main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

War Crimes: The Postwar Trial of an Imperial Admiral

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by Geoff Morton, Jan 25, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Subject Zero

Subject Zero Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 13, 2000
    to be honest, ya, RM is a REALLY good compression media... but...

I used it once for a few tests for my SW flim tests amd sometimes it REALLY screwed up the movie. You could not understand what was going on. It was because the background was stationary and the foreground moved. This was for the scrolling text which was completely unreadable. Since most people like to put in the scrolling text (I decided not to though) it would be a bad idea for them.

But, for the sake of people with slow connections it could be a viable alternative.

SZ

2. Jedi Chimi

Jedi Chimi Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 24, 2000
    I think the reason Quicktime is offered over the others, is because people on PCs and Macs can both run Quicktime. I know Mac has Windows Media Player, but I heard that it sucks.

3. Nathan PTH

Nathan PTH Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 11, 2000
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Geneva,Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jedi Chimi:
    I think the reason Quicktime is offered over the others, is because people on PCs and Macs can both run Quicktime. I know Mac has Windows Media Player, but I heard that it sucks.

Another reason is that if you have a good compression utility, like we've been able to get for PTH, you can cut files down REALLY small, relatie to their complexity, without losing much quality. You can compare the two versions of PTH Trailer B to get an idea what I mean. Plus, QT is pretty much the standard, so it's the most convenient to make files in.

--Nathan Butler
    Co-Writer, Prelude to Hope
    Co-Writer, The Jedi Wars
    Writer, Second Strike

4. Dopey

Dopey Jedi Youngling

May 3, 2000
    I'm not saying switch media, I am saying add media..ya know?

Dopey

5. Nathan PTH

Nathan PTH Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 11, 2000
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Geneva,Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dopey:
    I'm not saying switch media, I am saying add media..ya know?

Dopey

Then in that case, more power to ya.

As far as I know, we're hoping to be able to release PTH in multiple formats, but whether or not TFN has server space to hold so many different versions (and whether or not we have the time and utilities to do so, which I think we do) is probably a better question. Personally, I still prefer QT format, just because we've gotten our compression down so much, and QT Pro is letting me, quickly and somewhat easily, set up some PTH archive CD-Rs with HTML interfaces for posterity.

But to each his own. Hopefully we'll be able to be as accomodating as possible when PTH is relased.

--Nathan Butler
    Co-Writer, Prelude to Hope
    Writer, Second Strike

6. Wedge33

Wedge33 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 18, 2000
    I've dealt with REAL media a lot and I highly recommend it. For our fan film, Highlander: Ascension, we used RealProducer to compress a 577 meg AVI into a 43 meg RM file. That's major compression, and we had NO QUALITY LOSS. The trick is, with RealProducer you can select the quality of the RM file. We used the highest quality possible and got these great results. We watched the AVI and then the RM back-to-back and could tell no real difference between the two. But the RM file does have to be downloaded to the viewer's computer and then played. It doesn't really work streaming.

7. Jedi_Iesin

Jedi_Iesin Jedi Youngling

May 5, 2000
    Real will probaly be my only format since the compression is 10 times better then qt and mpg. I can compress a 1gig uncompressed full frame 3d render to about 346k without losing qualitys.I call that amazing.

8. Jedi_John

Jedi_John Jedi Youngling

Apr 21, 2000
    I'm sorry, but that is impossible. You can't compress 8388608kb into 380 odd kb without quality loss. It is not physically possible. (see above post regarding RealCompression)

My experience is that Quicktime 4 with a sorrenson 2 codec is the best compression available. The Episode 1 trailer is evidence of this. I have had many, many, MANY people mistake it as DVD on an iBook at the computer shop where I work, it looks that good. Indeed, for me, I'd be more than happy watching a movie in it, it is as good as DVD on a computer screen that is 12"!

The key, before you all jump up and cry "DVD is way superior" is the quality of tyhe encoding. I think the biggest problem people have with Quicktime is that most of the films in it are not compressed well. I mean, lets face it, the software (media cleaner, etc) is not cheap, but you should not put the compression (Quicktime) down because no-one here can compress it well.

IMHO, the quicktime sorrenson technology is the best, but is hardly ever correctly employed correctly.

Azeem, do you have media cleaner? perhaps people could send raw data to you for compressing?

That's the end of my rant, I just hate people badmouthing a technology when it's not even being correctly implemented. And don't even get me started on the Windows Media PLayer for Macintosh!!!

Regards,

John.

9. Dopey

Dopey Jedi Youngling

May 3, 2000
    2 things....Jedi_John, could you please explain your experiences with Windows Media on a MAC...it would be usefull knowledge to some of us.

Also, about REAL encoding to the 43 MEG file...that's great, but also try encodeing at the other sizes just so people can stream..and if they see what they like, then they might dload the 43 meg file..

Dopey

10. Dopey

Dopey Jedi Youngling

May 3, 2000
    Sorry, one more thing. Jedi_John, I totally understand your arguement about the EP I Trailer, but it is hard to get a fan base when people have to initially dload a big quicktime file.

Star wars is set, people wanted to see it, but when it is a matter of people dropping in on your site you want to serve it to them fast. If you have higher quality and res videos as an option, they would probably understand that the file they are watching is poor, just to serve to everyone at any connection.

Dopers

11. Azeem

Azeem TFN Staff, Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 12, 1999
    Yes I do have Media Cleaner Pro on the Macintosh with Soreson 2. But raw footage is too big to send to me and I'm not in the business of compressing videos for other people. I have enough things going on and it takes too long.

Quicktime 4 does do streaming. If someone is on a slow connection, the download of Quicktime movie takes a while but the real media file is totally unwatchable.

Media Player on the Macintosh is okay at best but usually does not work correctly. AVI files will not work at all as well as ASF files. They came out with a new version so I'm testing it now.

People are going to have their particular favorites. Eric and I favor Quicktime with the Sorenson codec. Everyone is entitled to what they prefer but TFN FanFilms will only accept .MOV and .MPG

Azeem
    TFN FanFilms

12. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

CmdrMitthrawnuruodo Force Ghost star 6

Jul 1, 2000
    Oh no...dont tell me the move lost the rest of this story! Nooooooo! I mus know what happens next! Email! Yeah that'll work. I'll email the author. *goes and does that*

13. Opie Wan Cannoli

Opie Wan Cannoli Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 10, 1999
    Oh Force...what happens next!

14. Daphne

Daphne Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 28, 2000
    I am so impressed with this story, I don't even know what to say.

Keep going, please.

15. Daphne

Daphne Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 28, 2000
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.