main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Wal-mart exclusive Cantina bar set (6 figure set)

Discussion in 'Collecting' started by Thena, Nov 14, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crewman6

Crewman6 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 30, 2002
    ^Actor contracts always contain very specific language in which the actor signs off on the right to have their image used for all kinds of promotional purposes, marketing, merchandising, etc.

However, no one could have predicted the success of SW when it was going to be made and the demand for toys based on all its characters.

As a result, no one would have bothered making up a contract for two women who were playing non-speaking extras only briefly glimpsed in a crowd scene.

Most of the other actors though, probably signed a relatively standard contract giving permission for such things.

(In the case of Cusing, it is very likely that he could have specifically opted not to waive off his rights)

2. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Why couldn't they make figures of two females with similar clothes/hair and different faces and call them something else? Wouldn't that make it legal?

3. Quickstrike34

Quickstrike34 Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 27, 2001
    I wish I could remember my Source. I beleive there was an article on it in Toyfair ages ago, or possibly Tomarts Action figure Review, which had various facts on the hasbro line around the Time of the POTF2 Tarkin Figure.

If I can find my soruce though, be happy to post it I will :D

4. Quickstrike34

Sep 27, 2001
    Why couldn't they make figures of two females with similar clothes/hair and different faces and call them something else? Wouldn't that make it legal?

If they are too similer, than either the Tonnika Sisters, or the Heirs of might try to sue Hasbro. However, it boggles the mind as to why after so long they wouldant have cashed in on the sucsess of Star wars, unless they feel there characters have no point in having an action figure.

5. BrendonWahlberg

BrendonWahlberg Jedi Master star 2

Nov 14, 2001
    The Mantis-like creature and Evazan are new sculpts - but will Wuher the bartender be a new sculpt?

6. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    I wouldn't count on Wuher being a new sculpt... this is Hasbro we're talking about... ;)

7. Abhors Elder

Abhors Elder Guest

I wonder how kindly they take to fan mail ;)

-saber holder

8. Ret

Ret Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 17, 1999
    "It was the Same Way with Peter Cushing, The Man who played Tarkin. It was after his death we finally did get a Tarkin figure, but I beleive a next of Kin had to allow it. "

Interesting and it does make sense.

9. ThePostman

ThePostman Jedi Padawan star 4

May 19, 2002
    Hey you know Even Piell isnt really a human likeness so they could go ahead and make a figure of him and I would be sure that no-one would mind... :(

10. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Well, but isn't Even Piell played by a human? I think her name is Michaela something....

11. Ret

Dec 17, 1999
    I imagine they still have to get the actor's consent.

12. ThePostman

ThePostman Jedi Padawan star 4

May 19, 2002
    well yeah but its not really her likeness :p

13. Quickstrike34

Sep 27, 2001
    well yeah but its not really her likeness

Ya never know.......

8-}

14. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    That's a horrible thing to say... :(

15. Ret

Dec 17, 1999
    Sad but could be true.

16. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    :(
    But at any rate, I'm sure this time they've gotten clearances from everyone whose character could *conceivably* be made into an action figure...

17. Ret

Dec 17, 1999
    "However, it boggles the mind as to why after so long they wouldant have cashed in on the sucsess of Star wars, unless they feel there characters have no point in having an action figure. "

I wonder how much people get from their action figures. I can't imagine much.

18. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    I always figured LFL got most of the royalties...

19. Quickstrike34

Sep 27, 2001
    Thats a horrible thing to say...

Tis a Joke, No Harm inteneded to the Woman who played him/her. ;)

Well, For it being there likness I'm sure something is Negoitated into ther Contracts, though it might simply be an Up front fee in return for there premission to make action figures.

Edit:[I Have bad spelling, what more can I say?]
    Eidt: [Wow, I even mispelled my Edit]

20. yavinjabba

yavinjabba Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 11, 2002
    The whole Tonnika legal matter should be a non-issue.

I imagine a release of some kind had to be agreed upon to even use their likeness and characters in various comics and novels--incuding Tales from the Mos Eisley Cantina.

21. Ret

Dec 17, 1999
    There must be a difference between just a drawing or story about them and figures.

22. TOBBI_DALA

TOBBI_DALA Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 1, 2002
    Ok. Here is the scoop. I knew that somewhere i had read about the Tonnika Sister action figure problem. This is from Rebelscum.com, in a section entitled Question Mark.
    Has Hasbro ever actually said what the specific problem is with making the Tonnikas (other than that vague "rights issues")? -Jim
    Yes, they have, and it's really not all that vague, unfortunately. When a toy is modeled after a particular person, toy companies usually have the actor/model sign a release granting permission to use their 'likeness.' In the case of the Tonnika sisters, that permission was never granted. To avoid possible legal issues, Hasbro has held off on those figures until that permission can be secured. Hasbro knows how bad collectors want those figures, in fact they were lined up for the first Fan Choice poll until this issue came up. I've been told, if it's at all possible, they will do them. Now it's just a matter of when.

23. TOBBI_DALA

TOBBI_DALA Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 1, 2002
    I liked the idea of:Why couldn't they make figures of two females with similar clothes/hair and different faces and call them something else? Wouldn't that make it legal?

Truth be told, there were 2 sets of "Tonnika sisters" in the Mos Eisley Cantina. A pair of Mistryl cousins were impersonating Brea and Senni Tonnika. They were there trying to find a pilot. The real Tonnika sisters were at a party at Jabba the Hutt's place. They were hiding from Grand Moff Argon. The names of the two characters claiming to be the Tonnika sisters are Karoly D'ulin and Shada D'ukal. The real Tonnika sisters showed up at the Mos Eisley Cantina only to see Han Solo shoot Greedo. Imperial Stormtroopers came in to investigate and saw who they thought were Brea and Senni Tonnika and they arrested them, while the real Tonnika sisters escaped. So, maybe Hasbro could come out with two figures called Karoly and Shada. Nahh....wouldnt work. :( :(

24. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Who knows maybe it would work... ;)

25. Quickstrike34

Sep 27, 2001
    Its possible, but hasbor would proabbly have to avoid mentioningthe other set of sisters, andthan that way they could claim there is no relation whatsoever :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.