main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Buff, NY Want to participate and learn

Discussion in 'Buffalo, NY' started by Jonathan Xavier Jones, May 10, 2013.

1. Jonathan Xavier Jones

Jonathan Xavier Jones Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 10, 2012
    Hello there,
    Still new and still very much want to get involved with the group. With the school year winding down for me, I very much look forward to being able to go to meetings and what not. But until then I would like to know how I can experience all of my StarWars dreams (realistic ones).
    I have never cosplayed before, and I have no skill in it what so ever, but I have just gotten into chainmail a bit and would really like to do a really cool Jedi cosplay for events and other cool occasions. Where would I go for something like that? Even if I can't make anything, buying or having things made would be pretty cool too. I really want some sort of style to go along with my nerdy love of Star Wars and I wouldn't be scared to wear it in school.
    Any ideas?

2. BobaChris12

BobaChris12 Former RSA star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 30, 2002
    Jonathan,

We are still ramping up for SWN but will return to our regularly scheduled programming shortly after June 22. Posting on the forums is a good start as well as a requirement to keep your membership active. Pay close attention to the forums as this is the primary source of communication. Meeting and event details are always announced here.

A very important thing to remember is to read the threads in their entirety (more so meeting and event threads) as you may answer some questions you need.

As far as costuming, save some money and start a plan. Sketch out what you would like to do and set a budget. A basic Jedi with boots, belt, robe, and tunic can still cost a couple of hundred dollars, but in comparison to other costumes, much easier on your pocketbook.

Search the Internet as you will find some reputable vendors, but beware of some who do not offer quality goods.

quigonschuel and Wild Sidewalker like this.
  3. JDuffPhoto

JDuffPhoto Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 3, 2010
    Slow down. Take your time to read. If you're new to forums, you'll see we're pretty forgiving in this group, unlike other forums that are more apt to burn you before you get your third post in. Nonetheless read and get an idea of who we are.

I'll give you a head start here. First of all, we're not officially a "costuming group". That is something that we have adapted to and yes, the majority of our events require costumers. There are still some events that we have staff that is out of costume, either working tables, and/or providing support to characters in costume, and they are as equally important (if not more important in many cases...) members of the team.

What I'm saying is that having a costume isn't a requirement to being part of the group. Conversely, it doesn't automatically make you a member either.

So, on the topic of costumes, like Chris has mentioned, something like a Jedi or even a Sith costume will run you a couple hundred dollars, depending on how detailed you get and how cleaver you are at finding ways to save a buck or two. For example, my first Jedi costume, I put the tunic, obi, and robe together for about $45. I waited for 50% off coupons to save on material. Then I added boots for $65, a belt for $45 and a basic stunt lightsaber for $75. Total spent was around $230.

Then things needed to be replaced or I chose to upgrade. My first boots broke and so I saved and spent an additional $120 on leather boots. I wanted a saber with full sound and purchased one online (big mistake and a story for some other time), and then researched and built my own (in all, almost a grand invested in two lightsabers). I recently worked out a deal to have a costume made for me to retire my original that I made. I'm also in the process of having a new belt made as my first one is also going into retirement.

Start off simple and build into it, and to reiterate what Chris mentioned above, plan it out well and spend a little extra on quality so it will last you longer.

And again... welcome to the boards!!

4. JediXXL

JediXXL Force Ghost star 6

Apr 11, 2003
    Don't Panic

Know where your towel is...

Breathe.

BobaChris12 and Wild Sidewalker like this.