main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

WarCraft III

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Wylding, May 23, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BrianMan

BrianMan Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 16, 2000
    Just wanted to chime in, sorry if this is random to the conversation or anything...

...but man is the WarCraft III Collector's Editon awesome. Blizzard really does it right with their games, and the extras are really like golden icing on the cake. The Art of WarCraft book, the soundtrack, the cutscene DVD, the lithographs, man they must have had fun making that game.

And not only are the extras good, but the game is just like all Blizzard games, fantastic. I haven't played a lot of it yet, as I want to get a bit further in Dungeon Siege first (I got a virus and lost 30 hours of gameplay), but what I've seen so far from the Humans and Undead is tantalizing. Anyway, I wanted to get that much in, in case I don't get a chance to discuss the issue further. Now, if only they'd make StarCraft 2...

2. Dan

Dan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 15, 1999
    I'm hoping for another StarCraft after they get done with World of Warcraft, the MMORPG that is coming out hopefully sometime in this decade. ;) Hopefully WoW will come out well after Galaxies so I won't have to worry about paying two online subscritption fees.

3. SirLancelot

SirLancelot Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 10, 2002
    WoW= Blizzerd's license to print money

4. farraday

farraday Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 27, 2000
    I thought Starcraft already gave Blizzard a license to print money...

Apparently now they'll have two of them ;)

5. SirLancelot

Jun 10, 2002
    its called, $65 game plus 10 bucks a month. starcraft wont hold a candle to that

6. Dan

Dan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 15, 1999
    By then I would not be surprised at all if the subscription was bumped up to $15 just because they know they can.

7. MrEmh

MrEmh Jedi Youngling star 2

May 14, 1999
    I thought I read around they were going to try and make it more affordable. Think about it - they have probably hundreds of thousands of set customers, more than enough to meet cost, and if you compare sales of previous games, I think they'll end up with up to a million worldwide.

Hopefully, they'll try and "give a little back" by way of lower rates. I want to buy it, but I hate damn monthly rates. I'm an english major, not a damn trust fund baby! ;)

8. MrEmh

May 14, 1999
    Damn you board glitch!

9. MrEmh

May 14, 1999
    Here's a nice little review by Games First that gives a bit of info on the game and some screenshots (speaking of Worlds of Warcraft here). It's nothing new (the article is form before WC3 was released) but still gives us a welcome glimpse at Blizzard's ambitious next project.

10. Master_of_Darkness

Master_of_Darkness Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 15, 2002
    Right now, as I am really getting good at Night Elves, they're really good against any race... with Undead being the really only hard one to fight back.

Late game, Night Elves do good against Orcs with Dotc to combat the melee units they have, and the Dott to cyclone and storm crow just in case of air. Dryads help to take away bloodlust which is good, and do some good support too.

Against UD, you really repeat the same strat with a good mixture of both Druids and Dryads. You just gotta be able to micro good too :)

Early game though, as we all know, huntress rush is infamous.. very..

11. SirLancelot

Jun 10, 2002
    Pesent: "thats it, im dead"

i love that one

12. Double_Sting

Double_Sting Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 18, 2001
    I wasn't too intent on playing Warcraft III being a CandC fan but then I played a pirated version from a friend and the game was awesome! So I went out and bought it and I have to say it was well worth the investment.

Right now I am constantly playing Arkguil Tower Defense 3.11 on Battle.Net. I have to say that I am getting to be quite an expert at it.

Anyways, what are your B.Net names around here?

I'm on as ArcticRain.

13. Darth_Simpson

Darth_Simpson Jedi Master star 4

May 7, 2000
  14. AT7

AT7 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 8, 2000
    Man ! I HATE these type of games...
    where do you guys find the time ! I got 3 step kids and I have to make appointments to have a go at my beloved Jedi Outcast. And making goblins and wizards and pixies walk around doin whatever is BORING - I just wanna run amok with a lightsaber and slice stormies like cloned pizza !

RTS sucks
    (Really Tight Sphincter from too much sitting down playing WCIII)

15. Wedge 88

Wedge 88 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 1999
    SC was really fast paces. I can't speak for WC2, because I don't own it and I've only seen it in action a few times, but I think it may be even faster. WC3 is a bit longer, but nothing next to the time it takes to play an AoK2 or Galactic Battlegrounds game. C&C games are almost in another genre, so many things are different than with other RTS games. Things I don't really like Besides, the action is neater in Blizzard's games.

