main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Walking with Star Wars

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by ShaneP, Apr 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    How's this for an idea?

A miniseries called Walking in the Star Wars Universe using the same format as the other BBC "Walking with" shows.

You could visit different planets and their cultures and creatures.

Have some episodes focus on planets in the Outer Rim(Geonosis, Kamino, Tatooine), then middle(Naboo, whatever else), and core(Coruscant).

It could have Tuskens and their culture. Banthas, Opies, Dewbacks, Jawas, etc.

Even have a SW actor narrate it too.

What do you think?

2. Blackout

Blackout Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2000
    Mmmmmm, Rancor, ni-i-i-i-ice! :D
    A one-off show would be hella cool! Dunno about a series though ;)

{||||| ?||} ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

3. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    How many episodes were the other Walking with shows?

4. The_General_Grievous

The_General_Grievous Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 8, 2005
    Walking with EU

That would have to be an episode foucing om EU

5. jangoisadrunk

jangoisadrunk Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 7, 2005
    That is the best idea I have ever heard. I love the "Waliking With..." shows. If only those pricks on The Discovery Channel would realize no one cares about watching two dudes argue over motorcycle customization, we could get back to real Discovery Channel style programs. Frakin' Mark Burnett must be the programing director over there.

6. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    Imagine exploring Tatooine with the narration:

"And here is a Jawa. Jawas are scavengers and find ingenious uses for other people's waste.

They could then explore a Jawa meeting with Sandcrawlers and maybe even....the inside of a sandcrawler. Always wanted to know what one of those looked like.

Do they have a big steering wheel that takes 4 or 5 Jawas to operate?

They could show the Krayt Dragon, Bantha herds, even Jabba.

Here is a Hutt, Jabba.

7. Blackout

Blackout Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2000

Do they have a big steering wheel that takes 4 or 5 Jawas to operate?

Nah, they use an old NES controller :p
    [image=http://www.gamestop.com/common/images/lbox/900276b.jpg]

{||||| ?||} ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

8. Gwas

Gwas Jedi Master star 2

Dec 13, 2000
    I posted this a while ago in the Basher's Sanctuary.... [face_thinking]
    Date Posted: 5/5/04 2:12pm Subject: RE: Basher Sanctuary Episode 4: A New Forum

The 2006 Star Wars TV Project.

I feel the pull of the basher cause like never before when I hear people talking about this. Have you read some of the suggestions that people are making for what they'd like to see?

Live-action New Jedi Order?
    Young Tarkin adventures?

People! for the love of Star Wars, NO!

If it must be done, if they must do something to keep interest alive, then for goodness sake find something that won't damage the name of Star Wars forever. I've largely enjoyed the prequels up to now but I've found my fan limits if this goes ahead..........unless...

The ONLY thing. The only idea that I've ever thought could work and that I'd a ctually like to see TV-wise would be a sort of "in universe" documentory series.

Before you scream "heretic" I mean a small project with very high prodiuction values, something like a (one-off) 12 part series. Programmmes could go out quarterly, making it a bit of a TV event befitting the Star Wars name (steady ) and allowing the material to remain the highest quality possible.

Remember "Walking with Dinosaurs" when that was released? What about a concept along those lines following the fantastic menagerie of star Wars creatures in their natural habitats complete with narration. Can you imagine seeing a Rancor taking down it's prey? That is something I could get exited about.

Perhaps that could account for six of the twelve parts with another six chronicling different aspects of life in the Star Wars universe with each subject treated seriously in documentory fashion.

Subjects like "Trials of a Jedi knight" or "Life in a Ewok/Tusken village" or something similar?

All shot documentory style with zero acting or even dialogue aside from the narration itself. Make it all about the attention to detail in the culture. I can't think of other subjects right now but the anthropological backbone in Star Wars has always been very strong due to GL's personal interest in the subject so the material IS there, I'm sure.

I believe it's the strength of this facet of Star Wars that gives it so much resonance to many people on an almost subconscious level. The GFFA feels real.

The thing is, I see the GFFA as an incredible place where amazing stuff happened to the skywalkers and the other major participants, but where real, dare I say "ordinary" lives went on largely without incident for almost everyone else. To go the "heroes journey" route for others in a series would lessen the impact of the movies' events for me and as the EU has proved, would start to feel contrived.

For me, a huge part of the strength of Star Wars is the galaxy and the beings and cultures that populate it. This could be "celebrated" in a pseudo factual series and could, if handled with great care, even add some depth to the movies themselves.

Maybe this is a terrible idea that would be just as bad as all the others but I think it could work. Maybe it should just be left well alone.

Any thoughts?

So yes, this would be a fantastic idea......and I want royalties. :D

9. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    :eek: Gwas, Holy moley! As you know, I'm a frequent poster in the Sanctuary. How in Darth's name did I miss that?!

It is a great idea though. I'd love to see it.

BTW, in your post you mention 12-part series. Is that what Walking with Dinos was...12 parts?

I think it could be a great idea. Love your one about Jedi Trials too.

10. Gwas

Gwas Jedi Master star 2

Dec 13, 2000
    Shane, I wasn't suggesting you nicked my idea BTW. I just thought it was ironic. :D

I've come around to other ways to go since I posted that as I just can't see it happening. It would blow my mind to see something like that though. Can you imagine sitting in on Tusken Raider villiage life with a serious voiceover? Or the Rancor thing? I get excited just thinking about it.

I think we'll end up getting a drama which could have some potential. I must admit, as an old timer of 35, the idea of having Mark Hamill reprise his Luke Skywalker (my childhood icon) as an experienced Jedi Master gets me pretty excited as well.

We'll see.

EDIT: sorry, the Walking With.. series each has 6 parts, not including the specials like "Ballad of Big Al" etc. I said 12 because I think in this case 6 would leave me wanting whereas the normal US Season quantities are too high and would likely kill the quality.

11. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    No, I know you weren't suggesting anything. It's actually nice to see others were thinking the same thing.

Wow, your idea about Jedi Trials too......I wasn't even thinking about that. The possibilities.

BTW, did you see the March issue of GameInformer magazine with Jim Ward of LucasArts/Lucasfilm?

He mentions Star Wars Television showS, live-action and animation.

Sounds like more than one.

We can only hope.

12. Gwas

Gwas Jedi Master star 2

Dec 13, 2000
    Great minds think alike, eh? :D

I'm in the UK and didn't see that mag but I remember you mentioned that in another thread on this board. I just hope that they strive to deliver the best possible results. The cartoon series was fun for what it was and I wouldn't be against some more of that as long as there's some deeper stuff coming as well.

What made me think along the documentary lines originally was the work that LFL put into creating the Naboo wildlife. Whatever your personal feelings are towards TPM (let's not go there), LFL created an entire eco system when designing the planet, to ground the realism in our subconscious. The level of detail was astounding, considering how little of it actually appeared in the final film. There was a CD-ROM dedicated to this (released in 1999 I think) that I wish I'd picked up. I may still try to get it now.

Given the variety of worlds and environments (Felucia for example?) the possibilities are limitless for this sort of thing.

LFL? Just kidding about the royalties thing. MAKE THIS NOW!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.