main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends War of the Galaxies - Todesfuge (AU, OC, Yuuzhan Vong & Galactic Empire) Tweaked 4/22/2004

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Amphistaff-Chuck, May 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amphistaff-Chuck

Amphistaff-Chuck Jedi Youngling

May 9, 2003
    Disclaimer: I don?t own Star Wars, I?m just horribly disfiguring it. I?m not making any profit from this and I don?t intend to publish this either. Mainly becasue I can't without being sued.

Tentative Title: War of the Galaxies - Todesfuge
    Author: Amphistaff-Chuck
    Date Begun: May 11, 2003
    Timeframe: A few years prior to the Battle of Yavin to several years past the Battle of Hoth (AU)
    Rating: PG-13, violence, sexual situations, vulgarity, mild profanity
    Characters: Original characters, Mara Jade, Leonia Tavira
    Keywords: Imperials, Yuuzhan Vong, epic--(how modest of me)
    Summary: Part 1 of a three part story. The Empire is taken over by a small clique of brilliant misfit generals and admirals just after the Battle of Hoth. Their appointed Emperor crushes the Rebellion yet introduces numerous reforms to grant greater freedom to the oppressed of the Empire. After several prosperous and quiet years the peace is broken by the invasion of the Yuuzhan Vong. The invaders acheive unprecedented victories and threaten the Core within days of their arrival. They are stopped and a seige of the remnants of the Empire rages on. The shadowed leaders of the Yuuzhan Vong begin a new push and their victory appears close at hand.
    Notes: Based extremely loosely on the War of the Galaxies RP

And feedback is of course much appreciated by all who have the time and urge to do so. Thank you in advance.

Qui gravis es nimium, potes hinc iam, Lector, abire quo libet.
    (If you are likely to be the really pernickety type of reader, do you mind leaving now? Just head in the direction of absolutely anywhere else.)
    Martial, [i]Epigrams[/i] XI.16

Foreword To [i]War of the Galaxies[/i]
    May 11, 2003

The following work is, or shall be when completed, a single novel divided into three volumes. Each volume shall consist of two books, mirroring the division of [i]The Lord of the Rings[/i]. The novel that you are about to read, or I hope you are about to read, was inspired by the first Role Playing Game on the Jedi Council Forums. The vast majority of original characters and many of the situations to be found were conceived and realized nearly two years in the past from this date. I give great credit and my gratitude to those such as Nithrak, Mitthy, PoT, Jello, and the rest of the participants from the very beginning. They are the flesh and blood of this story, and I am merely the vessel through which it is told. Few of the characters you are to meet are my creations, most I have taken and molded to my needs, and I hope no animosity is felt for this; I feel only thanks for being able to work with such characters. For any who have had the privilege of experiencing the [i]War of the Galaxies[/i] Role Play, I warn you that much of what is to come will not be familiar in the slightest, given that I have remained true to the story only in character and for a short period of the timeline. For those that are new to the universe created by my companions and myself, I hope you will enjoy this rather flawed take on it.

The re-written history of Star Wars that you are to discover in the coming weeks, months, and probably years, is much different from anything you have likely ever encountered. Within this universe, the Rebellion is dead, as are its heroes, before it can strike but one great blow against the Galactic Empire. Neither Emperor Palpatine nor Darth Vader survives to see their regime gain absolute power. Yet just as the Empire takes control of the entire galaxy, a new force arrives and cuts a great swath into the Inner Rim. The Yuuzhan Vong arrive with overwhelming force, strange weapons, and brilliant leadership to rival the Imperials. This story is of the Great War that ensues between cultures and ideologies. Devoid of any heroes that can be described as ?good?, ?just? or ?virtuous?, this is a story of beings forced into a hell that they neither want to live in nor are willing

2. Amphistaff-Chuck

May 9, 2003
    Star Wars
    War of the Galaxies
    Todesfuge
    Book 1

The white light of the sun seemed to create a wondrous landscape of snow, rain and trees. The image was unnatural, surreal, and yet curiously it evoked a feeling of joy and serenity. A forest filled with reverberations from the gentle clatter of rainfall. The beams of light from above cast a glow upon gazing eyes. Drops of rain were transformed into falling flakes of snow and puddles of water seemed as sheets of ice. The trees and rocks were covered by the gleam from the water.

