main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

WarCraft III

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Wylding, May 23, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wylding

Wylding Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 13, 2000
    WarCraft III

If the rumors are right, it's coming soon...

:D

System Reqs:

Windows® 98/ME/2000/XP:
    400 MHz Pentium II or equivalent
    128 MB of RAM
    8 MB 3D video card (TNT, i810, Voodoo 3, Rage 128 equivalent or better) with DirectX® 8.1 support
    700 MB HD space
    4X CD-ROM drive

Macintosh® OS 9.0 or higher/ Mac OS X 10.1.3. or higher:
    400 MHz G3 processor
    128 MB of RAM
    16 MB ATI Technologies or nVidia chipset 3D video card
    700 MB HD space
    4X CD-ROM drive

Recommended:
    600 MHz processor
    256 MB of RAM
    32 MB 3D video card
    DirectX® 8.1 compatible sound card

The races in this one look quite good. The Night Elves and The Undead sound like they'll be good additions.

2. Wylding

Aug 13, 2000
    Apparently no one shares my interest in WC III :( :_|

3. SilverDog

SilverDog Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 28, 2002
    I DO I DO!!!!! i lvoe the warcraft series!! and i love all the other blizzard titals as well! i havent bought warcraft 3 yet but its on the top of my to do list!

-silverdog

EDIT: love*

4. Andureth

Andureth Jedi Youngling star 1

May 20, 2002
    I dunno, after all the hype from Diablo II and then the game sucking big time I'm reluctant to buy another Blizzard game. In about 2 months the damn thing will be hacked and you'll never be able to play a fair game with anyone.

I do like the way match-making is going to work for games though. I'll probably buy it for the same reasons I went to see AOTC. Phantom Menace might have blown goats but the potential for something great was there.

Endureth

5. DUM4

DUM4 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 23, 2000
    I noticed that you can pre-order it at Best Buy and get a free book when doing so. I thought about doing that, but I have so many unfinished games as it is. I'll probably end up getting it, as Warcraft II was the first RTS I ever played and I loved it.

6. SilverDog

SilverDog Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 28, 2002
    well first of i loved diablo 2 so i guess its just a matter of opinion, second if throne of darkness hadn;t come out id still be playing diablo but as it is throne of darkness is just a better diablo which isnt saying that much considering that it was made like 5 years after diablo was made but it has the same core designers and such who worked on diablo working on throne of darkness hence the similarities... or so iv heard.

And i loved Warcraft except for one thing... i got to the last mission for both races when i was at my grandmas who lives in oregon. I live in New york (actually i only go to like the 2nd to last orc mission or something like that but anyways). So before i could beat the game i had to go home.. and i didnt have the heart to play it again. Even to this day i want to just start over but cant because i dont want to havto play the beginning over again.. arg my stupidity. But i still love the game, in skirmish its fun and multiplayer is always on option although now i think ill stick to starcraft and wait out for starcraft 2 because thats possibly the best rts ever. well in my mind it is!

-silverdog

EDIT: sorry about the typos... see this is whqat happens when i type fast :p

7. Sandjo_Koharr

Sandjo_Koharr Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 12, 2001
    I've pre-ordered my Warcraft III Collector's Edition from the local EB store.
    If it doesn't get delayed... should be out by the end of June. One month to go.

8. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    I'm a huge WarCraft fan, but, unfortunately, none of my two computers will be able to run well with WarCraft III. I'll have to buy a new system. :(

Other than that, from what I've seen, I fear that it won't possess the WarCraft "feel". I mean, nothing looks the same. Well, the improved graphics are great, but "Night Elves"? What the heck? *shakes head*

As much as I'm reluctant to say so, I fear that the game looks as though it'll be kind of stupid, story-wise, at least.

I want the heroes to return, dangit! Bring back some characters we know! Refer to them, at least! Like, why not have a hero who's actually Lothar's son? Or something like that?

