main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

War of the Worlds Trailer Tommorow.

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by lysis, Dec 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lysis

lysis Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 12, 2004
    As of this posting (Dec 9) the war of the worlds teaser trailer is slated to go live tomorow. I cant see what will be on the teaser, as the film was just green lighted, but, since ILM is doing this, it should be interesting. This is actualy supposed to be the most expensive film of all time, and is (quoting a character from one of Speilbergs other movies) 'sparing no expense.' Steven is hoping to make the 'film of the decade' with a release date of summer 2005. Can he do it in a period of only six months? --and more importantly, how will this compare to star wars, if at all. Please discuss...

2. Indy3

Indy3 Jedi Knight star 5

May 5, 2001
    Yeah I am pretty excited

I am expecting it to premier on Yahoo Movies

3. Super_Battle_Droid

Super_Battle_Droid Jedi Master star 5

May 8, 2002
    There's a link up at the official site that says View Trailer, but it's not working. :(

4. Super_Battle_Droid

Super_Battle_Droid Jedi Master star 5

May 8, 2002
  5. malducin

malducin Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 23, 2001
    Can he do it in a period of only six months?

Well as far as principal photography, Spielberg is known as one of the fastest and most effective shooters out there. Like when he finsihed Jurassic Park ahead of schedule (I think at time DP Dean Cundey was doing up at time 4 setups, or was that in Lost World?).

ILM is in full swing and they apparently already farmed out work.

6. BauconBatista

BauconBatista Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 24, 2004
    Pretty interesting teaser... was I the only one reminded of Poltergeist in the shots with the neighborhood?

And don't believe the "most expensive movie of all time" BS, it's just another attempt by the media to muck things up. According to Spielbergfilms(Scroll a bit down), the budget is around $120 million--very expensive indeed, but nowhere near "most expensive".

7. lysis

Oct 12, 2004
    Just saw the trailer. Good stuff. I agree with the Poltergeist reference --this movie should be a natural for speilberg. Aliens seem to be a facination of his. 120 mil huh. This is still a scary prospect, as it will be difficult for up and coming directors to helm anything star wars esqe. I would much rather see such a large amount of money go to an aspiering (sp?) director (much like Gl and steven speilberg in their early years) than to, say, Michael Bay. Genius in its infancy, it seems to me, is much more reckless and violent. In this sense, some of holywoods most appealing films have come from the youngest of artistic directors, before their stride of concervatism that comes with age.

8. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Spielberg is capable of doing things very quickly. RoTLA and Jurassic Park were both completed months ahead of schedule, IIRC.

Saw the trailer last night. This movie looks great. :)

9. BabaORileyFett

BabaORileyFett Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 17, 2002
    War Of The Worlds is gonna be a highlight of 2005.

Sci-fi + Spielberg = Magic.

10. Tyranus_the_Hutt

Tyranus_the_Hutt Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 14, 2004
    I saw the trailer a couple of nights ago in the movie theater, as it preceeded "Ocean's Twelve". It was quite a clever teaser. Interesting to note that the "War of the Worlds" trailer was immediately followed by the new "Batman Begins" trailer, which the audience scoffed at. Oh, well, competing summer films, I guess (ie. "Ocean's Twelve" and "Batman Begins" - Warner Bros.; "War of the Worlds" - Dreamworks).

Everyone else who has posted here is correct: Spielberg is notoriously one of the quickest, most proficient directors working when it comes to meeting schedules and coming in under budget. Even his long-time cinematographer, Janusz Kaminski, is amazed. Kaminski has suggested that Spielberg is at a point in his career where he doesn't need a lot of planning and storyboards (except when it concerns special effects) - he creates a working environment in which he isn't too committed to any one idea, and that in turn gives him a certain freedom.

I must mention that I find it even more impressive that Spielberg is able to work so quickly given the fact that he tends to shoot his films in sequence.

11. Gobi-1

Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 22, 2002
    Does anybody know if Speilberg is shooting this digitally? I know he has said in the past that he'll stick with film I just wonder if the short production time made it nessesary to shot digitally to skip having to scan the film footage into a computer.

12. malducin

Oct 23, 2001
    According to reports on the location shooting, he is using film. Film isn't a problem, they could ship out reels and have them scanned by next day. It's no big deal.

A biger concern to me would be if he's doing a rough cut at nights and having a satelite linkup with ILM. Given the compressed schedule you don't want, for example that ILM does unnecesary work.

13. Jon

Jon Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 16, 2004
  14. lysis

Oct 12, 2004
    wow. I see that (through the poster) they are really using a visual tour de force here. We have the old Ben Hur esqe lettering in bold, superimposed over the slimy tenticles that we now embody with predatory aliens. While I am excited at the prospect of this movie (and speilberg is the man to do it), I must admit that this is the film I always wanted to make.
    sigh...

15. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    The trailer looks great.
    I reminded me of Close Encounters at several parts.

-Seldon

16. DarthLazious

DarthLazious Jedi Youngling star 4

Jan 24, 2003
  17. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004
    This is one of best 2005 trailers I've seen. Great remake. Great cast. Hopefully a theatrical trailer will hit this Spring.

18. MvTrlrMsc

MvTrlrMsc Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 12, 2005
    This teaser did what it was supposed to do

TEASE

I can't wait for this movie

It is going to be a GOOD SUMMER

19. Wutang

Wutang Jedi Youngling

Jan 23, 2005
    That teaser is awesome! I've gotta see this!

20. malducin

Oct 23, 2001
    The funny thing about this teaser is that most if not all the footage was specifically shot for it ie. it doesn't contain any footage from the film.

On the other hand there is an official confirmation that Paramount will have a :30 trailer during the Super Bowl. Still not known is this will be a new teaser or the old one we are referring here.

21. master_organa

master_organa Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 5, 2004
    I wish the trailer showed a split-second shot of the aliens.

22. malducin

Oct 23, 2001
    The December teaser had to be that way, they were still at the beginning of the shoot so no footage ready or VFX finished. Since the project was fastracked it'll be very difficult if there is any VFX shown soon unless specifically ordered by the studio. I'm guessing the aliens will be kept secret till the release but hopefully the SuperBowl trailer or a subsequent trailer will show the tripods and Martian death machines.

23. DJ_RMC

DJ_RMC Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 30, 2005
    it was an awesome trailer I can't wait till it comes out. It will defintely be a better remake of an older movie.

24. TheForgottenJedi

TheForgottenJedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 10, 2004
    I didnt find the trailer that interesting. Really didnt show anything.
    Still very interested in the movie tho. :)

25. Jon

Jon Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 16, 2004
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.