main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Walmart & Tunick... finito!

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthTunick , Dec 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    And as I mentioned earlier, that is fine, but some of the comments being made this evening could easily be misconstrued as mocking him and not being tough love or encouragement of some kind. I know such concepts are difficult for some folks here to grasp, but there is a difference.

2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I thought he did lose the beard or trim it?

I'm only going to throw out one suggestion here based on what I read about the interview:

Next time I would leave out the "you all do this so much better than Wal-Mart" and focus on what you can offer the store.

harpua likes this.
  3. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    Sorry to hear that Tunes.

Look, there are jobs you could start working at tomorrow if you really want to.
    They're not glamorous but day labor temp agencies can get you out there immediately. You need to just earn a paycheck, holding up a sign at passing cars, whatever.
    Then you can keep looking.
    The longer the gap time of not working the harder it will be to find a job.
    Also, unemployment benefits don't last forever.

4. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i don't know man. i should probably just let him speak for himself but i think tunick gets the different personalities who post here pretty well. he's not a child who needs his hand held. most everyone has offered words of condolence and encouragement. vin's gonna be vin. not really sure what you want.

5. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Jokes are the only method of hugging over the internet that we have at our disposal. :(

6. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Also, being that you're getting back into school, apply for a work study... campus jobs are nice, and it'll give you some new experience to add to the resume. You gotta jump on that right away, though (like, tomorrow morning). Those jobs fill up fast.

7. Zapdos

Zapdos Force Ghost star 5

Jan 7, 2013
    yeah what tom said. i dunno if my post had anything to do with this at all, but that was actually me reaching out. i may suck at it but i'm pretty sure tunick gets the sentiment. there's really no use in you getting offended on his behalf if this is something he wouldn't get offended by, himself.

harpua likes this.
  8. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Sorry to hear they turned you down, Tunes. Now go apply somewhere else. Fight fight fight etc.

harpua likes this.
  9. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Seriously consider Starbucks. They have a store on every corner, so the odds of openings somewhere are probably rather high and they seem to take unbelievable care of their employees.

10. Darth Morella

Darth Morella Force Ghost star 6

Apr 5, 2004
    Oh man, sorry to hear you didn't get the job. I don't have much to offer in the way of advice other than keep trying and do not let this little setback discourage you.

11. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    They weren't offensive to me at all. I was merely pointing out that the sarcasm wasn't all that helpful.

12. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    I worked at Starbucks for 2 weeks... I would say that for the right kind of personality, it's amazing. It's very calming and smells amazing all the time, and it's easy work. It's *very* easy work. It would be a good temp gig. Not to mention how LA has a starbucks on every corner.

13. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005

Keep in mind, though, Tunick is very familiar with this place. He knows this brand of humor well, and he knows that he is loved. He's probably laying on the couch, stuffing his face with chips and watching sports right now. He'll go to bed, wake up, and start over tomorrow. I think everybody who has posted in this threads means well and cares. Vin is Vin, and Tunick knows that.

14. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Yep - and one more addition when it comes to food, just a thought. Per their website, there are 10 Panera Breads in and around LA. I know that they hire overnight bakers to prepare the next day's bread and pastries, and I believe they generally offer 2-3 dollars per hour more for those positions - shift is 10p-6a. If you are used to, and like being up late and think you can swing that, then it may be worth exploring.

15. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    I can be brutally honest with him. He knows it comes from a good place.

harpua likes this.
  16. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Sorry to hear about the job, Tunes. I do agree with harps that a work - study program would be a good thing to look into.

17. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I applied for Target when I was a teenager. After using the computer kiosk (or was it a phone? lol I'm old) I was immediately interviewed by one manager or another. I then waited around an hour to be interviewed by another manager. They asked, "Are you willing to be a shopping cart attendant? It pays the same as a cashier." I thought to myself, "**** yeah, I won't have to deal with people as much!" So I said, "Yes." Maybe that was a trick question. They certainly gave me the impression that a position was guaranteed. I think I had to wait a couple weeks until the application expired. ****ers.