The fluttering sound of laughter could be heard drifting through the branches and leaves. Feet could be heard as they rustled the fallen leaves upon the forest floor and splashed into small puddles. The embraced forms of two young companions tumbled back into a shallow pool of glimmering water. Neither of the two could yet be twenty years of age. The redheaded girl and the blond young man stood from the ground as the girl broke their embrace and raced forward with a beckon to be followed. Both laughed with mirth as they leapt and stumbled through the trees. The girl finally came to the body of a towering conifer and turned to her pursuer. She sent him a kiss and disappeared around the tree with a laugh as the young man reached the pine. He followed around the trunk and began to chase his companion around and around the tree. The girl finally relented and let herself be taken by her pursuer. They shared a quick kiss and the girl ran to the remains of a fallen tree.

She stole a soaked cap from the belt of the young man and scrambled onto the ruins of the old pine. She stood upon the tree and placed her dripping locks over her shoulders and uselessly wiped her dress of excess water. The girl looked at her companion and carelessly flopped his cap upon her head as she tipped her head forward and pursed her lips. She held onto the bill of the cap with her one hand and began to dance in place as if she heard the music of a band coming from the rain. The young man looked on with a smile and laughed happily at the sight. He stood mesmerized and watched as she continued dance as the rain continued to fall. The girl kicked her legs and swung her arms for several minutes, oblivious to any worries she might hold beyond the confines of the forest. Her grand finale came when she clapped her feet together and threw the cap into the air. She lifted her face to the sky and spread her arms out as the rain continued to beat down. The young man clapped wildly and the girl snapped her head back up to smile at him once again.

[hr]

[b]Prologue

[i]I
    A Disturbance[/i][/b]

?He?s dead,? whispered Admiral Jello in feigned shock, having just arrived from receiving an urgent call. He placed a tremble into his voice and allowed his words to come out slowly, almost painfully.

?Who?? questioned Kane Lavos. He drained his glass of its contents and rubbed the fingers of his right hand against his palm in anticipation.

?Him!? sputtered Jello in return, as though everyone knew.

?Him who? We don?t know who died, but you do, so tell us!? demanded General Mitth in rapid speech, leaning in closer to hear the answer.

?Who else?? stammered Jello, his eyes locked and unblinking on the ground several meters in front of him. ?The Emperor.?

?Palpatine? Is the swine dead? Hurry it up,? demanded Colonel Anor with a great smile on his face.

?Yes, the late Emperor Palpatine,? confirmed the Admiral.

?By the Core? How??

?When??

?Where??

?Why were you told first?? complained someone.

Jello lifted his head to meet the stares of his comrades after moments of nothing. He moved his face to meet every one separately for several seconds each before responding. His face had changed from shock to a knowing grin and his companions returned his expression, dropping the act. They nodded in turn as they met his gaze and some whispered congratulations.

?En route to Tarkin?s new battle station. Apparently his majesty?s shuttle ran into an

3. Yomin_Carr

Yomin_Carr Jedi Master star 4

Jan 12, 2002
    Excellent. More. Now. :D

4. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Very well done. I echo Yomin's sentiments--more, give us more! :p

5. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    Careful with the language on here. Otherwise this is an interesting story.

6. Thok

Thok Jedi Master star 6

May 24, 2002
    Excellent.

May the next two installments be even better.

7. Amphistaff-Chuck

May 9, 2003
    Chapter 1
    The Major & The Minor
    (Three Years Before the Battle of Yavin)

?LONG LIVE THE EMPEROR!!!!!? cheered hundreds of nearly drunken guests, full of joy over the Rebel defeat in some remote system that concerned absolutely no one. It happened nearly every week. The Imperial aristocracy had become so incredibly tired with a lack of war, that any news of even a minor skirmish resulted in a great banquet in the Emperor?s, Darth Vader?s, Tarkin?s, are someone else?s honor. Food was of course served but beverages were preferred, resulting in a quick degeneration into a drunken party mirroring those of the lower classes. Only the few Imperials who were truly important abstained from such behavior. Kane Lavos, Major General Mitth, Vice Admiral Jello, and their few confidants always remained in one corner of the hall, constantly plotting against the Rebels and any other enemies of the Galactic Empire.

?It has been years since a major military engagement, we only encounter enemies in miniscule force. If this continues, our importance will dwindle, and we will lose the power and prestige we?ve worked so hard to gain,? complained Admiral Zaarin, constantly surveying his surroundings, suspicious of the lurking Dark Adepts Palpatine kept.

