humor and see everything as evil. who knows...

14. Dark_Lord_Erik

Jan 19, 2001
    I don't see how you're held to hypocritical standards. I wouldn't have locked the threads that were made by the Gatherer had they been posted by anyone else. His threads did not cross any line, in my book.

15. Ninja_Jedi

Jun 23, 2002
    A thread apologizing about something that happened last night, that barely anyone knew about.

16. Dark_Lord_Erik

Jan 19, 2001
    Because posting "I just farted" in a thread about what someone misses is making your point that the thread which you posted in means nothing to you.

You could have done the same thing by just staying out of the thread.

17. Darth_Dagsy

Darth_Dagsy Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 2000
    Ninja, plenty of people have had threads apologising for things they've done on the boards.

It isnt common, but people do it.

I dont see the issue with it.

18. Porkins in a Speedo

May 6, 1999
    erik- once again, you're trying to tell me how i feel about a thread. what makes you think you can do that? is humor so foreign to you? i don't get it, erik.

19. Qui Gon Jim23

Qui Gon Jim23 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 11, 2002
    It is an absolute travesty that the mods have left this thread open and honestly a deriliction of duty. Since when was it allowed to name a person publically in a situation such is this? Each and every one of you disappoint me. You people really need to get your act together.

It disappoints me almost as much as I am disappointed by the fact that you protect the person named in this thread from the rules everyone else is held to.

20. Ninja_Jedi

Jun 23, 2002
    So what's wrong with my dinner thread? By all means it should be unlocked.

21. Dark_Lord_Erik

Jan 19, 2001
    What was your intention in posting what you did? Was it to contribute to the thread in a positive manner?

22. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    Does the fact that perhaps only a few people knew what happened, make the apology any less relavent? It is certainly a lot easier than sending PMs apologizing for his actions to several hundred people on the board. If he wants to apologize, I don't see the harm in why that is not appropriate.

23. xie

xie Jedi Knight star 5

May 25, 2002
    There is not a rule that says every member who posts in a thread must post in a positive manner, contribute anything, and if they do contribute, must contribute in a positive way.

24. Porkins in a Speedo

May 6, 1999
    um, gee, i don't know erik. maybe i was just being a goof? seriously, do you have ANY sense of humor whatsoever??? why does everything have to be trouble in your eyes???

25. Ninja_Jedi

Jun 23, 2002
    Edit: My bad

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.