main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Wanna see the OT on the big screen again?

Discussion in 'Archive: Cleveland, OH' started by Sache8, Nov 26, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sache8

Sache8 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2000
    Hi, I'm not a member of the fanforce, but I thought I'd just bring this up to your attention.

In January on either to 12th or the 19th (I can't remember offhand), the Civic Theater in Akron is showing the entire Original Trilogy, starting at 2 PM, with short breaks in between of course. The price is $6 for all three films together.

If you've never been to the Civic Theater, then I highly recommend this experience. The theater is a pleasure to visit even when Star Wars isn't involved. ;) It's a historical landmark in Akron, one of those grand old-fashioned movie-houses. It's recently been restored and is absolutely gorgeous.

I'm at school right now so I'll report back when I get home and check out the actual day. It's a Sunday afternoon and evening.

I myself am defenitely going. :D

~Saché :)

2. Krash

Krash RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 11, 2000
    That would be something to see...personally, I'm VERY interested in watching OT on the big screen (whenever possible)! Thanks for the info...can you let us know aout a specific date.

It doesn't take much to be conidered a "member" of this Fanforce. All we really ask is that you "actively participate" either on the boards...or in-person at our various meetings/events. You're more then welcome to join us anytime you would like.

3. Darth-Zod

Darth-Zod Jedi Master star 3

Nov 9, 2001
    Will they be showing the originals, or the special editions? I'd be up for going if I'm free that day.

4. JarJarJedi

JarJarJedi Force Ghost star 6

Feb 6, 2001
    It is the 12th

I had seen on the Civic Theater's main site that they were going to be playing AOTC at this time. (I also got a brochure.) When I went to see where the seats would be on tickemaster, I entered in "Star Wars" and it didn't list AOTC. I'm going to have to go to the box office to investigate or e-mail them, since I'm seeing two different things.

EDIT: Also, the student center theatre at Akron U was showing the OT and TPM a few weeks ago, but I didn't know about it until it was too late. :(

Edit again: Stupid keyboard at Wayne... I hate that one, it sticks... :mad:

5. JediCandii

JediCandii Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 23, 2002
    I definately want to go. I've never seen the OT anywhere but on my TV screen, and I think that it would be really cool. I think that I might drag my dad with me, since he's into Star Wars too.

6. Sache8

Mar 19, 2000
    That's correct JarJarJedi. This is a recent change in the curriculum. They were originally supposed to be showing AotC, but for one reason or another this has been adjusted.

I have an ammended copy of the seasonal schedule that has a sticker over the AotC info detailing the new info. It was given to me by a friend who has connections with both the Civic center and EJ Thomas Hall.

As for Special Edition or original, that is something I do not know. I would assume Special Edition probably.

7. DonC

DonC Jedi Master star 4

Mar 30, 2001
    But.. but... but... that's the second week of the NFL playoffs... :confused:

8. _-Reborn_Jedi-_

_-Reborn_Jedi-_ Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 9, 2002
    That sounds awesome! Although it probably doesn't come close to seeing it on a huge screen at Cinemark (which I hope they do after Episode 3 is released), it would still be pretty cool to do that. Heck, I wasn't born until Return of the Jedi came out, so therefore I wasn't able to enjoy it on the big screen. Having that opportunity would be an experience I've always wanted to enjoy. Maybe me and the RoP cast can even dress up for the event or something...that'd be cool. And considering it's in January, I'd have no problems going. Count me in.

9. JediKnightPasJoDacle

JediKnightPasJoDacle Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 16, 2002
    Sniff, darn, not in Calie. :(

10. Krash

Oct 11, 2000
    I've never seen the OT anywhere but on my TV
    Now that's something we'll have to remedy, now isn't it?

I'm most definatly in for this...I'm marking January 12th in my day-planner! Regardless if it's the original or SE versions of the films, it's always special when you get to see them on the big screen.

11. JarJarJedi

Feb 6, 2001
    I've never seen SW on the big screen either. (Just my big screen TV. ;)) I was born the week before ROTJ came out, so I kinda couldn't see it. ;) I wasn't into SW when the SE came out, so I didn't see it then either.

Count me in for this one. SE or originals, I don't care.

12. Padawan92

Padawan92 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 22, 2001
    I would like to see ESB cause I didn't when it came out with the SE. Is the movies the orginal or SE?

13. DonC

DonC Jedi Master star 4

Mar 30, 2001
    I would lay odds these are going to be the SEs. George considers those the definative versions of the movies now. In fact, I doubt a theater could even get prints of the originals. Of course that doesn't bother me as I have seen both versions of each movie in theaters. :p

14. JediCandii

Jul 23, 2002
    Well I guess we can't all be as lucky as you are Don. The fact that I wasn't born when any of the OT came out might be are reason that I've never seen any of them on the big screen, you think?

15. JediKnightPasJoDacle

JediKnightPasJoDacle Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 16, 2002
    I also saw ROTJ on the Big Screen when it first came out, also saw em when they were re-released.

