main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Wal-Mart Will Not Carry Major Star Wars Toys

Discussion in 'Collecting' started by Gobi-1, Jul 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gobi-1

Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 22, 2002
    I read this over at Sir Steve's Guide. Looks like Wal-Mart does it again.

From Sir Steve's

MISC: Wal-Mart Will Not Stock Jedi Council, Geonosis Sets, Vehicles!

SSG is fighting Star Wars' distribution problems with a letter writing campaign to all major Star Wars retailers. We're not going to just complain about the situation. We will not tolerate it.

Hasbro has informed us that WalMart WILL NOT carry:

1) Screen Scenes (good-bye Jedi Council, Geonosian War Room)
    2) Multi-packs (no Clones, Jedi, nor droids, no cantina wave 2)
    3) Unleashed (no Yoda, Han, Boba Fett)
    4) Playskool (good luck getting these anyway!)
    5) no Sandcrawler, not that there officially was going to be

And I did not ask about 12" or action fleet, but we can assume that Hasbro's statement that Wal-Mart will ONLY carry 3 3/4" carded and lightsabers translates into "Wal-Mart is going to suck," and it will be up to Target and Toys R Us to get us product and hopefully win our business unless you want to buy your figures online and pay for shipping, or dealer prices.

We thought you might want to let Wal-Mart know how you feel.

This post links to our letter-writing campaign thread that includes the text of a new, pre-addressed letter to "our friends" at Wal-Mart and a downloadable file in .txt format so everyone can quickly copy and print it.

I hope Arkansas (Wal-Mart's corporate) gets hundreds of these letters from our readers here! They're trying to cut out a source of our hobby!

Let them hear from you!

You can head over to Sir Steve's for the download here http://www.sirstevesguide.com/

This really stinks! Wal-Mart is the olny place I have to go to get Star Wars toys. The nearest Target and Toys R'Us is a 2 hr drive from where I live so I only get to them 2 or 3 times a year. :(

Wal-Mart = The Evil Empire

2. Mr.Neck or Yarael Poof

Mr.Neck or Yarael Poof Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 19, 2000
    As if collecting hasn't been hard enough this year... [face_plain]

This is terrible news, I buy most my figures at Walmart, but at least I have plenty of other stores in my area I can go to. I have many friends in the same situation as Gobi-1 in different areas, the only store near them that carries SW figures is the local Walmart, so they would basically be forced to either miss these items or try to get them online, which can be pretty pricey.

I'll gladly go print out and send in one of those letters, hopefully Walmart will get flooded with enough of them that they'll reconsider stocking these items.

3. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
    Well, my Wal-Mart never gets new figures anyways, and now that they're not stocking the Clonetrooper 3-Packs (which is all I really want), it's just one less store for me to bother wasting gas on. :D

One less store to check = happier Sithy. :D

4. JediCouncilBoy4

JediCouncilBoy4 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 20, 2001
    My Walmart doesn;t carry them now, so it doesn;t make a difference to me. Stinks for the rest of you with good Walmarts!

5. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    Actually, I would think they take a bigger loss when not selling the more expensive items. And when those larger (size) items become shelf warmers, they take up valuable space from product that is selling, be it Star Wars or not. From a financial standpoint, I understand and agree with their decision. I don't like it, but I understand.

6. Kung-Fu-Yoda

Kung-Fu-Yoda Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 26, 2002
    I don't really get what the reason behind this was in the first place, but anyway...

*kills Wal-mart* [face_devil]

-Yoda ;)

7. MidnightRain

MidnightRain Jedi Master star 4

Jul 16, 2003
    Well, my local Wal-mart already has a pitiful selection, so it's not much of a loss for me. I have to go to KB, Target or TRU if I want anything new. But still, I think Wal-mart is cutting their own throat. The Star Wars products are a huge seller with a wide range of age groups...there aren't a lot of brands that appeal to three year olds *and* thirty year olds.

8. Lord_Gita

Lord_Gita Former TFN FanFilms Staff star 4 VIP

Oct 5, 2000
    Local Wal-Mart haven't carried anything even remotely new for a year now, though I still go to be sure... Target and TRU have been my only good sources. No big change here except that I will go to Wal-mart less often now and buy less other things.

9. bitterlt

bitterlt Jedi Youngling star 1

May 24, 2002
    I agree ths sucks, but I don't think that Wal Mart will really care about our plight. I don't think star wars figures will make or break them.

10. robertyodarugenstein

robertyodarugenstein Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 9, 2002
    I wish that I would have seen this thread first beacuse I posted this story in the another one. Sorry.

The only thing that I have gottin a Walmart this year was the Legos. I have not bought one Hasbro toy from them this year. I look at it like this one less story to go to and they will not be getting my money.