It may not have been anything you did wrong, Tunick. I'd say it most likely was not.

18. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    Have applied to Target, too. Never even got a response, so, Tunes, you got that much, at least. :p

19. AaylaSecurOWNED

AaylaSecurOWNED Jedi Master star 6

May 19, 2005
    the irony.

I agree with Even somewhat. I'm not sure you messed up the interview. So much of the hiring process is arbitrary that there could have been a million other reasons you didn't get the job, many of which might not have had anything to do with you. Having been un-/under-employed for a couple years recently before landing a dream job, I can say from experience that a LOT of job-searching disappointments have more to do with the market and the other applicants and quirks of the process than about reflections on your own abilities or anything you did or your worth as a candidate. (I'm also not sure why the thread is monomaniacally focused on your beard. IMO, the trim you gave it made you look plenty professional enough for a Target warehouse job.)

That being said, I also agree with harps that a mock interview at some kind of career resource center would be a good idea. There's always things you can improve, and it'd be nice just to get SOME feedback and tips, and just do your due diligence on your interviewing skills.

Sorry about this disappointment, Tunick. Rooting for you.

20. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    I was just kidding when i said he changed his font color for his job interview. I thought that would be obvious.

I actually believe that, eight or nine months from now, he will return to his terrible red text and will say he went into some weird fugue status for most of 2014.

21. Rosslcopter

Rosslcopter Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    What did you say during the interview? We might be able to determine if there was something you could have done differently (though I agree its probably just random). Things that I've seen be deal breakers in interviews include saying negative things about past jobs, listing "Bikini Inspector" when describing what your perfect job would be, or not expressing genuine interest in the position for which you are applying.

Actually now that I think about it the bikini inspector guy was sporting a similar mustache to the one everyone has been decrying for you.

JoinTheSchwarz likes this.
  22. Condition2SQ

Condition2SQ Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    I really loathe the euphemisms employers use to let you know you aren't hired: "pursuing other candidates", "unable to offer you a position" etc. This one is especially awful. "But we appreciate your interest in Target"? Oh, what a great consolation.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  23. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I agree with people who said it may not be the interview. Massive corporate structures often have no rhyme or reason to who they hire.

However, I also definitely agree with people who have offered the advice/kick in the ass that you need to be applying to way more jobs. Now, I don't say this to mock but because I have a lot of friends in this situation who do the same thing and I want to smack them upside the head: it's true that you get complacent when living at home. I'm not saying move out. I'm saying that in my experience a lot of the people I know living at home will apply to a job, then sit back and play video games for a couple weeks until they hear about that one job.

No, as harps said, you have to treat the job hunt itself like a job. You should be out there applying to anywhere and everywhere you are remotely qualified for: retail, food services, unloading jobs, hell even janitorial (I know that's stigmatized, but one of my best friend's dads has been a school janitor for 30 years and does decently). I'm guessing you don't have a drivers' license since you take the bus everywhere, or I'd recommend something like FedEx.

harpua and anakinfansince1983 like this.
  24. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    Oh man, what a day... what a weekend. :p

[​IMG]

Had a previously scheduled excursion with my brother & 2-mutual friends of ours (in celebration of one of those friend's birthday) at the Santa Monica Pier/adjacent beach-area for today, and given all that's gone on in my personal life over the past week or so, a day like today was sorely needed. That picture there was taken on the side of the pier facing towards Malibu, about 80 minutes or so before sunset... 'twas the most relaxing & nice view of the day.

harpua Still a work-in-progress concerning school (and you're not the only one today to suggest I go back to that full time), but I'm still hoping to find the right solution & path moving forward in that regard. I didn't exactly plan, nor did I want to jump in full-time concerning school, but now I may have to.

And yes, my brother is trying/will try to get my a job at CVS. We'll see what happens in that regard.

