main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Wake Up! The Gatherer is Spamming the JCC...

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Fluke_Groundwalker, Mar 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dark_Lord_Erik

Dark_Lord_Erik Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 19, 2001
    I was talking to Porkins.

It's trouble in my eyes, that when two moderators go into a thread, and they ask that users stop making a thread worse off than it already is, that they continue to post in the same manner.

2. Porkins in a Speedo

Porkins in a Speedo Jedi Knight star 5

May 6, 1999
    well, i'm not gonna continue arguing this, because it's ridiculous. but, erik seriously, LIGHTEN UP. you are WAY too tense, brother. plz don't hate me.

3. EmpressPalpatine

EmpressPalpatine Jedi Youngling star 4

Mar 31, 2001
    I hardly see any difference in PiaS' posts tonite in that thread, than any others posts he makes in YJCC. You all know him, we all know his style, and that's it. Up till now it's been considered fluff, and rather harmless ( as you yourself pointed out to me the other night, Erik ) - So, at what point did PiaS' posts become spam? They were most certainly NOT taking the thread off-topic. The thread, by it's very nature, was offtopic to the YJCC, as there are very few former mods around to commisserate with the Gatherer on his missing his colors. So, by turning it into a harmless fluff social thread, how in heck did PiaS suddenly derail; it with "spam"?

WHat is considered fluff one day is considered spam the next. Does the judgement of the YJCC mods depend on whether their blood sugar is running low at a particular time, or is there a more concrete guide that most of us are unaware of..

4. Dark_Lord_Erik

Dark_Lord_Erik Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 19, 2001
    At the point where people in a thread are asked to stop derailing a thread, and they continue. That's the point where things went downhill. I didn't take action on either night. All I did was ask him to stop.

5. EmpressPalpatine

Mar 31, 2001
    again, Erik, how was he, or anyone derailing a thread that basically was off the tracks from the get-go? That's the question that confuses so many of us here. At what point, and by what standard, is spam defined..

I mean, was the thread all about The Gatherer's colors when he was a mod? Not too much can be done with that topic. Was it about his missing them? Again, not too many users have a common frame of reference.. Was it about generally missing things? If so, it was not clearly defined by the thread's creator, so from all appearances, the thread HAD no legit topic, and was going along rather smoothly as a fluff social thread. Then wham, it's declared spam, and derailing. I think the question many have is what criteria did you use to make that determination?

6. Darth_Dagsy

Darth_Dagsy Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 2000
    Empress, as I said earlier. That thread was getting members posting negative and destructive comments that induced a mod to tell people to stop.

After that, PiaS went in and posted something very offtopic. Straight after a mod asks people to straighten up and fly right. If he posts like that, then he has to be aware that it might not be received well.

Not blood sugar. Not whether they cut themselves shaving. Not that they just got bitten by a mosquito.

When you post highly off-topic comments, you are doing so at a risk that it might not be well received.

I mean, was the thread all about The Gatherer's colors when he was a mod? Not too much can be done with that topic. Was it about his missing them? Again, not too many users have a common frame of reference.. Was it about generally missing things?
    .....the thread HAD no legit topic

So if you dont see a point behind a thread, then you can go in and post whatever you like? No. You just dont post in the thread.

How hard is that for people to understand? If you dont like a thread, or dont have anything constructive to contribute, then dont post in the thread.

It shouldnt be that difficult.

7. Porkins in a Speedo

May 6, 1999
    he wasn't trying to be defiant, dags. let's not blow this out of proportion.

EDIT: humor is always 'constructive', dags.

8. EmpressPalpatine

Mar 31, 2001
    If you dont like a thread, or dont have anything constructive to contribute, then dont post in the thread.

so, by that logic, if I see a "The Core is the Greatest Movie Ever" thread, and I personally disliked the movie vehemently, I should not post in it, cause I'd be derailing it?

humor is always 'constructive', dags.

only if used to write the weekly MS updates.. All other uses are higholy controversial and subject to the whims of whichever Mod encounters it first...

9. Ninja_Jedi

Ninja_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 23, 2002
    I guess we're not allowed to disagree on the JC. Why not just give us a lobotomy? (I bet they would if they had the power)

10. YoungJedi11

YoungJedi11 Jedi Knight star 5

May 20, 2002
    so, by that logic, if I see a "The Core is the Greatest Movie Ever" thread, and I personally disliked the movie vehemently, I should not post in it, cause I'd be derailing it?

You should still post in it, because it's your own opinion. You wouldn't be derailing anything by giving your opinion.

11. YouAgain

YouAgain Jedi Master star 5

Dec 20, 2001
    I Hate Our Hamster ! So if I like his hamster I cant post humour in his thread?

12. Darth_Dagsy

Darth_Dagsy Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 2000
    Not at all. If you discuss the movie, in a responsible manner, then thats fine.

If you simply post that it sucks, its crap, you hate it, the thread should be locked because the movie sucks. If you post in a negative and destructive manner, then you simply shouldnt post in the thread.

And even then, there is a lot that is about the thread itself. A movie thread can accomodate dissenting opinions. A thread about Gath missing his colours, has no good reason for getting posts such as the ones in his thread.

PiaS, I wasnt saying you were trying to be defiant. Simply that you were going into a thread that was already on thin ice. Not that you posted to cause trouble, simply that you posted when it wasnt the right time for it. I am not mentioning motivation in any way.

13. Porkins in a Speedo

May 6, 1999
    PiaS, I wasnt saying you were trying to be defiant. Simply that you were going into a thread that was already on thin ice. Not that you posted to cause trouble, simply that you posted when it wasnt the right time for it. I am not mentioning motivation in any way.

thank you, dags. (seriously)
    now please tell that to erik. he seems to think otherwise.

EDIT: i just farted again. while typing. and it shook me and caused me to make a typo. HAR! HAR! see? it's a joke. get it? [face_mischief] ;)

14. Jedi_Learner

Jedi_Learner Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 10, 2002
    Don't like a topic? Then don't post in it, I'm following that rule from now and you should too. You're trying to make a point out of nothing, leave him alone would you.

15. Sebulba_Sloan

Sebulba_Sloan RSA Alumni star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 24, 2002
    Post edited to clarify my view.

I am simply agreeing with Jedi_Learner that there is no need to make such an issue out of something that is being sorted.

16. Jedi_Learner

Jedi_Learner Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 10, 2002
    Edit: Does that [face_plain] mean your expression is with me or the actual topic?

17. Skimaniac87

Skimaniac87 Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 21, 2002
    Don't you think we're all taking the JCC a little too seriously today? [face_plain]

The JCC is meant to be there to have fun and chill out with other cool dudes, not to down each post, if you don't like the thread then don't post in it, it's as easy as that. And all who disagree can PM me and we can talk over PM about it.

Seriously, lets just chill about this...

18. DarthAttorney

DarthAttorney Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 8, 2000
    Everyone can drop this personal crap and address the topic or not post at all.

The next person to make an off-topic post will be spanked for 24hrs.

[face_plain]

19. Kadue

Kadue Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 20, 2000
    Firstly, a lot of what has occupied this thread should have been dealt with via PM with specific mods, not taken issue with in this thread.

As for specifically the issue brought up, I'd like to say that over the course of the last 24 hours, there have been at least 5 other users that have had 3 or more threads active (and thus on the top page) at the same time, yet none of them have had any action taken against them or had people complaining about spamming, and some of them are as "useless" as those of The Gatherer. As a VIP he is subject to the same rules as a normal user, and it isn't something that is going to result in any action if posted by any other users.

As such, I'm locking this thread. If there are still problems you have, PM me please.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.