Deputy Director of Intelligence Kane Lavos ran his hand through his hair after taking a quick sip from his glass. In two hours this had been his third sip. Lavos remained formal on all occasions, preferring to maintain his tall frame in an elegant position. Lavos shook his head, as he comforted his friend, ?No, the Emperor has always felt, and will always feel, that a strong military is key to maintaining order you will only lose prestige through idiocy.?

?I agree,? seconded Jello, a highly decorated and well-regarded officer. The Vice Admiral reached Kane Lavos?s shoulder as he leaned back into the corner of the hall.

?As do I,? consoled Mitth with a curt nod. The tall and pristinely tailored alien spoke in a low tone of voice, reflecting his personality. ?Now see, Faron, listen and see how thi- Where is he?? complained the Chiss as he turned to speak with his subordinate only to find him missing. Mitth?s glowing red eyes searched above the heads of the other patrons, but found no sign of his student.

?Oh, your little protégé ran off when one of the Emperor?s favorite concubines gave him a passing glance,? Lavos informed his colleague with a smug grin. ?I must say I don?t entirely trust that one. He?s too? ?unpredictable? I suppose would be the best way to say it. You should find a new pupil to carry around. Or just do us all a favor and forego a student.?

?I merely find him to be too damned tall,? chided Vice Admiral Tomas Tuk?la. Tuk?la was a rather strange and short Caamasi, separated from his people as a result of his penchant for combat. ?I hurt my neck speaking with him for even a moment. Bleeding bastard needs to have his shins removed.?

?I swear, he?s not old enough to drink, he shouldn?t be old enough to be chasing women either,? whispered Zaarin, the most prestigious member of the clique, a perfect Imperial, tall, handsome, and light-skinned. ?Or girls in this matter.?

?Ah, youth!?

?Shut up, Kane,? ordered Jello. ?Your favorite is a bloody halfwit of a Kowakian monkey-lizard.?

?He is quite the entertaining monkey-lizard. And, frankly, that is all I care for.?

?Well, while you are discussing monkey-lizards, I?m going to keep the young Major Dimwit from inviting the Emperor?s wrath.?

?You mean the Wrath of God.?

?Don?t bother,? informed Zaarin. ?Our beloved Lord Vader caught sight of him in pursuit of the lady and seems to be intent on stopping anything from occurring. Or just ending their relationship on a permanent basis. It?s really up for debate.?

?That?s even worse, fool,? spat Mitth.

?I know,? chuckled the Admiral.

The rest of the clique laughed at Mitth?s situation. They knew full well what to expect; one more of their friend?s protégés dead on account of affairs with t

8. Amphistaff-Chuck

May 9, 2003
    (Chapter 1 continued)

?Yes, listen to your mother,? joked Vice Admiral Jello.

?At least our favorite Sith Lord found you merely engaged in conversation. I hardly suspect we would have you standing here with your heart beating if any articles of clothing had been shed,? mocked Kane Lavos.

?I?m sure plenty of clothing was removed in his mind. The damn child may act rather inappropriately, but we all know quite well his mind misbehaves to an even greater degree,? joked Admiral Tuk?la as he swirled his glass around below his nose before taking a drink. ?Even Kane and Jello can relate to that.?

?How would you know what runs through my mind?? demanded Faron with an offended tone. ?You aren?t even human!?

?And you are slipping from that status as we speak,? warned Admiral Jello.

?Renege your comment and I won?t have to beat the life out of you before demoting you to corporal,? threatened Mitth as he slowly turned his head to the side as if he was holding back the desire to put the Major in his place.

?It?s only a bit of fun,? assured Admiral Zaarin with a nervous expression forming on his visage.

?Oh yes! Fun! It?s all fun and games! Maybe for you humans, but for the likes of Mitth, his twin, and I-?

?Admiral Thrawn is not my twin!? protested General Mitth.

?Well, whatever he is. We have to deal not only with the close eye of the Emperor, but also with his immense contempt for races other than of his own. Even as an admiral I have difficulty gaining respect!? raged Tomas Tuk?la. ?You best keep you mouth closed and you thought to yourself before I have both removed, Major,? the Caamasi threatened as he began to tremble with anger. ?Now where were those snacks? I?m damn hungry.?

