main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

WAREZ ... LET'S CALL IT WHAT IT IS ... STOLEN

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by Semaj Ovured, Aug 2, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Semaj Ovured

Semaj Ovured Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2000
    In a recent post, a newbie wondered why anyone would care if he used "warez," or not.

This made me realize that the term WAREZ, a euphemism ... (mild expression of an offensive fact) ... while it is slang, tends to soften what these programs actually are ... STOLEN ... PIRATED ... etc.

So I suggest that from here on out, we choose to call these programs what they are ... PIRATED PROGRAMS ... STOLEN PROGRAMS, etc.

Let's make it abundantly clear what these programs are so that those who choose to use them to make their films, understand that they are committing theft and that this activity is indeed not condoned.

If it doesn't catch on, it doesn't. But that's just my .02 cents.

Who's pushing? I'm merely holding a discussion on the topic.

I love this "don't preach to me" thing. And then there's the whole PC thing which seeks to use the law to PUSH ON PEOPLE things ...

And this isn't about morality, fourfools, this is about LAW. Piracy is ILLEGAL.

And it was my understanding that the aim of this board was to keep fanfilmaking alive and thriving by speaking out against piracy.

In the end, there is really no difference between pirating some software and trying to sell your fanfilm.

It's all the same.

And besides, most companies offer DEMO versions of their software for people to try and learn.

NOW REALLY LET ME HAVE IT!

2. PixelMagic

PixelMagic Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 8, 2001
    Dude, put a sock in it. No one is going to listen to you. I can't say much because luckily I have access to my software through my girlfriend's dad's place of work. I also will have access to lots of software and equipment at school here soon. I agree that pirating software is wrong. Because the programmers spent many many hours working hard to bring that program, and they should be paid for their efforts. However, if a simple 15 year old boy wants to make a fanfilm and he pirates software to do it, how is it really hurting? He's not making money using the software, is he? No. So, my opinion is, if it doesn't affect YOU personally, don't worry about it, yo.

3. JediTAC

JediTAC Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 30, 2000
    Such anger . . . such intensity . . . . DAMN THAT RAP MUSIC :p

However, if a simple 15 year old boy wants to make a fanfilm and he pirates software to do it, how is it really hurting? He's not making money using the software, is he? No. So, my opinion is, if it doesn't affect YOU personally, don't worry about it, yo.

But what kind of message is that setting, Pixel? Let me see if I understand you correctly . . . . .
    If someone is 15 and steals something, it's okay - so long as it doesn't directly affect YOU?
    There's logic for ya.

What's to stop that same simple 15 year old boy, who discovers how easy and "harmless" it is to download warez from the internet, from learning how to create "harmless little ole viruses," or learn how to hack into various company's computers?

If you are planning on having children someday, Pixel, I sure hope your attitude changes with regard to what is right and wrong . . . . because harmless fun can, sometimes, lead to federal crimes. ;)

4. Semaj Ovured

May 8, 2000
    PixelMagic disagreeing with me? WHAT A SURPRISE?!

I enjoy your debates, Pixel, but your venomous replies (i.e. put a sock in it) leave much to be desired.

I could suggest you take that sock and stick it, but this is a family friendly board.

Let's play nice, huh? We can disagree without the venom.

5. CarlCampbell

CarlCampbell Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 28, 2002
    Rap is not bad! :( Eminem & D12 suck though. They're weirdos and don't make any sense at all ;) I agree with Pixel. WE were just talking about this in the chatroom, I said the exact same thing. Although I might add that no, it does hurt anyone, but it still isnt good.

Carl

6. Shoveler

Shoveler Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 8, 2001
    Oh c'mon guys knock it off. I'm sure almost everybody on this board has at one time or another used warez for some purpose. Even if somebody uses warez for fanfilms does it really matter that much? Sure it's illegal but it's hard to get ahead in this world and doing it truthfully takes a LOT of energy. So I agree with Pixel and have this to say 'lets just enjoy what somebody has made and not worry about HOW they went about it.' I'm sorry if any part of this sounded a bit mean, I didn't intend it to be, just my thoughts.

Shoveler

7. Leigh_Jesani

Leigh_Jesani Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 27, 2002
    I agree...it is stolen. Fortunately, for those 15 year olds without the cash or resources to find the software, there is a lot of freeware out there that can do the same things as AE and Photoshop. I haven't run into any freeware like Premiere, but it's probably out there.

8. morpheous531

morpheous531 Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 1, 2002
    I mean no offense by this when I say this but...

