main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Want to help negotiate peace in the canon wars? New focus group forming.

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Dark Lady Mara, Oct 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chewcacca1

Chewcacca1 Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 9, 2003
    Lucasfilm does not say this.

You checked out the link I provided, right? That link is from the OFFICIAL STAR WARS website. It is the official word to the public from Lucasfilm. That link I provided takes you to the OFFICIAL site. On that particular page, it clearly states that the only thing that is canon is the movies. Hence, Lucasfilm does say that the only thing that is canon is the movies.

2. Chewcacca1

Nov 9, 2003
    Also, that quote is from '01 and some things have changed.

Nothing has changed. It doesn't matter if that quote is from 1901. It is still there. If it has changed, it would have been taken down.

Not too mention that LFL says the EU is canon, but not the ultimate canon.

Show me.

Everyone can throw quotes out to their hearts content, and it seems like there is always a quote from someone in authority that contridicts the other.

I have yet to see a quote, from an OFFICIAL source, that says EU is canon.

3. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    The point of the focus group is not whether or not the EU is canon. It is to discuss how to help achieve peace in the canon wars. There is no point arguing whether the EU is canon or not in this thread, since it really has nothing to do with what we're talking about. If you really care so much, I'd be more than happy to debate it with you over PM.

But the whole reason I decided to be in this focus group was not to debate whether the EU is canon but to discuss how to solve THIS EXACT PROBLEM that is in THIS VERY THREAD because the canon debate was brought up.

4. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    Chewie, don't talk to me like I'm a little kid.

Yes, that is what the quote says. There are also other quotes out that say something else, and some of them are dated after '01. Furthermore LFL is the organization that moderates the EU and they say that the EU is canon (for the most part). I'm not saying that you have to believe that, I'm not saying anyone has to believe that. I'm saying that it is the official LFL position, one which TF.N and her boards do not operate off of.

Also Chewie, this thread is not to discuss what is or is not canon. It is to discuss how to end these canon wars.

As for the quotes, in due time you will see them. I've never gone out of my way to find quotes for a debate. I don't care enough to argue one way or the other in regards to canon.

5. Chewcacca1

Nov 9, 2003
    Chewie, don't talk to me like I'm a little kid.

I don't see why you would say this. However you interpret what I type is up to you. I can't decide that for you. You know how hard it is to interpret "tone" in these messageboards.

Yes, that is what the quote says. There are also other quotes out that say something else, and some of them are dated after '01. Furthermore LFL is the organization that moderates the EU and they say that the EU is canon (for the most part).

Then show us where these quotes are. Until you do, your side of the debate hasn't a leg to stand on.

I'm not saying that you have to believe that, I'm not saying anyone has to believe that. I'm saying that it is the official LFL position, one which TF.N and her boards do not operate off of.

That doesn't mean you can't show some sort of proof to back your statement up.

Also Chewie, this thread is not to discuss what is or is not canon. It is to discuss how to end these canon wars.

What's the difference?

As for the quotes, in due time you will see them. I've never gone out of my way to find quotes for a debate. I don't care enough to argue one way or the other in regards to canon.

Then, why bother arguing your side of the debate? Why bother posting if you aren't willing to take the steps to prove your point?

6. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    What's the difference?

The difference is we're not interested in drawing a hard line on what's canon and what isn't. People don't agree on that. People probably never will agree on that.

What we do hope to accomplish is to make people on each side of the debate treat each other with more respect.

Now, if you want to debate what canon is, please don't do it in this thread. Any further off-topic posts will be deleted.

7. Chewcacca1

Nov 9, 2003
    I didn't realize this was a "self help" type of thread. IMO, i think it's silly. There is no need for this group. I've proven that the films are all that is canon. But, if this thread isn't about debating, then Just direct me to the thread that DEBATES canon and I'll be out of your way. Sorry about the inconvenience.

Is it getting warm in here?

8. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    Not trying to debate what Canon is or isn't. Just wanted to give Chewbacca some background to chew on.

"On that particular page, it clearly states that the only thing that is canon is the movies. Hence, Lucasfilm does say that the only thing that is canon is the movies."
    " When it comes to absolute canon, the real story of Star Wars, you must turn to the films themselves - and only the films."
    "Absolute", not "only" or "isolated". The films take precedence over everything, but they are not the only Canon. At the end of that paragraph...
    "The novelizations are written concurrently with the film's production, so variations in detail do creep in from time to time. Nonetheless, they should be regarded as very accurate depictions of the fictional Star Wars movies."
    You are simply reading your own interpretation into "absolute". It only means that the films are the purest Canon.

"Nothing has changed. It doesn't matter if that quote is from 1901. It is still there. If it has changed, it would have been taken down."

Assuming they are as anal about revising Canon as you would think them to be. See this site to see how Lucasfilm, itself, tends to have many interpretations in and of itself. Notice how Sansweet, himself, changes his own definition more than once. Your quote isn't the end-all, be-all definition, except to you.

"I have yet to see a quote, from an OFFICIAL source, that says EU is canon."

Read the link.. ;)

9. Chewcacca1

Nov 9, 2003
    MeBeJedi... just point me in the direction of the thread that DEBATES canon, and we can take it from there.

Incidentally...

from WEBSTER'S NEW WORLD THESAURUS:

Absolute, a. 1. {Without limitation} total,complete, entire, infinite, fixed, settled, supreme,full, unrestricted, unlimited, unconditional, independant, whole-hearted, sheer, pure, unmitigated, utter, unabridged, thorough, clean,outright, downright, ideal, simple, perfect, full, blanket, all out, out-and-out.2. {Certain} positive, unquestionable, undeniable.