Mara kneeled before her Lord and bowed her head in shame. A small puddle formed from the tears that ran down her face. Emperor Palpatine stood before his throne and leaned on his black cane.

?Arrest your tears, dear child. You weep because I would not have this young major any longer seek your hand. You, Mara Jade, are my Hand. This Anor you believe you love is a prodigy, but little more than any other soldier of mine in truth. You cannot find happiness if you choose to seek it in a wasteland such as his own.?

?How do you mean, sire?? Mara questioned timidly as she raised her visage to meet her Master?s gaze.

?If you seek Anor, you will be lost to me. Mara Jade will fall to only a young captain?s wife. Your skills will diminish with the passing of time, and with them shall leave your separation from the pomp and mediocrity that surrounds us. All that will remain shall be your love and, like so many before and do many yet to come, he will pass in battle, immortalized by only a statue: a mark of past glory. And with his life will go the promises of joy and prosperity that he gave unto you. Left with merely remembrances, you will wander amongst the stars as a shell of your former self, until the light has faded and you are forgotten.?

Mara lay at the Emperor?s feet and wept.

?To whom do you give your devotion? Do I not have your love as well, though it may not seem the stronger??

?You have my love and devotion, Lord. Yet, I fear the power to forsake my love for Faron may be absent from my heart.?

?So long as that love does not turn to action, I shall abstain from eliminating the source. Now go, tell him of this, and then return to me.?

Mara stood and quickly backed down the steps to the level of the rest of the great hall. She turned and wiped her eyes to dry them as best she was able, though the red flush of her weeping did not fade. Mara quietly, slowly stepped past the many courtesans to the far corner of the hall, near the grand doors where Faron and his colleagues routinely gathered. She gazed at the towering columns she swept by and lifted her head to see what heights they reached. As she brought her eyes back down, Mara found herself staring into the black eyes of Kane Lavos.

?The Emperor grants you much attention though you are but one of

9. Protege-of-Thrawn

Protege-of-Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 14, 2001
    I'm loving the characterisations, well done my friend.

I must admit, I was muddled slightly with continuity, and had to backpeddle and start from whence it began once more. All is sensicle now.

Well done, and keep it up....

10. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

CmdrMitthrawnuruodo Force Ghost star 6

Jul 1, 2000
    Well done! I think you write Mitth far better than I do! I enjoyed the banter between the characters and chuckled at the childish antics between Mitth, Zaarin, and Lavos.

Now bring forth more of this story! Do not stop here! More!

11. AdmiralZaarin

AdmiralZaarin Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 8, 2001
    Now this is cool. Keep up the good work.

12. Pelranius

Pelranius Jedi Master star 5

Apr 25, 2003
    Brillant, brillantly well done. Known all we need is to have Thrawn's circle (Pellaeon, Parck, Fel, etc.) Tarkin's toadies (Motti, Daala, et. al), every other confindante of any villain of the month tlaking to each other in their own groupings whining about everything. The level of complaint should kill off even the crybabies Shimmra and his assorted Warmasters and co.

13. Spike2002

Feb 4, 2002
    I like the setting of the Imperial Court. Good updates. UP it goes.

14. Yun-Yuuzhan

Yun-Yuuzhan Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 9, 2001
    Good show!

;)

15. Amphistaff-Chuck

May 9, 2003
    Expect an update at the end of next week.

16. Grand_Admiral_Jello

Grand_Admiral_Jello Jedi Master star 1

Dec 31, 2000
    Excellent. I'm looking forward to it.

?How would you know what runs through my mind?? demanded Faron with an offended tone. ?You aren?t even human!?

?And you are slipping from that status as we speak,? warned Admiral Jello.

I still love that line... [face_laugh]

17. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

Jul 1, 2000
  18. Amphistaff-Chuck

May 9, 2003
    Chapter 2
    Lacrimosa Dies Illa
    (Two Years After the Battle of Yavin)

?Mr. Kane Lavos, a true pleasure to see you again. Please, have a seat. How goes your business? Or our business I suppose.?

Kane Lavos took his seat across from Admiral Jello, adjusting little before settling comfortably into the leather chair. He took the glass offered to him and let the aroma tease his palate before he sampled its contents. He smiled with satisfaction. It was a good year, nearly three thousand years old. Most expensive as well. He set the remainder down on the great desk separating him and Jello before he uttered any words.

