main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Walmart & Tunick... finito!

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthTunick , Dec 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Yeah, you have to watch out for the scams but the sites are a good way to get your resume out there.

2. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Don't go for any deals that promise a certain amount of money per month, but you have to pay a certain sum to register.

heels1785 likes this.
  3. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    The best "lead" I've had lately: took an on-site assessment at an Office Depot today; they'll call and/or e-mail to see if I did well enough to warrant further consideration. I'm nervously cautious about this, though it helps that the manager I talked to today was rather impressed with my Walmart experience.

And about that Walmart experience-and I can't believe I've come to this point to feel this way-but I miss it. Yeah, the obvious thing missed is the paycheck, but there are other things too: daily routines, the co-workers that I did like, stuff of that nature. I regret not looking for other work (on a consistent, daily basis) when I was still employed there... that was a huge, huge mistake. Also, in a roundabout way, I kind of set-up my own firing: I had two severe disciplinary issues in 2012, each for calling out (one on Super Bowl Sunday, the other for a job interview); I was given "D-Days" (the highest disciplinary action Walmart can take against an employee without firing them) because of that... if none of that happens, then I'm not on their radar, and that incident in December of 2012 becomes no big thing. Even with all that was/is wrong about that place, I'd rather be stuck in that particular hell than unemployment hell... it was much more manageable in many respects.
    :p

4. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
    Unemployment sucks, but yeah, it's always best to look for a new job while you currently have a job. I was finally able to quit a job I despised because I got hired and eventually promoted at a new job. I now work only a few days a week and make more than I was at the previous job (where I worked more than double the hours I currently work, with a lot less respect and genuine appreciation).

Maybe try branching out into different industries if you're desperate.

5. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    Unemployment can sometimes be the best motivational source around. It easily allows you to refocus your priorities in both the short and long term. It really lit a fire under my seat and uncovered an awesome work ethic which I didn't know I had until I landed a job I actually cared about (my current job).

If the manager was impressed by your experience then I would say that it is a VERY good sign. I would strongly suggest to keep applying for any opening you see to which you remotely qualify for as your persistence WILL pay off. I would also suggest looking into getting some higher education under your belt and speaking with someone about the issues you have with your anxiety about school. The nice thing about school is that it is temporary but that the payoff is anything but that.

Darth_Invidious likes this.
  6. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003

Which one. WHICH ONE IS IT DAMNIT.

DarthTunick likes this.
  7. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
    The one that sells office stuff.

8. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000

A location here in the SF Valley, a building that used to be a paint store, and a public library before that.

9. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Obi-Zahn Kenobi Force Ghost star 7

Aug 23, 1999
    I hear they have a lot of jobs in North Dakota.

10. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    North Dakota: where fossil fuel development is raping the land and employed people are homeless. [face_flag]

11. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Obi-Zahn Kenobi Force Ghost star 7

Aug 23, 1999
    I didn't say that they were jobs that anyone wants to have.

12. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    So, Office Depot finally got back to me... I will not be hired there. Meh, goddamnit... the job search goes on, etc.

However, I've filed/sent a FAFSA application, as I'm very likely/serious in going back-to-school this fall. Small steps, of course. Need to take certain courses to be able to move on from the community college onward -maths are involved, sadly-, but I'm not sure if I'm going to dive right into that, or to take other classes just to get back into the school groove/routine. I hope this turns out well-enough, given my intellectual (well, personal) misgivings about the whole school experience.

13. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I don't understand - this grammatical construction seems logically sound, and it's all English, but the arrangement has created an impossible statement. This could be a new type of paradox.

14. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Mathssssssttthhhh was my worst subject (it's boring and that's a fact, Ramza), and I was happy that instead of Calculus I could get away with "Liberal Arts Math." My brother's university had something similar, so it's a thing. Trouble is, you need to be in the arts or humanities. For some reason it won't fly in the sciences.

15. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000

That's a type of degree -even with some interest that I do have- I won't be pursuing; some thing involving Communications, Poly-Sci, stuff like that would be more up my alley.

16. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    I'm sure if you whine loud enough, Ramza will help you with your math homework. :p

I once tried to get math help from Mar17swgirl but she totally humiliated me- told me that she wasn't going to help me, because it was "kindergarten stuff," and that I should be ashamed of my dumb self. So yeah.... I got my own math tutor.... female dog. :p

17. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    Tunick, the worst thing you can do is to be afraid of the math.

I had a very fruitful and positive community college experience for which I am very grateful. There's a way that community college is different from normal college that's hard to pin down. Crazier, of course, but that's all part of the fun of it. I should know, having been to two different universities to be able to make the comparison. Community college is not just the place of second chances, but quite often third and fourth ones, too. Thanks to my experience at one, I was able to decide and make peace with who I truly am.

I took an algebra 2 level class, a requirement for transfer, no less than three times and failed every. single. time. I simply didn't want to do the work, at first, especially since I was bitter about having already successfully, but barely, passed algebra 2 in high school. But before long, that pig-headed stubbornness turned into a genuine fear of math, and even a burgeoning belief that I just wasn't good at the subject. Finally, I had to enroll in a special program and drop my pride, because I wouldn't be allowed to enroll in the class a fifth time, should that be necessary. So I did the class, got a tutor, who was wonderfully patient with me, and finally fulfilled the most arduous requirement for transfer (after also taking prob/stats with the same program, of course). As you're in CA, you'll probably go to a college with similar standards.

It's my honest belief that if I hadn't been afraid and just gotten a tutor, I would've passed the class the first time. The most important thing you'll need to do to prevail at math, especially algebra, is not to learn how to do a problem to get a correct answer, but after having learned how, to then proceed to the grind of repetitively doing similar problems over and over, day by day (not just the 30 or so problems that are provided with each section of each chapter), until you don't have to think about it anymore. Once you don't have to think about it, there will be no room for fear.

18. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    Coruscant 1) Yes, there's that specific-math standard down here for the L.A. community college district; what precise mathematical discipline is the minimum to transfer escapes me for the moment.

2) Even with its reputation among some folks, CC's indeed are the land of 2nd/3rd/4th chances, etc. I'm not sure exactly which chance I'm on, considering that I should have been out of LAPCC before the "infamous" Spring of '08, but I'm taking it anyway, even with the uncertainty how this will end.

3) It's a two-folded personal problem for me concerning math. First, it being an absolute requirement, in spite of what degree/field one hopes to obtain, is insanely off-putting (not that the sentiment is ground breaking of course... many people feel this way). Makes me want to avoid it (in a school setting) all almost all costs. Secondly, I'm just not very good at it anyway, with any part(s) that's too "complex". :p Sure, in theory a tutor could help to improve the skills a bit, but I just don't see how anyone could ultimately make me into a more-than-just-competent math person. It's not so much a fear of math, but rather an acknowledgement of my own limitations in that regard. If anything, I need to conquer, or at least put-up with better, my fear of dealing with school. I hope to experience, finally, that fruitful & positive CC experience that you had.

19. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    You are likely to be employed again in retail. You will likely be counting stock, ordering stock, or working a cash register. Math, math, math. When you can relate what you consider abstract concepts to a practical use, it will probably all fall into place.

20. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
    I do hope that none of the cashiers I come across in my transactions try to apply algebra to simple cash handling procedure. "What's x?" "Damn you, just give me my change!"

21. Zapdos

Zapdos Force Ghost star 5

Jan 7, 2013
    i asked ramza once. didn't understand a word he said

22. Jedi_Dajuan

Jedi_Dajuan Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 30, 2002
    You always have me for help too Tunick. I'm a math professor and teach a course which is likely similar to the one you'll be required to take. I can tutor online fairly easily.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

DarthTunick and harpua like this.
  23. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    See.... you got this.

24. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    So we've moved from tough love to coddling?

25. Jedi_Dajuan

Jedi_Dajuan Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 30, 2002
    Tough love did its job. He is finally going back to school. Now he needs some encouragement. And assistance where we can. I couldn't help with his other problems but I can with the math :)

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.