main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Walkouts/Applause?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Marathonjedi77, Dec 28, 2017.

1. Count Zero

Count Zero Jedi Master star 4

Jul 20, 2014
    If somebody walks out of a movie the second time they went to see it, i'd have to call them a fool.

2. jimmycrank

jimmycrank Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 29, 2015
    Neither Walkouts or Applause, though I've never Experienced applause for any movie I've ever gone to see at the Cinema where I live

3. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    Been to three showings, at three very different movie theaters.

0 audible laughing during the Leia scene.

At my showing a few days ago there was reaction during the film, a lot of post show buzz and chatter, but no applause until Carrie's dedication came up, and then they let loose.

Did we go to the same IMAX theater? That's almost identical to me 3rd viewing, except the applause came for Carrie's name.

But lots of people in that audience seem to LOVE those damn porgs. The Chewie scene at the campfire got so many ahhs and giggles at the porg reaction. And, more than any other showing, a lot of laughter most of the jokes.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2017
    RiddleMeThis likes this.
  4. Birkendoc

Birkendoc Chosen One star 4

Sep 20, 2001
    I live in the upper Midwest. Rural at that. No one applauds at any movie. So in this part of the world, it's not a valid metric for whether a movie was good. But no one walked out.

DAR and jaqen like this.
  5. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I love the Leia/Force scene but I definitely heard an unflattering "Oh my God what" from behind me at the first screening.

That sort of stuff generally dies out by a film's second day in release because most people have seen or heard about a film's "moments" by that point.

jaqen likes this.
  6. wobbits

wobbits Force Ghost star 4

Apr 12, 2017
    On my third viewing one guy did walk out once he realized that Luke was dying.

7. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    That's 5 and a half hours into the film. Maybe his bladder just finally gave out on him...

Strongbow and jaqen like this.
  8. wobbits

wobbits Force Ghost star 4

Apr 12, 2017
    I thought that too but he never came back.

9. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    Interesting trend where the majority of people who posted about walk outs, booing, corpse crowds and folks gathering around to tear the film apart just so happens to be from people who themselves didn't like the film....

10. zackm

zackm Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 22, 2015
    I also noticed this trend. Peculiar.

Ender_and_Bean, jaqen and Ben-Solo like this.
  11. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    Agreed. The strawmanning is at absurd levels. Every person with a negative view of the film was in a cinema packed with the Gremlins tearing their seats out of the floor while everyone who can't seem to stand even the remotest criticism of the film had the good fortune to be in a cinema with people who were crying in wonder at every scene and tossed roses at the screen during the closing credits.

B3, Ben-Solo and jaqen like this.
  12. Revan51

Revan51 Jedi Knight

Nov 28, 2014
    I saw it once and didn't see anyone walk out. I was steamed up about some things but I enjoyed a lot of it too. For the record I don't like most of what they did but it was a decent movie. (I just consider it more of a marvel-fied Star Wars movie than a SW movie, but I digress).

I would only walk out of a movie that was absolutely terrible, and I would be going to get my money back. I've never been in that situation. Maybe if I had kids and saw the emoji movie or something awful like that?

I'm not on board with calling everyone who disliked the movie "haters", but I bet a lot of people are making up "PEOPLE ARE WALKING OUT!!!1111one!!!" stories and posting them.

Oh I did technically walk out to pee, but I came back.

Birkendoc likes this.
  13. Darth Sith Saber

Darth Sith Saber Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 24, 2016
    I noticed that people laughed in places and reacted like "woah!" in places, all positive but no loud cheering or anything.

Regarding the discussion about the haters of the film, I understand being disappointed with the direction of Luke, frustrated by the lack of answers to their questions, and irritated by a couple of scenes or plot points, but I cannot for the life of me understand how anyone who likes SW could dislike it, I absolutely loved it both times I saw it! I

14. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    Agreed. Some of the choices made to get us to the third act open themselves to scrutiny but the third act is still the payoff and it was everything the 7 year old Star Wars fan in me could have ever wanted to see.

Well, except for Broom Kid. 7 year old me never wanted to see Broom Kid. But, that is entirely beside the point.

Darth Sith Saber and Count Zero like this.
  15. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    I would love to see one person who strongly disliked this film acknowledge an audience experience that didn't magically reflect their filter.

I can do that with RO. My audience seemed quite into it. In later discussions with the people I went with, I learn that some didn't even notice Tarkin was CGI, while it pulled me out of the moment.Great vibe after my single viewing, which really left me wishing I "got" the film the way so many others did. I've been to films I immensely enjoyed, but the audience was stone cold (second viewing of AOTC comes to mind).

The only times I've experienced leaving a film that I hated and large portions of the audience seemed to was Halloween: Resurrection and Batman Vs Superman. If you've seen either, it's not a stretch.

zackm likes this.
  16. Diego Lucas

Diego Lucas Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 12, 2015
    No walkouts in my 3 sessions, strong applause in my first view, in the day of the release, and okay applause on the other sessions.

In the humour scenes, first session people laughed a lot in the jokes, in others, was only on the best jokes.

jaqen likes this.
  17. zackm

Dec 22, 2015
    I saw RO with a friend that's also big into SW. After the movie I was thinking to myself, "Man, that was really underwhelming and kinda all over the place." But he says to me "Dude, that's the best SW movie ever made."

I was super confused.

18. Cantina Bassist

Cantina Bassist Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 5, 2012
    Oh look who's talking. I see the double standard is in full force. Detractors of the film can be ridiculed as much as anyone likes but anything coming back the other way is "baiting". Yep youre oh so tolerant of other opinions all right.

You should be thanking me. These films will continue to plummet in quality unless those who choose to see them for what they are speak out. We're the Quality Control Dept.

But Im just another bot right?
    No wait, Im anti humor in Star Wars right?
    No wait, I just hate diversity
    No wait Im just clinging to head canon
    No wait, Im just colluding with the Russians

Mod edit: Cut out the double standard talk. Nobody is allowed to call out the "other side" for their views. You may hate, love, or be "meh" on it, and you (all of you) are free to post why.

Do NOT, however, call out the "other side" because you think they're morons, incompetent, sticking their heads in the sand, gullible, tasteless, or just plain wrong. This is your last warning.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2017
  19. Birkendoc

Birkendoc Chosen One star 4

Sep 20, 2001
    Incorrect, that was six hours into the film.

20. zackm

Dec 22, 2015
    No wait, you're just really annoying.

Be critical of the movie. Tell us, in the appropriate thread, about the things you didn't like and we can all discuss those things.
    But that's not what you're doing. You're just spamming every thread with "this movie is terrible."

21. Count Zero

Count Zero Jedi Master star 4

Jul 20, 2014
    The words "spoiled," "brat," and "tantrum" are looking appropriate, at the moment.

22. Cantina Bassist

Nov 5, 2012
    PK EDIT: Uncalled for.

23. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    Opening day just about the whole front row walked out when Ben reached out his arm to Rey. Lol

24. Cantina Bassist

Nov 5, 2012

ezekiel22x likes this.
  25. zackm

Dec 22, 2015
    PK EDIT: Come on guys.