main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

War and the NJO...

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Sith_Hologram, Feb 4, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sith_Hologram

Sith_Hologram Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 25, 2001
    Do more people like the NJO because it casts war in a much more negative light than the other books. It is a more realistic view of war and one that is a bit different than the movies but people still seem to enjoy it.

2. DVader316

DVader316 Jedi Knight star 7

Feb 18, 2000
    I think you're last sentence answers your own query. Personally, I enjoy the NJO because of it's realistic portrayal of war, not because it is cast in a negative light, although it is. This time around, with the NJO, the people over at DelRey managed to make each book a crapshoot, with certin characters 'safe', and others who arent. The fact that we really dont know who is safe (with certain exceptions) adds to the tension level and anticipation of the fans. With the old EU most of this was all moot; but now, the NJO has given us the true horrors of war, and shown us that the characters will not survive every adventure they are on. Quite the contrary, as a matter of fact. In other words, I feel that now that they have invited some realism into the NJO and EU in general, the books and just better now than they were in the Bantam days.

3. chissdude10

chissdude10 Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 26, 2001
    I agree with DVader. I love the NJO because its real war, the vong seem to be dominating, but our look is more through the NR. Dont be surprised if the vong ease off a little.

4. Sith_Hologram

Sith_Hologram Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 25, 2001
  5. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    I like the NJO in part because I enjoy reading the novels and in part because it's not another series pitting the New Republic against the Empire. The Imperial Remnant and the New Republic made their peace. So unless the books were to take place before the signing of the treaty (which would mean that we'd have to see mostly new characters as the stories for the main characters are mostly filled in), I feel it would be a bad idea of pitting the two against each other would be terrible. The Imp Remnant is now an intresting ally/potential ally, something that they would not have been if the war had started up again. And unlike the Yevetha and the Ssi Ruuk, the Vong are actually an intresting enemy. They remind me of the war between the New Republic and the Empire, back when the Empire was still the intresting enemy to see fought.

6. Alderaan_

Alderaan_ Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 14, 2001
    I'm reading the NJO mostly for the characters, but the war is great. It's much more realistic than most other books, and really shows the true nature of war.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.