It's like WarCraft III transpires in an entirely different world. Well, again, from what I've seen. :)

9. Wylding

Aug 13, 2000
    What?! The night elves look like they're going to kick some serious ass!

It's the undead that I'm a little disappointed with...

10. fixer79

fixer79 Jedi Master

May 20, 2002
    I heared in a game store today that it will be released in Belgium on June 28th. So it should be on the US shelves early June I reckon. It's about bloody time!!!

11. Wylding

Aug 13, 2000
  12. Lord Bane

Lord Bane Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 26, 1999
    Just a few days left. Anyone play the beta? I hear the 3-d is a bit...not right for the Warcraft world.

13. Dan

Dan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 15, 1999
    I don't know, the reviews I've read say it's astounding. PC Gamer gave it a 94%, which is pretty impressive. I'll have to see the IGN and Gamespot reviews too to make sure, but it looks like I'll pick it up. I'm just not sure if I have the time to play it... :\

14. DUM-4

DUM-4 Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 19, 1999
    Same here Dan. I'll probably pick it up, but between Morrowind and Neverwinter Nights, I'll have to find time to play it.

15. Theedage

Theedage Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 15, 2001
    I played the beta and posted a review here that same day I played it. It was fun at first but after playing it I grew to greatly disliking it.

Note: I'm a Starcraft fan and any rts gets measured up to it.

WC3's 3d engine was good but for an rts it simply does not work. There are 'power units' as I call them. These are units that take an immense deal of resources to take down a single unit. This completely takes away from the fun of a game, like in starcraft as many of you know it's VERY difficult to go all out on a single unit with out an easy counter.

I simply didn't like it. 6/10

16. Tobey-Wan

Tobey-Wan Jedi Master star 9

Jun 12, 2001
    I played the Beta and thought the graphics were good. The gameplay was very different from traditional Warcraft. I understand that it's new genre they're trying to get going (Role-Playing Strategy, I think), but I thought that it was hard to get into.

Maybe after it's out a while I'll pick it up cheap, after all it is a Blizzard game and it is Warcraft.

17. tenorjedi

tenorjedi Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 17, 2000
    I meet the min sys regs but I think I'll wait till I get I get a new computer to play this one.

18. Theedage

Nov 15, 2001
    wc3 = teh suck

19. Wylding

Aug 13, 2000
    You didn't like it? I take it you've played it and compared it to StarCraft...

20. Nerak

Nerak Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 28, 2002
    I just ordered it, over the net at AppleStore.com. I still have to wait 6 days though.

I liked the Warcraft I & II games but it's all the same the biger army wins, you work on your econmic of your base most of the time and less playing in the field.

I'm a big RPGer my first was Old skool sage, Shinning Force II and then to FF7 on the playstaion. I'm a RPG fan and RTS ran so the mix of Warcraft III is perfect for me.

21. Theedage

Nov 15, 2001
    If you read my above post you would have seen that I rate every rts I play to starcraft because to me that was the best rts game ever made, so it's the standard.

22. Lord Bane

Lord Bane Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 26, 1999
    See, Starcraft was good, but I'm a bigger fan of the "Age of..." series than it. I don't know, something about it just rubbed me the wrong way, though I do recognize it as a monumental step in the RTS category. And I do play it, but not nearly as much as AOE 1 & 2 or the WarCraft games.

23. tenorjedi

tenorjedi Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 17, 2000
    My only problem is that while the trailer kicks arse, it's all cut scene. IMO if you're afraid to put your actual gameplay in as well you've got something to hide (IE alot of PS and PS2 games)

24. AlienAcid

AlienAcid Jedi Knight star 6

Nov 27, 2000
    Okay warcraft 3 plays more like Homeworld.

Why? everything needs to be balanced, but not so extreme like in Empire Earth.

Okay the 90 units thing kinda blows.. but just makes you think more, you cannot drone through this game and expect to win just by having more :p

25. DUM-4

DUM-4 Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 19, 1999
    They do have a gameplay trailer up at the official site. I watched it the other day and wasn't too impressed by it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.