Not to diss AoK2, its pretty fun, but its not my favorite. I never got into C&C though, but I can see how some people can like it over Starcraft. So, Blizzard = King of RTS.

16. Tobey-Wan

Tobey-Wan Jedi Master star 9

Jun 12, 2001
    Warcraft III really doesn't take that long. Most of the games I've been in on Battle.net have been over in less than 30 minutes.

17. Wedge 88

Jul 16, 1999
    Yeah. I wouldn't call them long either. Starcraft just seemed faster.

18. Jomero

Jomero Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 3, 1999
    Anyone ever played a 2 on 2 game with a friend, against the computer in a team game (ie: the two computer opponents are on the same team, and you and your human friend are also on a team)? It's quite difficult. Seriously, if you don't believe me, give it a shot sometime. The computer is an expert in coordinating attacks between it's allies and getting out to creep ASAP with it's multiple heroes. It's a royal Master Jedi pain in the arse.

But my room mate and I did finally stomp the computer's smug ass last night. 2 on 2. I was orcs, he was night elves, computer was humans and undead.

Against the computer, playing very aggressively early on is tough, as it generally will be much better at managing/building armies and resources than you. So it's best to play far more defensively. And even then, I've seen the computer demolish even the tightest defenses within seconds.

Still, if you play your cards right and make sure you concentrate all your power in defending not only your town but your buddy's and get out creeping as quick as you can, it IS possible to take the damn computer down in a team game.

Orcs are definitely my race of choice, and the NE's are my room mate's. I don't care what anyone says, the orcs are truly a contender in the hands of someone who knows them very intimately. In huge melee battles, I'm bloodlusting with one shaman, purging with another (heroes that try to run REALLY hate this one), casting two (2!) healing wards in the center of the melee with my witch doctors (watch as my health comes back faster than you can dish the damage... neener neener!) a nice stasis trap that likes to stun nearby guys for fun, and then some nice micromanaging by my other diverse units.

My hero of choice? Blademaster, Blademaster, Blademaster! I thought this guy rocked because of his whirlwind ability (and yes, that does indeed rock extremely hard) but I have come to like him for a whole new reason, especially very early on in the game. You see, the computer is not stupid (for the most part). It knows what units to kill off first and will concentrate it's firepower where it's needed depending on the situation. Generally, against a computer that is teamed up with another computer opponent, you WILL be losing heroes every so often. However, the Blademaster has a very, very, VERY nice ability that I overlooked for a long time: WIND WALK! That thing has saved my butt several times. You let your hero take beating (or if he's getting one regardless if you want it to happen or not) you just hit that little ability and he instantly disappears and stops attacking. Nothing can touch him unless you have something that can be forced to attack the ground, but by that time I'm miles away. And while your force has been concentrating on my hero, my main force has been concentrating on your main force and by then, it's time for you to run away. But oh wait, you just got purged. D'oh! And, oh crap, here come the raider's ensnare nets! So sorry!

Oh wait, is that my hero coming back after having been sitting under some healing wards? Crap. Did he just whirlwind what was left of your pathetic army? Man, that sucks... for j00!

;)

Seriously, if you haven't tried the computer teamed up it's an interesting experience. Human opponents sure are fun and it's interesting to play against people unpredictable... but it's definitely a pain in the butt playing against the perfect teching, building, and coordinating attccking machine.

-Jomero

19. SirLancelot

Jun 10, 2002
    i always play on 12 player maps with two allies and comp opponents on teams of two.

my new favorite map is the forest map under 'Ice Crown' there is one area with two lvl 8 Granite Golems and 6 Troll Trappers.

then there is the two areas with a lvl 10 red drake, a lvl 8 Troll warlord, toe lvl 6 troll beserkers, and 6 troll trappers. talk about a fun fight

20. Wedge 88

Jul 16, 1999
    Comps. Eww.

//flashes of the past, on SC.

The horror. The drama. Death.

21. SirLancelot

Jun 10, 2002
    i go human all the way.

Paladen is pry the best, with devotion and holy light, then resurection.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.