main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Walk for Hope (v. 2.0)

Discussion in 'Archive: Salt Lake City, UT' started by Marold, Aug 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marold

Marold Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 17, 2001
    It's that time of year everyone. The City of Hope's Walk for Hope is coming upon us.

This is straight from the flier so bear with me.

WHAT: An anticipated 3,000 Utah residents will participate in the Walk for Hope to Cure Breast Cancer, a pledge-driven event supporting breast cancer research at the City of Hope National Medical Center and Beckman Research Institute. Participate in a timed run or a leisurely paced walk on your own or with family and friends as a Walk for Hope team. After the Walk/Run, enjoy the Health & Fitness Fair, refreshements and entertainment. Famillies, coporate teams, runners and walkers are welcome.

WHEN: SATURDAY, OCTOBER 18, 2003

COST: Pre-registration: $25 for adulst, $15 children 4-12yr., children 3 & under free. Event day registration: $30 for adulst, $20 children 4-12

WHERE: Sugarhouse Park - 1300 E 2100 S
    Adjacent parking available

WHY: Breats cancer is the second leading cause of cander death among women - more than 40,000 women with breast cancer will die this year alone. MOre than 2 million women have breast cancer and half don't even know they have it.

Walk for Hope to Cure Breast Cancer is a familiy-oriented event to support breast cancer research and treatment at the City of HOpe National Medical Center and Beckman Research Institute, a National Cancer Institute-designated Comprehensive Cancer Center. At City of Hope, our ongoing efforts to fight breast cancer address all aspects of the disease from research, prevention and early diagnosis to advanced treatement and ulitmately, in finding the cure.

2. Marold

Apr 17, 2001
    Yes, I got the packet for our team. Now I need a quick round about number of how many people wish to attend this event.

We had 7 people last year and I'm sure we all enjoyed it. I'd like to get the information on our team sent in hopefully by Friday so we can start getting donations in our name.

If you have any questions or comments, please post them here.

3. ondiv

ondiv Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 18, 2002
    Count me in Mary!!!

4. RenegadeFury

RenegadeFury Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 8, 2003
    I think I'll be able to attend.

5. ImDaBudge

ImDaBudge Jedi Youngling star 3

May 2, 2002
    You know I'll be there.

6. frio_carr

frio_carr Jedi Youngling star 3

May 25, 2002
    miss it again this year. I think not.

frio counts himself in.

--- sig ---

Yes, but which self do you want to be?

7. Marold

Apr 17, 2001
    Does anyone have a problem with me calling our Group Salt Lake Fanforce? I was thinking on doing the same with the Festival of tree's sign in sheet as well.

8. AliKatKelts

AliKatKelts Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 25, 2003
    I'm in for sure!

9. Pounce

Pounce Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 24, 2002
    Sounds good to me, Mary. I'll be there and I'll see if I can bring Auts as well.

Amy

10. Marold

Apr 17, 2001
    That will be your year anniversary too. It's been a great year since then as well. :D

11. Pounce

Sep 24, 2002
    Of course it has! The pounciest one ever!

12. Marold

Apr 17, 2001
    I don't think anyone could have said it better themselves.

13. The-Rookie

The-Rookie Jedi Youngling star 2

May 2, 2003
    I dont know if I can make it. I am going to Duchesne that weekend. Big b-day party for those with b-days in Oct. (There are lots in my family)

14. jada_marnew

jada_marnew Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 22, 2003
    Got to love a charity event with HOPE in it.

I do alot of work with the Race for the Cure down here in Tucson. I also teach post breast cancer classes.

Great cause, glad to see you all are involved!

15. Marold

Apr 17, 2001
    I had a luncheon with the City of Hope people today. I got some more information on the walk and ways that we can get money for our group to donate.

first off the race this year doesn't start until 9:00 am. for those of you who were there last year probably remember how cold it was. It should be warmer this year, so that's good. :D

Now then some ideas they have for raising funds for CoH are very similar to those of other organizations. They have these cardstock pink ribbons, very similar to the Childrens Miracle Networks hot air balloons. I got about 65 or so and we can sell them to people we work with or other people we think will help, for a dollar or more. There are slso the little pink ribbon pins that we can also get and sell as well. I think the price on those should be mroe but I wanted to talk to everyone and see what they thought.

if you think people you work with would like to purchase and help support our group in this effort or if they want to start a group up of there own, let me know.

also if you are able to raise a certain amount of money, there are prizes awarded for different levels. I'll have to get the prizes again and the amount you need to have donated before you can recieve that item.

I've also got the wavers and the sign up brochers if you don't wish to do it online. But remember, if you do register online Sutters Home will also donate $5 in your name to City of Hope along with the $25 registration fee.

Any questions ask them here.

Thank you all for being so willing to do this once again.

16. Pounce

Sep 24, 2002
    I don't remember having to sell stuff last year. What's up with that?

Amy

17. Marold

Apr 17, 2001
    I didn't know about all this other cool stuff last year.

You don't have to sell anything, but if you'd like to sell some of it you are more than willing to. I just helps to get more money for the research. The people at my work are very 'happy' to donate. :D It's kind of cool to see the pink ribbons near peoples desks and stuff. If you don't want to sell, I'm not going to force it upon anyone.

18. jada_marnew

jada_marnew Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 22, 2003
    My daughter and I raised about $200 dollars between us. We used the prizes as gifts to our major supporters. I also bought shoelaces with the pink ribbon (they were like $2.50) to thank other supporters).

This is a great event, very positive.

And I'm jealous that you start at 9am! Here in the Old Pueblo we start at 6:45 a.m.!

19. ondiv

Nov 18, 2002
    Mary, I'll be able to take about 20 of those pink ribbons to sell; I know a group of women that want to help out with our group.

Also, which walk are we participating in?
    10 a.m. 5k Timed Run
    10:05 a.m. 5k Timed Walk
    10:10 a.m. 5k Leisure Walk

One more thing:
    Do you think it would be possible to have those FF shirts you were talking about finished in time for the walk? I think it would be really cool to have matching shirts to identify ourselves as a group :D

20. Marold

Apr 17, 2001
    We can't seem to decide on a design for a shirt.

I'll get you the ribbons and we usually do the leisure walk. Gives us time to talk and just relax, not push ourselves.

21. kita_pounce

kita_pounce Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 6, 2003
    *grumbles* I wanna go!! Why do I have to work on saturdays?!?!? WHY!?

22. The-Rookie

The-Rookie Jedi Youngling star 2

May 2, 2003
    That is UEA weekend, we students have a four day weekend. Yippee....trouble here I come.
    But then again, by then I will need a break from all the homework.

I can confirm that I wont be participating in the walk. I am definitely going to Duchesne that weekend.

23. Marold

Apr 17, 2001
    If you wish to only spend $25 on registration for the walk, you'd better do it by the 10 of this month or you'll have to register at the walk and it will be $30 then.

For those of you who are participating in the walk, did we want to meet a head of time? If so where and waht time? I have all the paper work that needs to be signed so you don't end up sueing City of Hope for falling over your own 2 feet or something like that. Also it will make things move faster if we get the money a head of time and total it all up before handing it in.

24. ondiv

Nov 18, 2002
    so wait. Do we pay in advance for $25, or do we pay when we get there for $30? Wouldn't it be smarter to pay in advance.... And if we are, how do we tell them that we are part of the FF team?

25. Marold

Apr 17, 2001
    That's why we meet a head of time and go over together. I need to check the team in and they'll give me the rest of the stuff I need.

Yes it makes more sense to register early, but for some of us the internet hates our credit cards and the Phoenix office missplaces your registration form. Lots of headaches there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.