And, that link you gave me is to a SW/ST fan site. It doesn't hold any water.

10. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    ...so where does it say "only"? ?[face_plain] Not one word in there contradicts my statement.

BTW, here's the thread, though it wasn't really intended for debate, either...

"And, that link you gave me is to a SW/ST fan site. It doesn't hold any water."

That's not the point, and you know it. Try reading something before making up your mind about it, okay?

11. TripleB

TripleB Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 28, 2000
    StatementDark Lady mara said

You know, I'd never even heard the terms "canon" and "purist" in relation to Star Wars before I discovered this site and found out I had to align myself with a camp.

Editorial Absolutely. WHen I first came to the boards, I had read a lot of EU, played a TON of SW Video Games. While there was a lot of EU stuff that I thought was garbage, there was a lot I also thought quality.

But when I came here and saw people screaming at each other over whether there are Dark Jedi or not, and I was like "Well, every time I put in DarkForces2: Jedi Knight, the opening trailing mentions them so yeah there are" and such, it reminds me of all the things I used to throw at Star Trekkies, to the point that I was like "Screw These Boards if they are going to fight over THAT!!

12. jedi_master_ousley

Jun 14, 2002
    I hadn't heard the terms either. I had just read the EU and took it as continuations of the SW movies. I never stopped and though that some of it couldn't happen

13. StArWarSChIcK16

StArWarSChIcK16 Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 5, 2003
    i join this focus gorup please

14. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Gah, I never saw this thread! I only had EV's PM invitation earlier. I'll go check out the focus group board, sorry for my tardiness [face_batting]

>> Hell, there's even a X-wing and Tie-fighters flying and battling through the streets of Coruscant decades before their actual appearance - but that doesn't mean their existence in AOTC is Canon now.<<

Actually, they are, but they're not X-Wings or TIE Fighters- there was a starship that looked almost identical to an X-Wing (not a Headhunter) referred to as an "Academy Fighter", there's even a pic of it included with one of the Star Wars Adventures packs. On the same note, there were prototype ion engine craft from SIenar Systems, as mentioned on Holonet News.

>> When it comes to absolute canon, the real story of Star Wars, you must turn to the films themselves - and *only* the films<<

As has been mentioned, that quote is over-ruled by more recent policy statements, the current one was last published in an issue of Star Wars Gamer magazine. In that issue, the policy stated was that everything not labeled as infinities was canon.

>>Look at the old Marvel comic series. Back in it's time, it was part of SW continuity (but it was never canon). In 1986, the series ended. In 1987, Dark Horse picked up the SW line and a NEW continuity was started in the EU.<<

Actually, there was never a "new" continuity started, though the concept of the books, comics and games, etc being encompassed into a single expanded universe was forged in the era you speak of.

However, references to the Marvel series and earlier novels existed even after the modern era of EU launched, though they weren't as plentifull as they are today. As such, to this day, Marvel is still part of SW continuity (afterall, both Lucas and Hamil had input into the early days of the series, be a shame to discard it).

15. Errant_Venture

Feb 21, 2002
    I'm sorry SWChick, but the positions are all currently full.

Quest, I did send you a PM a while back letting you know that the board had been up for a few days. ;)

16. jedi_master_ousley

Jun 14, 2002
    I PMed him about it too. :p

17. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    ::checks his PMs::

Nope, I only recieved PM's from two people regarding the Lit Forum focus group.

Maybe you PM'd my Halloween sock...

18. The2ndRest-in-Peace

The2ndRest-in-Peace Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 27, 2002
    Ack! You did, and I did read them!

Ya know what? I musta confused the references to a focus group as referring to the Lit Forum one...doh!

I'll play catch-up in the group tonight ::)

19. Errant_Venture

Feb 21, 2002
    Damn those Halloween socks! I experienced the same problem this year, though it was not for the FG. . . :p

20. Chewcacca1

Nov 9, 2003
    EV Edit: You just won't stop will you? Due to the enormity of this bashing, you now have strikes 2 and 3. I'll see you in 24.

21. Krash

Krash RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 11, 2000
    just point me in the direction of the thread that DEBATES canon, and we can take it from there.
    ((points in the direction of the door))

Pardon the interuption, there's just something I wanted to add to this discussion. On a number of occasions...I've noticed that a large part of the problem is that the current TFN policy of "movie boards" only citing EU as "one possible explaination" limits the amount of information that can be used in discussion. And anytime someone mentions EU...a few people feel the need to remind the world why THEY think EU sucks! (typically resulting in topics getting locked)

Rather then this segregation between the films and EU..wouldn't a more inclusive policy regarding information solve alot of the problems? That way anyone who simply wants to trash EU...is simply bashing information they simply don't agree with (who cares)

22. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    Interestingly enough, the Comms thread about this is currently moving in the other direction - there are several purists there who think mods should defend their right to bash EU. That doesn't make a lot of sense to me, since bashing doesn't have value for anyone, but I suppose I can see why they think it's a double standard that they get punished for bashing. Completists don't have anything to bash, so of course they never get punished for it.

23. TripleB

TripleB Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 28, 2000
    I guess for bashing to really be effective, I guess doing it here on these boards won't be effective at all: we need to throw our emails at ILM and George Lucas. It makes me wish the Comic Book Guy from the Simpsons would take action against Lucas the same way he took action against William Shatner.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.