main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Story [War And Peace] Letter To Sonya (Poem. Dolokhov/Sonya.)

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by Alley_Skywalker, Sep 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alley_Skywalker

Alley_Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Sep 27, 2005
    Title: Letter To Sonya
    Author: Alley_Skywalker
    Genre: Poetry, angst
    Characters: Dolokhov, Sonya (in mention)
    Summary: Dolokhov's love letter to Sonya.

Sonya?

I have fallen into a cycle never ending
    I dare hope you will not tear my world apart
    If I had the powers to impress you
    I?d use them all to win your heart
    Yet in fate?s mirrors I see only my reflection
    You are never there by my side
    And if only you?d let me bare my soul to you
    There would be nothing I would hide
    These words of love are not merely hollowed echoes
    They are the cries of a soul lost in the dark
    Won?t you shine your light on me and save me
    My Aphrodite, my Joan of Arch
    This may seem the silliest of fixtures
    A fool?s game of cat-and-mouse
    I know that I do not deserve you
    But I cannot control the love that you arouse
    Forgive me, my dear Sonya
    If in vainly I have troubled your gentle heart
    But I simply had to write this letter
    For I have loved you from the start

~ Theodore Dolokhov

2. Sara_Kenobi

Sara_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 21, 2000
    That was simply wonderful. Wonderfully written. :) =D=

3. Danaan

Danaan Jedi Master star 4

Apr 23, 2008
    =D= =D= =D=

First: kudos for picking up a piece of classic literature! That is rare indeed!

And of course, I'm a huge fan of War and Peace [face_love] , though I have to admit that I cannot recall Dolokhov [face_blush] .

Anyway - great work!

4. Alley_Skywalker

Sep 27, 2005
    Danaan: OMG! I love W&P. It?s just about my favorite book :) Hmm?Dolokhov is actually a favorite of mine?he?s Anatole Kuragin?s friend, the cardsharp who wins 42, 000 rubles from Nikolai Rostov in cards, the guy who by rumor has an affair with Helene and duels with Pierre b/c of it?any of this jarring your memory? I know, I know?he?s one of the more background characters in the book. Actually, I like writing fics for classic stuff...especially Russia classic stuff, lol. Sadly, though, many of them are not TFN TOS compliant. I can link by PM though if you?re interested ;)

Sara_Kenobi: Thank you :)

5. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    I've never read the book (it's on my very long list 8-} ) but this poem is so lovely! I especially like the last two lines.

6. Danaan

Danaan Jedi Master star 4

Apr 23, 2008
    That would be interesting indeed - just be aware that I'm a tad pressed for reading time these days :_|

How could I not know Kuragin, he is certainly very interesting. I believe he ends up in the same tent as Bolkonskij during the battle of Baradino, doesn't he?

Did you see Bondarchuk's movie version ('68)? Awesome stuff! I have a particular fondness for the Russian classics to be sure![face_love]

7. JadeSolo

JadeSolo Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2002
    If I had the powers to impress you
    I?d use them all to win your heart

[face_love] Someday I hope to read the book, when I have about eleventy billion hours of free time. :p

8. Alley_Skywalker

Sep 27, 2005
    Danaan: Oh, that?s fine, I only have a couple more as of now, though more are in the works. I?ll PM you the links and if you?re interested/have time?
    Yes, yes, dear foolish Anatole. You know, so many ppl dislike him so viciously?Really, he?s not even a cad though. It?s all foolishness and childishness fr the mot part. Even Dolokhov, who is so cold toward ppl, can?t help but indulge. Overall, I just feel sorry for the kid in the end. Yes, he does end up in the same med-tent as Bolkonski. His leg is amputated at Borodino and then Pierre receives information that says that Anatole died?how trustworthy that info is though is not clear.
    I personally, didn?t like the Soviet version all too much. I thin the book is better than the Soviet version even though the film follows the book closely. A few things are but though from the movie that shouldn?t have been, but then that?s how it is with all movie versions of books, I guess. I also enjoyed, a lot, the new European version of W&P though the filmmakers do take some liberties. Ooh! That also reminds me, I also have W&P fanvids, if that?s of any interest to you :)

JadeSolo: I rammed through the book in like a month. I usually don?t have that much free time but I made as much time as I could. It?s a really good and, I personally, really got into it. And it?s not think like the Russian lit they assign in school (I?m thinking Dostoyevsky?s Crime And Punishment here)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.