I have (though not specifically cooking jobs... I can't cook worth a ****. I can barely make a decent plate of scrambled eggs. :p ), though that's gotten nowhere thus far, though admittedly I've look in that area less often than other lines of work (retail, warehouse-related stuff, office work, radio-related work, service industry work at motels and/hotels, Staples Center jobs).

I've had a few interviews, more than 2, but I've lost count... been persistent with many of the applications, but not all of them, and that's been a mistake. A bad mistake. Also, with some of my past persistence, I was too annoying about... a job chance at Vons was lost last October due to calling that store once too many times, pissing off the hiring manager, and well, that-was-that. There are many mistakes I've made in the past, some I've changed in my applications & correspondences back (the Vons mistake hasn't, and won't happen again), and some I can't change: didn't have any savings of real significance at-the-time I was fired from Walmart, so my financial troubles are in-part due to that; should have looked for other work more seriously during my Walmart tenure, specifically during that last 2-years (2011-2012) there; should have not done so much stupid nonsense specifically in 2012 (calling out too many times, which lead to 2-"D-Days", Walmart's highest disciplinary action before a firing takes place... if none of that happens, then in spite of the December 2012 (detailed on page 1 of this thread) incident that got me canned, I'd still be there... and well, being in that hell is sure-as-hell a lot better than being stuck in this unemployment hell. I let that place get-to-me... despite all of its sins, etc, there are ways to make a Walmart-job manageable without losing it (before getting new/better work), and I failed at that. That perhaps is my biggest regret, one I can't change.

You'd be correct in that assessment, tom. Perhaps to a fault on some occasions, but I don't mind be so blunt/open/honest in sharing a lot of details about my personal life here. If I didn't think so highly of this place -dramas, warts & the occasional bad memories aside- , then I wouldn't, but I do have a more-cheery ultimate outlook about the JC than a lot of folks do (even if that doesn't come across well sometimes, due to my being a curmudgeon) , and that's fine. It's not the same for everyone, nor should it be.

heels1785 You alluded to this earlier, and I've mentioned some of these details via PM's/in select other threads, but I'll give the full cart of family & friend troubles here: Had not 1, but 2-family deaths this summer (my uncle's wake/funeral service is this upcoming Thursday, and that's going to be extremely tough); a very dear friend of mine (one who lost his mother to cancer last Spring) is having an incredibly difficult time, and presently is in 2-support groups... even though we're close friends, and he knows he's got my support, I almost feel inadequate to help him in many respects, as I'm having great trouble in empathizing with what specifically he's going through & what he's gone through in the past (of which I will not get into here); another friend of ours has reappeared in our lives this summer, after spending sometime "off the grid" (not literally, but in closing old social circles of his), and his making a good-faith effort to account for his absence, etc... but naturally that sort-of-thing brings upon many emotions.

In the past, I would have dealt with all of this in destructive, counterintuitive ways... stuff that led me down the path to what occurred to me that fateful Leap Day-Weekend in 2008. However, that's not the case this time around... in spite of all of my current ills, all the big-picture stuff that seems to be out-of-control, I've been focusing on the little things, the stuff that makes life worth while, positive things I can control. Walking, username-changing, taking a more aplomb/positive-minded attitude about it-all (despite the fact that I'm inherently a curmudgeon), among other stuff. What happened in '08 will not happen again.

Anyway, I've read through the rest of all the activity in this thread today, and I like-to-think I covered a lot of what came up there with this post; I'd like to respond specifically to everyone, but it's been a long post already & quite the long day/weekend... for the record, though, the position I applied to at Target was one in theor receiving area, and Walmart came up in relation to my past job-duties there, specifically in receiving (as I spent 5+ years working out of that department), and the overall differences in culture between the two-corporations (ie: in the public's perception... all I said bad about Walmart was that "people, on the whole, seem to think more highly of Target").

AaylaSecurOWNED and Coruscant like this.
  25. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    GO TO BED, BUTTFACE

lol... I'm a mom. I can do this **** all day long. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.