I'm not here to be morally judged by anyone..

I'm 26 yrs old and I know the difference between right and wrong. If I choose the "dark side" well then I'll take responsibility for it.

I mean that in the nicest possible way..:)

9. Leigh_Jesani

Leigh_Jesani Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 27, 2002
    Maybe we should have a link on TFN to the freeware that will accomplish the same thing as the bigger programs. In time, we could get some tutorials up and everything...keep kids from feeling they have to have Photoshop or Ulead.

10. CarlCampbell

Jul 28, 2002
    Um, Leigh, thats already done...

Carl

11. mpfjr

mpfjr Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 8, 2001
    I was thinking of starting a similar thread yesterday after yet another newbie posted asking for help with such a basic functionality of a program that there could be no doubt the person just leeched it off the net.

My method of handling those who steal their software is to simply "not help" them.

The problem is that this board is crammed with questions that are obviously generated by someone who recently downloaded a program illegally and is trying to instantly churn out great effects or animations etc..

grrrrr.
    Oh, and PixelMagic: Sir, It does hurt me personally. Companies have to jack up their prices to make up for the money they lose due to pirates. So it makes it that much more work I have to do to earn that much more $$$$.$$ to pay for the software.

12. PixelMagic

PixelMagic Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 8, 2001
    Yeah, you guys are right. I was a bit harsh, I apologize. I just don't know if you can call it stealing. I mean let's look at it. Stealing means taking something from someone that doesn't belong to you. However, when you PIRATE software, which would be a more accurate term, you are merely making a duplicate copy of software. You aren't really taking software away from anyone, so therefore, you can't steal it. True, you can break a million copyright laws, I agree there. It's like this yo. Say your neighbor has the HOTTEST wife in the world. You'd give anything to have her, but alas she's married. You could have her cheat on her husband, but that would be wrong. So, you go over to her house, pretend to be a doctor, and take a blood sample from her. You ride back out to Kamino and have her cloned. Now, YOU have the HOTTEST wife in the world, but guess what? You didn't steal the original from the husband! How cool is that? Now there are two of the women, and the neighbor got to keep his wife. Therefore, no STEALING ever took place. Well, maybe the stealing of DNA, but you get what I'm saying. What I'm saying is that pirating software, DUPLICATES the software, it doesn't take it away from the original owner.

Anyway, forgive the stupid analogy, ha ha ha.

13. Semaj Ovured

May 8, 2000
    Morpheus, I can at least respect that you are willing to take responsibility for your actions.

And I'm not judging anyone here. I am merely saying that we shouldn't sugar-coat what it is to use a pirated program. That's all I am saying.

And Leigh has a good idea for linking freeware programs so they are easy to find.

As for saying that doing things the right way takes too much energy ... I really don't know what to say about that. A life of crime is always the easy way ... the dark side is always easier, more seductive ...

granted, we're only talking about WAREZ/PIRATED PROGRAMS HERE. Which, in essence, is a victimless crime, but it does indicate an attitude. An attitude to take the easy way ... no matter if it's wrong and as long as it doesn't hurt anyone. I'm don't necessary think that's a good message ...

But like I said ... I don't mean to judge. I only seek to not sugar coat what it means to use pirated software.

If anyone chooses to use them, that's their decision and they should know what it means. And Morpheus is going in with his eyes open and accepting the responsibility for it. That's something, at least.

And that's all I'm saying.

Oh, and the analogy really doens't hold up, Pixel (thanks for the apology, BTW). See, mpfjr is right when he says that because of piracy, he has to work that much more to earn the money to pay for his products legally, so therefore he's a victim as well as the original copyright holder.

Back to Pixel's analogy ... imagine this ... the neighbor sees that you have his wife at the mall or a restaurant ... or he sees you kissing her in a car somewhere ... he doesn't know it's a clone ... so he accuses his wife. Naturally she denies it. Argument insues. The trust is broken, though no one did anything wrong. Separation occurs. They divorce. Not to mention if you violated the wife by taking her DNA without her permission in the first place.

I mean, we can play these games all day long. You can rationalize anything.

Now, REALLY LET ME HAVE IT!

14. Shoveler

Shoveler Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 8, 2001
    Wait, which doctor are you cloning? :D

Hey c'mon Semaj, I take full responsibility for my actions, I never said I didn't. And I didn't say the right way takes TOO much energy I said it takes a LOT of energy. It annoys me when people misquote! I don't mean to be scathing I'm just having a pretty crappy few months.

