Walmart vs. K-Mart

Discussion in 'Archive: Your Jedi Council Community' started by Wormie2, Apr 16, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rico_Starblazer Jedi Knight

star 3
    but, but, but...Wal-Mart is a testament to the American dream! Wal-Mart is a glorious analogy to the success of our society! Wal-Mart will never go away, they will continue to get bigger. Do you know that the ultimate goal of Wal-Mart is that no one in the ENTIRE world will be more than 20 minutes away from a Wal-Mart store? I am not kidding you.

let's do the Wal-Mart Cheer

give me a W!
  2. Rico_Starblazer Jedi Knight

star 3
    Let me ask you this...where do you people buy Toilet Paper? Huh? Where do you buy laundry detergent? Where do you get Toothpaste for cryin out loud?
  3. Vertical Former Head Admin

star 6
    Rico is absolutely, positively right.

Wal-Mart's clientele may not be of the highest caliber, and generally there's a rule that when you're there, chances are you're the best looking person there, but the simple fact remains: You absolutely canNOT beat their prices. Period. The way they handle their supply contracts is absolutely amazing. I've talked to one of the supply contract managers out in Arizona, and it's unreal how cut-throat it is. They want the lowest price, period.

Buying toothpaste, toilet paper, advil, cleaning products, etc. anywhere buy Wal-Mart is absolutely 100% stupid.

So the people who shop there are sketchy. So what? I'd rather go to Wal-Mart and restock on my toiletries for $25 than go to some other store and pay upwards of $40 for the same stuff.

Don't judge Wal-Mart by who shops there.

BUT...

There's another thing to consider. The corporate mindset that rules Wal-Mart is absolutely disgusting. The outstanding lawsuits that company has against them are mind-boggling, and they couldn't care less. They treat their employees like crap from what I've heard, so I'm not really a big fan of their Corporate attitude.

However, until I'm well enough off to justify buying overpriced toiletries somewhere else for the sake of sticking it to Wal-Mart, I'll continue to save money by shopping there.

Vertical
  4. Rico_Starblazer Jedi Knight

star 3
    Vertical, you're right about the treatment of the employees...the benefits are laughable, the profit sharing program is a joke, and the management runs the 20% of the people who do any work into the ground.

And I always thought it was amazing how Wal-Mart could dictate prices to major sellers like Proctor & Gamble, Coca-Cola, and others...but the fact is, those companies simply cannot afford to NOT have their products on Wal-Mart's shelves...that would be corporate suicide.

In the case of P&G and coke, Wal-Mart not only dictates the price at which they will buy the products, they also outsource the logistics...coke sends guys in to STOCK THE COKE SHELVES IN EVERY WAL-MART AROUND THE WORLD.

Unbelievable. Anyone will tell you that the number one expense in retail, particularly Wal-Mart, is payroll. That's why you wait in line for one of the three cash registers that are open on saturday night...they send everyone home to save payroll and beat last year's figures!
  5. Kiki-Gonn Chosen One

star 6
    Correct, there's definitely an insidious side to Walmart. They pay their employees dirt and treat them like it (had a friend who worked there).
    They are also at the forefront of the movement to cheesify this country until every town/city looks identical. You can't find a town with more than 20 people in it that doesn't have an ugly WM at the center.
  6. Rico_Starblazer Jedi Knight

star 3
    you people still haven't answered my question...if you don't shop at WM, where do you buy toilet paper.

www.walmartsucks.com funny site.
  7. JediMaster22 Jedi Grand Master

star 8
    If you hate both Wal-mart and K-mart, focus on Target!!!
  8. Jedi_Jarvis Jedi Master

star 4
    Shop smart!

Shop S-Mart!
  9. Rico_Starblazer Jedi Knight

star 3
    No, target is just a frumped up "rich people's" Wal-Mart. They charge more, they don't maximize they're floor inventory area, they're space utilization is atrocious. Target is a gimmick, a fad...it will go the way of K-Mart and be squashed under the money making boot of Wal-Mart.
  10. JediOverlord Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    My town is pretty much dependent on the local Wal-Mart,but I don't mind going there,becuase they sell my favorite brand of beef jerky for less than what other stores in the area sell it for.
    The K-Mart I always knew and went to growing up that's in Grand Rapids,Michigan went out of buisness,probably becuase there's a Target directly across the street. The last time I went there was in the summer of '99 and that place was skanky! Star Wars Episode One figures all over the floor in the toy department,just scurvy looking.
    Anybody ever been to a Pamida? They're the Wal-Marts for really small towns. One just opened near me,and it isn't too bad,but it's like a dime store with electronics and groceries.
  11. BYOB_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I wonder which would win in a death match?
  12. dest83 Force Ghost

star 4
    I'm a Wal-Mart fan, but there is no way I'll ever go in on a Saturday afternoon ever again! It's a friggen madhouse.
  13. Dev Sibwarra Jedi Master

star 4
    Sam's Club bothers me far more than Wal Mart. They check for cards on the way in, and count what you have on the way out. The inside looks like some sort of government warehouse, designed to survive a nuclear war. I can't avoid the feeling that there's some sort of cult involved. ;)

BTW, Wal Mart backwards is Tram Law.
  14. Jedi_Master201 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Um, Wal-Mart? No competition. ;)
  15. Rico_Starblazer Jedi Knight

star 3
    In a deathmatch? definitly wal-mart...here's why.

they have over a million workers worldwide...superior numbers.

