main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Walking With Dinosaurs: The Terra Nova Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by BobaMatt, Apr 28, 2011.

1. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    I like dinosaurs entirely too much to tolerate the lack of a dedicated thread for the upcoming, Steven Spielberg produced time travel show Terra Nova. New trailer is up!

Ghost likes this.
  2. Kol_Skywalker

Kol_Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 9, 2006
    That looks slightly alright! :)

3. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    I think the dinosaur attacking the truck in the preview is a Carnotaurus sastrei, which makes me think this either takes place in South America or it's geographically inaccurate. Even Disney's Dinosaur had the courtesy to acknowledge that they shouldn't be that far North.

[face_worried]

No one? Okay...

4. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Could be an alternate reality.

5. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    I can't get excited by just Spielburg's name.
    United States of Tara, Transformers 2, Transformers, Indianna Jones 4, Lovely Bones, Letters from Iwo Jima/Flags of our Fathers... the best is Mediocre, and the worst unbelievable Crap.
    Really, the last thing he was involved with that I liked was the 2 episodes of Band of Brothers. Then I have to go all the way back to the 1st Shrek movie... ...10 years ago.
    Granted, I haven't seen all of his work, but I won't go out of my was to watch something just because his name is on it.

Now, just looking at this trailer... It seems like they're saying that the humans 136 years in the future have the ability to go back in time to prehistoric Earth and are going to found a colony there. UM... yeah... Uh, there's the little matter of making sure they don't disrupt the fossil record? And if you know that there's going to be an event that leads to wiping out all life on the planet, Why would you set yourselves prior to that date? Even if the other theory is true--that the dinosaurs all just evolved into birds or died out, there's the fact that you'd still be interfering with your own planet's history and creating a society for which there is no record. So either it failed, or you are going to create a paradox. And how to they counter the thousands of light years that the Earth has covered since whatever past era? And if you could cover that distance, why not just go to a different planet?
    It is entirely possible that they will address all of this or have an explanation, but I'm skeptical. OK and annoying.

6. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    Yep.

I sort of envision this overlapping, where the civilization just keeps steamrolling itself, and then going back to before they arrived and starting over. Also, how do they invent time travel and not have the technology to, say, colonize Mars?

7. Likewater

Likewater Jedi Master star 4

Dec 31, 2009
    Colonize mars? hell putting up some O'niell cyilanders or a torus station?

Ripping a hole in space time?

Why not go back 120 years and kick the worlds butt into gear to by creating a tech firm that comes up with "Innovations" and has the objective of getting humanity ready for space. Make less blunders, mitigate environmental damage.

8. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    I'm kind of in the same boat as Koohii. I'll give it a shot but not gonna get hyped up for it.

9. Tholain

Tholain Jedi Youngling star 1

May 12, 2011
    It looks like a not bad show, nothing special.

10. Obey Wann

Obey Wann Former RMFF CR & SW Region RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 14, 2000
    It looks like Avatar 2: This time with time travel.

I'm not impressed. It would be far better if this was a colonization of some other planet, not a time travel one. That just opens up too many problems, like the ones pointed out above.

11. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    The premise of this article seems likely. But then, in this article, Alex Graves says "No Sleestaks," referencing Land of the Lost. I wonder.

I'm interested in the idea of dinosaurs "we haven't seen before."

12. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    Bump.

Show premieres tonight. I'm watching it currently.

13. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    The pilot just ended. The relationship between the father and the son seemed a bit cliche, but otherwise it was a fun ride.

14. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    Yeah, I liked it. I'm a dinosaur nerd, so I'm pretty sure they're in South America. What's more, I'm hoping in the future there's less of a sense that the carnivorous predators are big dumb monsters. Besides that though I really really enjoyed the characters - the relationship between the father and son is cliche, but I think that's largely because all of his kids are cliches.

Kids are hard to write.

15. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    Did anyone besides me kind of get a Quarritch vibe from Commander Taylor?

16. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    I definitely did. They played the same basic role, and the background of the village and the forest surroundings were enough to remind me of Avatar.

It was an OK pilot. I wasn't thrilled by it, but I wasn't turned off by it either.

17. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I rather enjoyed that more than I expected to. I think Lang did a great job of distinguishing Taylor from Quarritch, despite the similarities in the roles. He could have easily just played the role the same way, but made the extra effort there.

So, what do you think the mystery is about? The 6'er lady mentioned "control the past, control the future"- maybe they're not entirely in a new timeline afterall?

18. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    I don't know what the connection is, but my theory is that there is a connection between Taylor's missing son, the Sixers and the mathematical equations. I would also speculated the equations explain the underlying physics of the time fracture.

19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    There's definitely a connection between his son and the equations- she said as much at the end there. But it seems his son is a rogue element unaligned with either the 6'ers or Terra Nova, but both the 6'er lady and Taylor are aware of his actions/intentions.

20. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    I felt they were pretty much the exact same character, but that's not a bad thing as I felt he was the best part of Avatar. :p

21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I think they're different characters in similar positions. Taylor does not have the combat-itch psycho element to him that Quarritch had, and Taylor comes across as genuinely fatherly to Terra Nova's inhabitants. By contrast, Quarritch just uses an act to either convince people his way is right or weed out those who don't.

I mean, if it was Quarritch, he woulda genuinely have wanted to take on that Carno by himself as opposed to the ruse Taylor did.

22. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    Did you come up with this theory because the entire last scene of the episode was dedicated to establishing that very connection?
    [face_peace] :p
    My guess is that the crappy timeprobe explanation is exactly that - a crappy explanation given to the populace so that they don't ask too many questions.

23. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    The whole time probe thing just felt kinda unnecessary. Unless they can weave that into later stories well, it will be one of those "By the way, we've sent this random probe through something resembling a Stargate, and it just happened to land right here, because no one can pick it up with their bare hands."

Hopefully we find out more about the equations in tonight's episode. Taylor made a point of it to stay away from the rocks; will someone catch him there at some later point?

24. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    If this show keeps being a bore fest like this and ratings don?t get better, I am certain it will be deader than Firefly in a few episodes. I just can?t get invested in the show if the actors don?t seem to even care giving a performance and if teen drama takes up half the episode of the sci-fi show with guns and dinosaurs I actually want to watch.

The SG 1 special always springs to mind when they spoof the show if it were with teenagers, sadly in Terra Nova that is the show we get.

25. Magellan_the_Cat

Magellan_the_Cat Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 21, 2003
    Episode 200, with the title "200".