I'm hoping that Target and TRU pick up the slack. If Not I will have to order even more on line

11. Gobi-1

Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 22, 2002
    Well hopefully they will get some of the new figures.

12. OBIX1

OBIX1 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 7, 2002
    I really wish they wouldn't do this.the only other store near me is k-mart and they hardly have anything.

13. JediOverlord

JediOverlord Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 28, 2000
    This doesn't suprise me. My local Wal-Mart hasn't had anything new in the way of SW stuff in eons. It's nothing but the remnents of last year's stuff,like Cantina sets and Kamino Jango Fetts. It's gotten to the point I could care less about the 3 3/4" line,becuase I've barely seen any this year,but I don't want to.

14. Master-Fett

Master-Fett Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 25, 2002
    Since terget is only getting 2003 toys now... and k mart is k mart, im stuck to realy just tru!

excuse me

#%(*&^ $#%$&$!# # $ %&$#$^$ %!@

ok, im good

15. Emperor_Tikkes

Emperor_Tikkes Jedi Youngling

Jul 19, 2003
    This news does not bode well for my collection :(

16. Forcebewitya

Forcebewitya Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 7, 2002
    ugh! WAL-MART SUCKS!

first of all for the fact that I just found this thread. Second becuase I was told they would be getting new figures in today, so I went and they didn't (of course). So Wal-mart should just go die now....

Forcebewitya!

17. RogueWompRat

RogueWompRat Jedi Youngling star 4

Feb 15, 2003
    It makes sense, Wal-Fart got really burned with those awful, craptastic cantina sets. Not really much of a loss to me, both Wal marts here have had nothing new since before Christmas, except that time when they special ordered some 03 stuff.

18. B'omarr

B'omarr Jedi Master star 6

Apr 7, 2000
    They'll change their minds when episode 3 rolls around. Until then, I'll just by my stuff from online retailers. It's what we had to do in the dead years after Episode 1, anyways.

19. Mara_Jade_Fan

Mara_Jade_Fan Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 1, 2002
    Yeah, I heard all this at Comic Con. The SirSteve's guide guy was in the same Hasbro panel as I was, just a few seats down from me. Not good news at all. :(

20. UniversalDestiny

UniversalDestiny Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 25, 2001
    It just goes to show you that Wal-Mart is positively Evil.

-UD

21. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    I wish they realized just how fast action figures sell. Like hotcakes.

22. Darthvaderocks06

Darthvaderocks06 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 27, 2003
    *@*&^@&##(&$^@#!@$%%#!!***&&&^%$$@#@$$%^&

arg, I complained to my Wal Mart Manager about the lack of toys and she said this: "Well, we can not order more SW toys just because we do not have a good selection, we need to wait until our current stock is almost out. "
    So I said to her: " Well that's okay, TRU has a great selection." and walked out! Haha Haha Her face was like :eek: !

23. Jedijace007

Jedijace007 Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 3, 2002
    Well guys, heres the opinion of someone who works at Wal-mart:

I go into work every day, and check the SW section every day, and its *almost* always the same thing: pegwarmers. I have one advantage over you other collectors out there. We have a computerized inventory system, that I have access too. I can scan a star wars toy, and find out A. How much it cost WM, B. how many are on order, C. when that order is slated to arrive. and so on.

First, in defense of Wal-Mart, if my math is correct, each SW figure, costs them $4.22. They charge us $4.88, and as a result, they only make $.66 a figure. Multiply that by 12 figs in a case, and all they get PER CASE, is $7.92 Thats not too much incentive to buy more figs, when they *MAY* just clog the shelves. Hence, all the Toy dept. managers saying "Nothing new until this sells".

My problem with that philosophy, is that BY THE TIME all that old stuff sells (if ever), the "new" stuff they finally put out, is no longer new, and will become pegwarmers themselves. I told the manager, they should put the new stuff out now, so they can sell it NOW while the selling is good. But "I'm a photo employee, what do I know about it" No getting through there. :(

Just put all these facts toward WM's recent decision to halt sales, and though it makes sense, as a collector, I am pissed off.

If we all send in these letters, we might just get something accomplished!

Time to print my letter (I hope I dont get fired ;) )

My ramble is done ;)

24. Darthvaderocks06

Darthvaderocks06 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 27, 2003
    It just goes to show you that Wal-Mart is positively Evil.

"Wal-Mart, strong in the Dark Side it is"

25. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999

No great loss here. I'd much prefer going to TRU or Target to look for SW toys, anyway. For one thing, most of the Wal-marts I've been to have a distinct stench (not sure what it is - plastic? cleaning fluid) that Targets and TRU's don't have...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.