Shoveler

15. JediTAC

Nov 30, 2000
    OR, you can look at it this way . . . ..

The more people that pirate the software and DO NOT pay for it, the more money the company loses. Before you know it, the company can no longer support it's employees . . . people lose their jobs . . . the company files for bankruptcy, and the next thing you know . . . BYE BYE 3D STUDIO MAX, LIGHTWAVE, MAYA, etc.

Sure, you can say that this view is extreme . . . but it is a viable REALITY, like it or not.

16. yodafett999

yodafett999 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 24, 2000
    I download warez. I download mp3s. I download television shows that are no longer on the air. I download bootlegged copies of theatrical releases that I would never pay for and would eventually catch on cable (which I do pay for) which merely ups the timeframe on when I watch it. I won't be stopping this anytime soon.

I buy the albums of bands I really enjoy and want to support. I pay for the films that I really want to see in all their glory. I buy software that I really want to use on a regular basis and want to have all the perks and benefits of that purchase to help me through it if I run into problems.

17. fourfools

fourfools Jedi Master star 4

Dec 11, 2000
    [image=http://www.gamers-forums.com/smilies/contrib/tweetz/headshake.gif]

not again...

18. DarthMoves

DarthMoves Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 2, 2002
    HI, I just got After Effects and I was wondering if anyone knew how to make lightsabers?

19. CarlCampbell

Jul 28, 2002
    TO what TAC said: Noooooooooooooooooo! I admit having wares too. But if I ever release anything to gain a profit from, I will have at least some ideals and buy a license first, and erm.... wasnt this sorta thing that Lucasfilm isnt supposed to find out about? [face_plain]

Carl

20. mpfjr

mpfjr Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 8, 2001
    I just got Photoshop 7 and my line tool is always an arrow. How can I make it into a line again?

EDIT: After Effects 5.5 for $200.00? Too good to be true?

E-Bay Auction[/b]

21. JediTAC

Nov 30, 2000
    Well then, yodafett . . .
    I lump you right in there with the other types of people who smoke in public places and around children, and then proclaim that they have every right to smoke whenever/wherever they want - when in reality what they really are are attempted murderers who don't care who is breathing in their unfiltered second hand smoke.

Then these same morons try to sue the tobacco companies because they developed lung cancer.
    You know what I say to that ... THEY DESERVE IT.

So, yodafett . . . . when the Software Police come knocking on your door to take you to the Federal Penetentiary,
    be sure to write to us, m'kay? I'm sure the guy who lost his job because the software company he was working for went belly up due to lost profits as a result of pirating would be glad to hear from ya. ;)

22. BrentK7

BrentK7 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 20, 2000
    the way I see it if you have to Pirat the software to learn it and then buy a licence b4 you make any money what is the problem. Everybody wins, you win because you knew how to use the software when you dropped all that money for it, and the software developers got paid. So it is kinda like taking a car for a test drive, to see if you like the feel, but not having to setttle for those freeware restrictions like not being able to save your project and all, cause be serious now, how much can you learn if you are unable to save your project.

23. Semaj Ovured

May 8, 2000
    "There's not much at this point that anyone can do about it. The whole issue of piracy and copyright in the digital age is a very, very large issue. If control isn't exercised in some form or another, it's going to be very hard for many people to stay in business. Smaller films will be the result."
    - George Lucas

Lucas: Piracy Plagues Filmmaking

So, it's guys like YodaFett we may be able to thank for the end of filmmaking as we know it. Or the end of big budget films like Star Wars. Because they would rather pirate than pay.

And it's guys that that we can thank for legislation going before congress that will allow Hollywood and record companies to legally hack peer to peer networks, personal computers, etc. We have guys like this to thank for Hollywood seeking more control over TIVO ... to the point where TIVO, and other services having to fight against more control ... translation ... higher prices ...

There is no victimless crime here. Only selfish individuals who don't give a damn who they hurt to get their freebies.

24. fourfools

fourfools Jedi Master star 4

Dec 11, 2000
    does this fighting ever end?

it doesn't matter who uses it or doesn't, if someone chooses to find, just keep quiet about it, and just leave them alone, we all have different morals and ethics, and we can't push ours onto other people

[image=http://www.uniquehardware.co.uk/server-smilies/ups/unknown/lsvader.gif]

25. Fremen

Fremen Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 10, 2001
    Remember TAC, you can't spell crap without rap. :p

;)
    Kyle

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.