16. Padawan92

Padawan92 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 22, 2001
    Well since I wasn't born when the orginal ones came out that is out, but I did go see ANH and ROTJ in the theaters when it came out again. I didn't go see ESB cause I first wasn't into Star Wars yet and it seemed to dark for me.

17. Sache8

Mar 19, 2000
    I was around when RotJ was originally released, but not in any way that I could realistically appreciate it.

I'll never forget going to see the SE of A New Hope. We had to sit towards the front of the theater because we got their late. The feeling of seeing those classice scroll screens as they were meant to be seen..... **sigh** what a thrill. :p

18. Krash

Oct 11, 2000
    Star Wars...Great Northern Mall (one of the re-releases before ESB)

Empire Strikes Back...Great Northern Mall

Return of the Jedi...anyone remember the name of the old movie theater by Came's Corner shopping plaza in West Park?...that's where I saw ROTJ

Star Wars: Special Edition...Montorse Regal Cinema (all 3)

The Phantom Menace...General Cinema - Chapel Hill Mall

Attack of the Clones...Valleyview Cinemark[/i]

EDIT: How's that for feeling old...I remember 2 movie theaters who don't even exist anymore.

19. TheRandomMenace

TheRandomMenace Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2002
    ANH, ESB- Not born yet.

ROTJ- One year old, but parents weren't into Star Wars. :(

However, I became a SW fan the summer of 1996 when the trilogy was being shown on the Sci-Fi channel... thus I was ahead of the SE fan phenomenon by a few months, and got to see all the SE versions...

ANH SE- Opening Day, Solon Commons
    ESB SE- Opening Day, Solon Commons
    ROTJ SE- Opening Day, Solon Commons
    TPM- Opening Day, Solon Commons
    AOTC- Opening Day, Valley View DLP MIDNIGHT SHOWING!!!!! :D
    Episode III- Opening Day, ????? (most likely DLP Midnight Showing at Valley View too)

Just out of curiosity, anybody else go to the opening day showings of the SE versions at Solon Commons? Just wondering if "our meeting was not chance" before we all joined the JKOC...

20. JediCandii

Jul 23, 2002
    I saw TPM at Ridge Park Square and AOTC at the 7:45 showing at Valley View. That is the time that I got to be on TV. I think that it's pretty funny, since I was standing next to Cindy and almost in front of Krash and I had no idea who they were. In case anyone was watching the news that day, I was the girl with the tiny Yoda lightsaber. I know that Cindy remembers seeing me at the theater, but I don't know if anyone else does.

21. _-Reborn_Jedi-_

_-Reborn_Jedi-_ Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 9, 2002
    I was at AOTC @ Valley View as well for the 7:45 showing (still have my ticket too, I'm such a dork)...I didn't see anyone I knew there (since at the time I hadn't met any of you yet) but I did see a whole crowd of people, some with lightsabers, in front of tv cameras in the middle of the front of the theater. I was in line, hoping and praying the damn cameraman would not pan over to the line, because I called off from work that day, lying to my managers (who still thought I lied to go see AOTC anyhow, which I did hehe) and I thought if I get on tv, and some manager is at home watching the news, I am so fired. Luckily the Force was with me and I got to enjoy seeing AOTC in digital...also, some people found this funny...in the long hallway to Theatre 13, on the way to the steps, I yelled out "Stay on target, stay on target!" Some of the fans went nuts hehe. Good memories...

22. DonC

DonC Jedi Master star 4

Mar 30, 2001
    Well, I guess since everyone else is sharing....

Star Wars- Southgate Cinemas.

Empire- Southgate Cinemas on opening day.

Jedi- Southgate Cinemas (hey, it was the nearest theater to my house, ok?), also on opening day.

I saw all the Special Editions at Ridge Park Square, all on opening day.

Phanom Menace- Ridge Park Square on opening day.

AOTC- Cinemark on (say it with me) opening day, twice (Midnight showing & with my sister in the afternoon).

23. JarJarJedi

Feb 6, 2001
    Well, like Don said.. since everyone is sharing....

ANH - never

ESB - never

ROTJ - never

SE - never

(I've seen all of the above at home though)

TPM - Great Oaks Cinema in July
    (Then again at Regal in Medina when it came out in December again)

AOTC - Macedonia (midnight) Valley View 7:45 opening day (also saw it 2 more times up there)

Yes Candii, that was funny. Fate brought you to us. ;)

24. Krash

Oct 11, 2000
    Yeah, Cindy mentioned to me (shortly after she made the connection) that Candii was the girl with the "size issues" with the lightsaber; it was the punchline for a joke David Moss made during his live "stand-up" report. Should have figured that a bunch of people there that day would find their way to us. I guess it was "the Force" that brought you there Candii...and glad to have you.

Now that everyone seems to be re-living their SW movie theater resume, I guess it's safe to say some of us would like the chance to see OT on the big screen; and the rest would just like another chance.

25. DonC

DonC Jedi Master star 4

Mar 30, 2001
    Just a little reminder, this is coming up soon. I don't know what I'll do if the Browns are playing that day. :confused:

Hey, it could happen.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.