Their supplies would be continually replenished due to wal-marts in house logistics and distribution systems.

if all else failed they would just force weapon manufacturers to sell all of their products to wal-mart only, and eventually annihilate the competition.

16. Zephyr Xux Force Ghost

star 4
    I agree that Walmart is hands down the absolute best place to buy little odds and ends. I get all my cosmetics/toiletries (which as an incredibly vain person in school Walmart is a prayer answered) and trust me because I know, their prices are unbeatable. I also get all my workout clothes there; honestly--why pay big prices for Adidas and Nike just so I can sweat holes in them within two weeks? Sheesh; I'm all for high quality, brand name clothes from malls and whatnot but seriously, I'm also a big on being practical.

And no one has mentioned the fun factor of Walmart one can have at 3 in the morning on a Wednesday night/morning or stumbling in at dawn to pick up some exceptionally cheap Excedrin to dull that all to familiar "morning after." Convenience!

Though I'll admit that Walmart has it's share of society's bottum rung; I was in there last year a few days before Christmas, okay?! What in God's name was so important to get I've forgotten but I got shoved, yelled at, mistaken as someone else's family member, and stampeded by toothless children/senile oldsters/hormone overloaded preggos/hairy men/and people in all stages of morbid obesity.

And K-mart is just stanky.
  17. Vertical Former Head Admin

star 6
    "senile oldsters"

Best. Phrase. Ever.

Vertical
  18. JediMaster22 Jedi Grand Master

star 8
    >No, target is just a frumped up "rich people's" Wal-Mart. They charge more<

NOT TOTALLY TRUE!!!

While you are right, target LOOKS like Rich people's discount store...

I seen stuff cheaper at Target, Best Buy even than Wal-mart!

I KNOW what I am talking about!

And they have HOT chics working for Target , and I've yet to see any (hot employees) at K or Wal-marts.
  19. JediMaster22 Jedi Grand Master

star 8
  20. Rico_Starblazer Jedi Knight

star 3
    JediMaster22

if you have seen cheaper items at a wal-mart competitor then it is because of 1 of 2 reasons.

1 the stores are too far away to be considered "competition" for the particular wal-mart store you are recalling.

or if 1 is not true

2 someone at wal-mart isn't doing their job. department managers are supposed to spend at least 1 hour a week going to other stores, getting lists of their prices and lowering wal-mart's prices to undercut them.
  21. JediMaster22 Jedi Grand Master

star 8
    K-Mart has finally got it's Punishment [face_devil]

Did anyone hear it's going thru Bankrupcy right now??

Man, between K-mart and Target, Wal-mart, most people think K-mart worst store out of these.

I, for one am Glad, K-mart is Bankrupt. [face_devil]

They need to ACT up, and be cleaner, and let us have cheap Buys, you know.

Check the Latest News for the developments.

I don't know if K-mart will ever shut down, but I'd be glad to have 50% offs :D

I am SORRY if you work for K-Mart, start looking for other jobs, cuz this one is Unstable!!!

22. Double_Sting Jedi Master

star 4
    They both suck.

K-Mart is going chapter 11.
    Walmart got busted a while back for selling fake designer merchandise. (Although I would visit my local Walmart if Natalie Portman was staying there ;) )
  23. Double_Sting Jedi Master

star 4
    ps: Sam's club is better than Walmart (even though Walmart does own it)

It's like the difference between Lexus and Toyota. Toyota owns Lexus and so the Lexuses are really the high end Toyotas.

Walmsrt owns Sam's and Sam's is a high end Walmart.
  24. THX_Princess Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I come from a small town, and Wal-mart is the place to be! Open 24 hours! :D

Our K-mart is always understocked and understaffed. :mad:
  25. JediMaster22 Jedi Grand Master

star 8
    I think K-mart will close down hundreds of existing stores, and lay off thousands of employees.

I knew it was coming: the store is messy, had the fewest customers in my city.. stuff are pretty hi-priced (my Biggest complain)

But I like what they are doing for the future.

He said in the future, Kmart shoppers will see more updated technology such as self-scanning checkouts and ``a number of merchandising initiatives'' including new exclusive brand lines ''and a more expanded Martha Stewart presence.''

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.