main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Want to get started with WOTC RPG

Discussion in 'Archive: Games: RPG & Miniatures' started by spevack, May 21, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spevack

spevack Jedi Youngling

May 21, 2002
    Hi everyone,

So it seems like a new rulebook has just been released for WOTC's Star Wars campaign.

Two questions for you all:

1. Is the WOTC game worth playing?

2. If so, what books, other than the core rulebook, are essential/worth getting to run a decent game.

Thanks for your time.

2. JudroBathens

JudroBathens Jedi Master star 1

Apr 10, 2002
    Well... I definitely would say it's worth playing, yes. I'm sure some would disagree, but having played (and GM'd) both versions, I find that the WOTC d20 version is superior to the WEG d6 game (though I liked that one a lot--picked it up when it came out, and it was the first game I GM'd).

As to what you need besides the core book: it all depends on what you mean to do. You certainly don't need every single book that comes along. Some, like the Secrets of Naboo/Tatooine books, have somewhat limited applications--but then, some of the stuff in those books can easily be adapted to other situations. For example, the Naboo book has a lot of stuff on the Trade Federation that could be useful in settings other than Naboo. Some books have more generalized use--the Rebellion Era and New Jedi Order Sourcebooks obviously have plenty of useful stuff pertaining to their respective eras, and Starships of the Galaxy and Alien Anthology have obvious broad usefulness.

Personally, the only books I own are the two versions of the core rules. I get a lot of mileage out of them, since they cover a lot of the basics in terms of stats for the most recognizable characters/vehicles/droids/starships in the SW universe; apart from that, I like to make up stuff of my own. I have borrowed the Dark Side Sourcebook from a friend, and it's come in quite handy for my own campaign (which is going to have a lot of Sith/Dark Side type stuff involved down the road). I will also almost certainly buy the Power of the Jedi sourcebook when it comes out, mainly because about 80% of my players are playing Jedi at the moment.

So look at the books that are out, and if you think some of 'em might be pertinent to the kind of game you mean to run, go for it. If not, then you needn't lose sleep over not having 'em. Oh, and in this wondrous age of the Information Superhighway, there are just scads of useful gaming resources available online--those'll help a lot too, since the online gaming community as a whole tends to be very diligent in A) working up stats for things that the published material overlooked and B) inventing nifty new ideas out of whole cloth.

3. Fingorfin

Fingorfin Jedi Master star 4

Nov 7, 2001
    Worth playing? Hells yeah!

All the books are good, but like the previous post says, some have limited applications. Although if you plan on having Dark Side Force users as villains, the Dark Side Sourcebook is a must.

For future reference, newbie type questions belong here.

Welcome to the forum.

4. JediMasterDude

JediMasterDude Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 9, 2002
    > 1. Is the WOTC game worth playing?

Yes. The d20 RPG system is becoming (I think/hope) the overwhemling industry standard, and it's very easy to understand and use.

> 2. If so, what books, other than the core rulebook, are essential/worth getting to run a decent game.

Depends what you like. The core book is the only one necessary. There's a Dark Side sourcebook, a starships sourcebook, I think a light side sourcebook. But I wouldn't go buying any/all of them yet. Get used to the system with the core book first, then after 2 or 3 weeks, decide what sourcebooks you'd like, if any.

Whether you get the Episode 1 or 2 edition of the core book is your choice. I bought the Ep1 book this week since my fellow gamers said the Ep2 book super-powers everyone and in their opinion made the game worse. We use the Ep1 book in my group.

But maybe I'll end up picking up the Ep2 book someday. Who knows. :)

One of you could buy the Ep1 book, and one could get the Ep2 book.

Explore the Star Wars branch of http://www.wizards.com . They have errata there, char sheets, and some extra fun stuff like char and ship pictures and Silent Death, a SW ship combat rule set that my group planned to use if and when we got into ship fights.

MTFBWY,
    -JMD

5. Sci Michaels

Sci Michaels Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 17, 2000
    I think probably the most generally useful books for players aren't even out yet - the Light side sourcebook and Arms & Equipment. I'm really looking forward to those.

But as others have said, it really depends on the needs of your campaign.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.