?Immensely satisfactory. We have not encountered but several delays in all save a select few of our many endeavors. With you and Zaarin both full admirals, we have nearly absolute control of the navy. Mitthy is presently preparing for his promotion to High General,? Kane began. ?His worst enemy, Colonel Anor, is luckily Force-sensitive and is now extremely close to Emperor Vader. Yet he remains for sale, pledging allegiance only to his pretty maiden. Though it worries me.?

Admiral Jello sat up at the mention of Mara Jade. He held out his hand to stop Director Lavos from continuing and leaned forward against his desk. ?What of her status? Is she still an Emperor?s Hand? Or is she now merely what she once only masqueraded as?? Jello asked slowly. His eyes showed a glint of worry.

Kane smirked and took another sip of his beverage. After he wiped his mouth he nodded his mutual concern. ?She indeed endures as a personal weapon of the Emperor. How loyal she is to Lord Vader, I can merely guess. However, her loyalty to Colonel Anor is unwavering. Amusing that he is not yet aware of her true status. This will inevitably be the origin of betrayal if one is to turn. A close watch must be maintained upon them, and if either of them strays but a little, we shall be coerced to eliminate both in one fell swoop.?

Jello shook his head in thought and rubbed his eyes. He was tired of the constant conspiring and deception. ?I think then, if we worry that we will soon be made to liquidate both, we must also be forced to carry out the last phase of our takeover much sooner. Faron Anor grows more powerful in the Force everyday, and more influential within the Empire at an even greater pace. To wait any longer is to risk allowing him to become more powerful than even we are together. The very moment he achieves the position and entertains the notion to destroy us, he will. His weakness is the girl. Contact Mitthy after his ceremony is finished; tell him to eliminate Anor within the week. Vader will be dealt with next month.?

?After the New Year?? questioned Leonia Tavira. The young woman was Director Lavos?s constant aide and companion. Her presence within the inner circle was recent, but she had proven to be an amazing asset.

Kane answered for the Admiral. He took Leonia?s hand in his own and smiled lovingly at her as he informed her of the reasoning behind the date. ?As you are well aware, my dear, we originally intended that the coup not occur until two years from this date. In that year our positions would be unquestioned as heirs to the throne. However, Lord Vader?s recent actions force us to move forward now. What better time than when he intends to crush the Rebellion once and for all??

?Yes,? took up Jello. He was better informed of the situation and felt it his duty to explain. ?The rebels are at a planet in the Hoth system, Lord Vader intends to destroy them at the beginning of the New Year. We intend to destroy both the Rebellion and his rule. He was most satisfactory as a leader, yet we feel that the New Order is off course. Things must change and they must change now.?

The three conspirators sat quietly for several minutes and contemplated their own agendas. Kane Lavos finished his drink and motioned for another as Jello drummed his fingers on his desk and Leonia nibbled on her knuckle.

?But how do we kill them? An

19. Protege-of-Thrawn

Protege-of-Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 14, 2001
    Of all the things written, love is surely the most hard to truly grasp.

I think you've just about hit it though Chuck, just about nailed it sweetly.

This story keeps getting better. Here is to hoping it continues to rise above the common swell of mediocrity and continues to define excellence. Good Work.

20. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

Jul 1, 2000
    As I said over AIM with you, this is a stunningly well written story and I look forward to more soon. I am very impressed and very few people have the talent to write stories as well as you do.

Changes signature

To help advertise this story, I'll put it in my sig for ya. This is one story that must be shared with the rest of the JC community.

21. Thok

Thok Jedi Master star 6

May 24, 2002
    Superb!

I am yet to find a FanFic on TF.N that keeps me glued to my Computer screen. It brings together so many aspects, this story can be concidered among the greatest in these forums.

Comedy, Drama, suspense, action...and of course, the hardest to write, love.

I cannot be patient enough to wait for the next chapter to arrive.

22. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Very impressive. I'm quite pissed at my parents, and it took something like this to clear my head of the annoyances of life.

Keep it up.

23. Spike2002

Feb 4, 2002
    Loved that chapter. Loved that extremely brilliant one liner earlier.

"Would you like some tea?"

LMAO.

24. Wildwookiee

Wildwookiee Jedi Master star 4

Apr 14, 2001
    This is good...don't forget the Rebels!!

25. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    He won't. They're about to be utterly wiped out, remember?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.